Would you trade Kessel for Patrice Bergeron straight up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
No. If Burke wishes to attract players to Toronto, what message is he sending by trading away the player who will define his time in Toronto.

There are many hockey reasons why Kessel should stay but on a more personal level he's shy and awkward like me. He's playing in one of the toughest markets in sports and isn't clawing to get out so I respect that.

DaveT83*

lol I'm one of Kessels biggest critics and even I wouldn't do that deal.

Kessel for a Top6 Power Forward + Blue Chip Goalie prospect or go home.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, no.

Patrice Bergeron is a great player...and I'd love to have this guy on the Leafs because he's an extremely hard worker, great defensively, and an all round player but if you give up Kessel for Bergeron, you not only lose your elite scoring threat...the offense that Bergeron would produce would be drastically less because there is no Lucic, or Seguin to help on offense.

Lucic is the biggest factor here...the amount of space that this guy opens up for his linemates is ridiculous...even when Lucic isn't scoring, he's still a player that teams have to keep under control.

Bergeron = best center we'd have since Sundin. In short...our D gets better but our offense takes a HUGE dip.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Not as ridiculous as people in this thread seem to think. I wouldn't do it, but not because Bergeron isn't good enough. He'd be our real #1 center, it would just be a sideways move. And trading a younger player for one whos another concussion away from early retirement.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
it would be the biggest troll by Burke towards leafs fans right before he got fired to do some deal like this.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The question is irrelevant, as it takes 2 to tango in any hockey trade.

Since Boston resigned Patrice Bergeron and traded Phil Kessel we already know which player they value most.. Since then they went on to win the Stanley Cup validating their decision, they wouldn't make this 1-1 trade, so even if the Leafs would want to, it becomes an non issue as a result.

Bergeron is considered one of the best 2 way players in the game today. His +36 +/- ranked him #1 in the NHL overall last year.. Since strong defense wins championships and championships is the ultimate goal of every team, Bergeron would be hard to extract from Boston by most teams, not only the Leafs never mind the price of acquisition it would take. Besides in Boston its players are required to focus and play both ends of the ice effectively.

anderson3133

Apr 14, 2010
Kitchener
The question is irrelevant, in that it takes 2 to tango..

Since Boston resigned Patrice Bergeron and traded Phil Kessel we already know which player they value most.. Since then they went on to win the Stanley Cup validating their decision, so they would not make this 1-1 trade, so even if the Leafs would want to, it becomes an non issue.

Bergeron is considered one of the best 2 way players in the game today. His +36 +/- ranked him #1 in the NHL overall last year.. Since strong defense wins championships and championships is the ultimate goal of every team, Bergeron would be hard to extract from Boston by most teams, not only the Leafs never mind the price of acquisition it would take. Besides in Boston its players are required to focus and play both ends of the ice effectively.

I'm sure teams have never traded to reacquire a player they let go in the past :sarcasm:

Descendent*

I wouldn't be surprised with a Kessel for Bobby Ryan trade.. if a trade were to take place.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised with a Kessel for Bobby Ryan trade.. if a trade were to take place.

what would be the point of this trade? a bird in the hand right....

leafs know what they have with kessel and he is only getting better. he works with what we have and burke paid a **** load to get him here. ryan would be amazing to have on the leafs but the goal would be to add ryan to what we have not make lateral moves at best.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The question is irrelevant, as it takes 2 to tango in any hockey trade.

Since Boston resigned Patrice Bergeron and traded Phil Kessel we already know which player they value most.. Since then they went on to win the Stanley Cup validating their decision, they wouldn't make this 1-1 trade, so even if the Leafs would want to, it becomes an non issue as a result.

Not surprised.

Be very surprised.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Just read a week ago that a Bruin fan thought that Bergeron was the most over-rated player on their roster.

#nuffsaid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad