Proposal: Would you trade Laine for Eichel?

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Nope. Never. For all the reasons mentioned above, and also because of the added bonus of Paty being a goofball. I just love having this guy on our team. He's like Ovechkin, but also a muppet.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
It would be a weird universe where picks like this are even considered being traded, but if for some reason we were valuing them.

McDavid - yes (possible he would have had 2 x 100 point seasons if he could play last season). Lives up to the hype in every way.
Matthews - yes (right now he's as good or better than Laine at most things) + center
Eichel - think Laine has more potential we'll see - possibly even enough to easily make up for the position difference. Laine had more points than Eichel in less games played during his first season on NA ice, etc. Lots of little things adding up lead me to putting Laine on same tier as Eichel.

Eichel's great don't me wrong but I think 2016 was a better year to pick 2nd.

Would hurt Buffalo in the long run though as we already have an Eichel type player in Scheifele and this team needs someone like that as unless Laine becomes perennial 50+ goal scorer its not guarantee it will make up for loss of Eichel for Buffalo.

Last edited:

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
When did we let people talk about Eichel in the same company as the other top recent players, haha? Would not trade. Eichel hasn't proven anything.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Not a chance, he has over achieved as an 18 yr old and could be as good as Ovi. Once he puts on a little more muscle in the next 3 or 4 years he will be very hard to move off the puck. Why trade a franchise winger that may actually like playing in the Peg? I say no, he belongs in Winnipeg. We got him very cheap (Chevy fell into a bathtub of lucky charms and won the lottery) and he will likely be amazing/exciting to watch for many years to come.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I wouldn't make any assumptions based on Eichel's interview. He has every right to be frustrated about his team - I would be livid too, if I missed 21 games and still topped my team in scoring at 20 years old.

Both teams would stand pat in a situation like this, but if a trade occurred, I would be happy. A choice between Laine and Eichel is not one you can **** up.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Nope. Never. For all the reasons mentioned above, and also because of the added bonus of Paty being a goofball. I just love having this guy on our team. He's like Ovechkin, but also a muppet.

I should make this my signature. :laugh:

I'd consider the trade, but I think I prefer Laine.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
If this team didn't have Scheifele, I probably would because having #1 center is something you need more than anything. But since we already have our #1 center, I wouldn't trade Laine since as far as I'm concerned you'll get a lot more value in the long run with Scheifele/Laine duo than with Scheifele/Eichel.

JPC

Oct 27, 2014
I may be piling on, but NO.
- not filling a position of need,
- lose of year of player control,
- chemistry in our room seems solid, why upset the apple cart?
- Jack is skilled, but he lacks FINNish.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013

Feel free!

Totally forgot about this until you replied, but a friend of mine makes muppet style puppets, and someone commissioned her to make this

And now it's my avatar lol

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am ok with Laine over Jack but its hard to go wrong with either of them. As many have said we have our #1 scoring centre and Eichel is a hell of a talent but something rubs me the wrong way with Jack and I can't put my finger on it (interview notwithstanding because I have no problem with what he said and in some ways I like him more for saying it).

Last edited:

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
911fb5cb4b8b4661f9e15b4ab6c06b25.jpg

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
When did we let people talk about Eichel in the same company as the other top recent players, haha? Would not trade. Eichel hasn't proven anything.

This aint true...he had a great rookie year and this year he proved to be his teams best forward.

Facing toughest matchups and topping out in points on his team, despite missing ~games.... almost ppg aswell..

Add to that he he missed those games due to a high ankle sprain which are quite notorius and his achievements this season are even more impressive.

Seems dishonest to say he has not proven anything...

Sabres without eichel is basically a panthers withour Barkov

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
This aint true...he had a great rookie year and this year he proved to be his teams best forward.

Facing toughest matchups and topping out in points on his team, despite missing ~games.... almost ppg aswell..

Add to that he he missed those games due to a high ankle sprain which are quite notorius and his achievements this season are even more impressive.

Seems dishonest to say he has not proven anything...

Sabres without eichel is basically a panthers withour Barkov

He missed ~20 games

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I'd consider the trade, but I think I prefer Laine.

You have all summer to use your talent to merge Laine and Miss Piggy, Fozzy Bear or any other muppet of your choice.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Eichel will not be going anywhere. he is a player you build around and it will be interesting to see if there are some player movements in the Sabres camp this offseason.

I take it back, not easily. I like him though, he is a top notch player from the games I watched of buffalo this season.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I might do it, doubt Buffalo would. Scheifele Eichel Little would be the best depth at Centre I can rmbr since Crosby Malkin Staal.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I might do it, doubt Buffalo would. Scheifele Eichel Little would be the best depth at Centre I can rmbr since Crosby Malkin Staal.

One day we'd have to pay all 3 though... that's why I wouldn't do it. Eichel and Scheif are both better suited at C and to move one of them to the wing or pay 6-8 mil for Eichel at 2C would suck.

I'd say he's arguably a better player than Laine (right now) but things could change and also with Scheif here, he would never get his shot to shine as the 1C. If we didn't have Scheif, absolutely I'd do that trade.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
One day we'd have to pay all 3 though... that's why I wouldn't do it. Eichel and Scheif are both better suited at C and to move one of them to the wing or pay 6-8 mil for Eichel at 2C would suck.

I'd say he's arguably a better player than Laine (right now) but things could change and also with Scheif here, he would never get his shot to shine as the 1C. If we didn't have Scheif, absolutely I'd do that trade.

We are going to have to pay all 3 regardless of whether that 3 is the group we have or the group with Eichel. #1C #2C #3C is in name only all 3 lines would play a tonne.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Feel free!

Totally forgot about this until you replied, but a friend of mine makes muppet style puppets, and someone commissioned her to make this

And now it's my avatar lol

That is one damn awesome muppet. :laugh::handclap:

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
I love Laine but would made that trade in a heart beat. Sabres would never make that trade though. and they shouldnt.
Having Scheif and Eichel as 1a/1b centers like crosby and malkin in pittsburg would be awesome. Will never happen tho, and as it is, I am happy with a possible franchise winger in Laine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad