Would you trade Kessel for Patrice Bergeron straight up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerRoeper*

Not as ridiculous as people in this thread seem to think. I wouldn't do it, but not because Bergeron isn't good enough. He'd be our real #1 center, it would just be a sideways move. And trading a younger player for one whos another concussion away from early retirement.

He'd only be our top centre because we're terribly weak there. He's not a true number 1. Kessel is a true top line star however.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not as ridiculous as people in this thread seem to think. I wouldn't do it, but not because Bergeron isn't good enough. He'd be our real #1 center, it would just be a sideways move. And trading a younger player for one whos another concussion away from early retirement.

Yeah it is as ridiculous as many seem to think.

anderson3133

Apr 14, 2010
Kitchener
If Bergeron is a "softy", what does that make Kessel? Feel free to answer this question when Phil throws hits like these:

Hits =/= Toughness.

Bergeron is seldom seen in the corners as a result of his concussion issues. If I wanted another player like that on the Leafs I would be more than glad to have Bergeron, just not at the expense of Kessel.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bergeron would be a fantastic addition but I'd call a ban on any deals with the Bruins unless we're getting multiple assets in return who are younger and have higher upside, i.e. get Seguin and Hamilton. Just can't afford to make any deals that might help them.

Also, it's kind of ironic that the Leafs traded away a pick that would end up being their best bet at a number one center, while the Bruins are busy trying to turn Seguin into a speedy scoring winger to replace Phil Kessel.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Just throwing in here that Bergeron is the reigning Selke winner...For the talk of him being soft, I thought I'd contribute a factual statement about his play...

Anyway, it's a trade that might help the Leafs, but it's not one you make with a talent like Kessel...

Last edited:

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Kessel puts up way too many points and plays nearly a full season every year

Last four seasons games missed:

Kessel - 24 games
Bergeron - 30 games

Plus, Bergeron has played an extra 54 playoff games during that time...

I think we might be past Bergeron being an injury concern.

Freak concussion concerns, yes, day-to-day concerns, no.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
As a bruins fan I would never make this trade. Bergeron brings something to the bruins no score sheet could justify. He is def a top two way centre.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Bergeron would be a fantastic addition but I'd call a ban on any deals with the Bruins unless we're getting multiple assets in return who are younger and have higher upside, i.e. get Seguin and Hamilton. Just can't afford to make any deals that might help them.

Also, it's kind of ironic that the Leafs traded away a pick that would end up being their best bet at a number one center, while the Bruins are busy trying to turn Seguin into a speedy scoring winger to replace Phil Kessel.

This trade doesn't help Boston. It helps the leafs. Leaf fans don't see Bergeron play on a regular basis. We are talking about a defence first playmaker with amazing hockey sense. Oh and maybe the biggest heart on the team. Bergeron would get 70-80 points under the leafs system.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
How is this thread not locked yet? Surely the OP couldn't have thought this was a serious question.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Yeah it is as ridiculous as many seem to think.

Yeah? Boston would never do this trade.

Do people forget that Bergeron plays a more valuable position? Is considered one of, if not the single best defensive centre in the league right now? And yet still has a higher career PPG than Kessel over significantly more games, evne with a serious concussion thrown in? Is not even 2 years older?

It's a sideways move for the Leafs because it gives up something we need for something we need. It's not ridiculous in terms of comparative value of the players. You can count the number of people in this thread who arent terrible Leafs homers on one hand and have fingers to spare.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
As a bruins fan I would never make this trade. Bergeron brings something to the bruins no score sheet could justify. He is def a top two way centre.

The question isn't put to Bruin fans, no one cares or expects that they would make this trade.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yeah? Boston would never do this trade.

Do people forget that Bergeron plays a more valuable position? Is considered one of, if not the single best defensive centre in the league right now? And yet still has a higher career PPG than Kessel over significantly more games? Is not even 2 years older?

It's a sideways move for the Leafs because it gives up something we need for something we need. It's not ridiculous in terms of comparative value of the players. You can count the number of people in this thread who arent terrible Leafs homers on one hand and have fingers to spare.

Since this is the LEAF board what Boston would do is of no concern. This would make NO SENSE to the LEAFS.

I do realize it's cool to be a Realist. Only a Homer would think the Leafs might have a decent player in Kessel.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
This thread got all of my contribution that it deserved then. Thats how ridiculous this proposal is.

Fine.

But you're letting the opportunity to realize that basing an opinion worthy of "#nuffsaid" on another fan's individual opinion might be hasty slip away.

I wouldn't make the trade either, but considering that Bergeron is central to the Bruins style of play, kills penalties, puts up 60pts a year, appears to be progressing into more of the point getter he was pre-concussion, and is a Selke winner, it's not a "ridiculous" proposal in my opinion.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Since this is the LEAF board what Boston would do is of no concern. This would make NO SENSE to the LEAFS.

It's homer to think that Kessel is so much better than Bergeron that the mere idea of swapping the two is too ridiculous to even utter out loud. That's not why the trade doesn't make sense.

I do realize it's cool to be a Realist. Only a Homer would think the Leafs might have a decent player in Kessel.

Nobody ever said Kessel isn't a great player, did they? So who exactly is that addressed to?

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Kessel Produced a lot more, with a lot less to work with. no way i'd move him for bergeron

The difference between their goalscoring abilities is way, way smaller than the difference in absolutely everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad