Speculation: Would you trade for Lecavalier?

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
But he could be Montreal's saviour! Our very own Clarkson!
Clarkson could be our very own Clarkson if we were willing to pick up his contract, I expect. But that wouldn't bring the same Legendary aura that Lecavalier would. And the very legendariness would make it all the more agonizing for Habdom as the years slowly and painfully ticked off Lecavalier's contract and the various factions pitted themselves against eachother. :yo:

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
No, just no. We have to stop acquiring forwards who are obviously past their prime. We have youngsters who could bring exactly what Lecavalier brings (or better) at a cheaper price.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The second I read the aricle that Philly wanted to trade him I had a sinking feeling in the very core of my being that this thread we going to occur.

I'll ask now what I thought yesterday. Why on God's green, glorious Earth would Montreal want Lecavalier's contract now, a year removed from us not matching it and after the disasteroud year he had, yet again?

This guy is done like dinner. He will never be the Lecavalier of days yonder and he will only get worse and worse as will his contract.

Maybe now that he's a has-been and no one else wants him will he try to play for the one team in the NHL that's been pining for him since before he was drafted. Now I hope we return in kind the same desire Lacavalier showed to us when he had the opportunity to play for his home town and politley tell him to GTFO.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The second I read the aricle that Philly wanted to trade him I had a sinking feeling in the very core of my being that this thread we going to occur.

I'll ask now what I thought yesterday. Why on God's green, glorious Earth would Montreal want Lecavalier's contract now, a year removed from us not matching it and after the disasteroud year he had, yet again?

This guy is done like dinner. He will never be the Lecavalier of days yonder and he will only get worse and worse as will his contract.

Maybe now that he's a has-been and no one else wants him will he try to play for the one team in the NHL that's been pining for him since before he was drafted. Now I hope we return in kind the same desire Lacavalier showed to us when he had the opportunity to play for his home town and politley tell him to GTFO.

Trading for Lecavalier is about the last thing I expect MB to do.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
No, just no. We have to stop acquiring forwards who are obviously past their prime. We have youngsters who could bring exactly what Lecavalier brings (or better) at a cheaper price.
I say that to myself too, but Jagr and Iginla keep getting me wrong. Few years ago, Lidstrom.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Difference being those are good players. Lecavalier had a single elite season(maybe two).

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
St.Vinny, I wouldn't take him as a gift, brings to mind beware of Greeks baring gifts, so just a Buyer Beware, gas prices are going up and Lecavalier will want more to play his game in Montreal like a false Gladiator would?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Trading for Lecavalier is about the last thing I expect MB to do.

He would NEVER trade for him. He made him an offer last year, it was rejected for a better offer, Habs moved on. Why would he now agree to Lacavalier's terms when he didn't the last time around and Vinny has been terrible since?

That's the fun part about the thread, the complete nonsensicalness of it. :handclap:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Maybe if he only had a year or 2 two but three? Nope. He had his chances to come play in Montreal and has passed on them.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
He would NEVER trade for him. He made him an offer last year, it was rejected for a better offer, Habs moved on. Why would he now agree to Lacavalier's terms when he didn't the last time around and Vinny has been terrible since?

That's the fun part about the thread, the complete nonsensicalness of it. :handclap:

Molson was involved in the wooing process and how often does that happen? I'm not sure how things work but I always thought the final say went to ownership, so I'm not that concerned what Bergevin thinks.

-----

Molson: I heard Philly was looking to trade Lecavalier?

MB: We decided to move on.

Molson: I want to thank you for your services and I'll miss you very much. My buddy McGuire would do the deal if he was GM, maybe that's a direction our organization should be heading.

MB: Now that I had a chance to think about it, you are absolutely right. Lecavalier is exactly what we need and we can fit him into our system beautifully.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Molson was involved in the wooing process and how often does that happen? I'm not sure how things work but I always thought the final say went to ownership, so I'm not that concerned what Bergevin thinks.

-----

Molson: I heard Philly was looking to trade Lecavalier?

MB: We decided to move on.

Molson: I want to thank you for your services and I'll miss you very much. My buddy McGuire would do the deal if he was GM, maybe that's a direction our organization should be heading.

MB: Now that I had a chance to think about it, you are absolutely right. Lecavalier is exactly what we need and we can fit him into our system beautifully.

Molson is the boss, but if he's this meddlesome in hockey ops, the team has big problems. We're still getting over Ronald Corey.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Molson is the boss, but if he's this meddlesome in hockey ops, the team has big problems. We're still getting over Ronald Corey.

Maybe JM is...but I'm sure he also trusts MB's skill as GM and wants to keep him. Can't see MB having a hard time convincing JM that Lecavalier is a bad contract and declining player regardless of what province he is from.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

I doubt he meddles very often but if someone he wants, he'll let it be known.

I think owners meddle a lot more then most people realize, maybe not in the day to day operations but in the overall direction and a player here and a player there.

MontrealCanadiens*

Wouldn't even give up a 5th for that garbage contract. Lecavalier is done. Imagine him 2 years from now.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I doubt he meddles very often but if someone he wants, he'll let it be known.

I think owners meddle a lot more then most people realize, maybe not in the day to day operations but in the overall direction and a player here and a player there.

This situation has nuance. Molson is part of the ownership group , he's also the President. I would look for a President, who often times has a hockey background, to buffer between ownership and the GM. In this case, ownership is the buffer and he has limited hockey knowledge. Ugh.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
Lecavalier is one of those special players who is going to get bought out twice. Do not want to be the next team to do it.

Frankly taking on that contract should cost less than nothing. Philly should have to give Lecavalier plus just to be rid of the contract. Of course that was true of Gomez when we gave up a fortune anyway.

Please no.

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
On contract value, Desharnais is miles above Lecavalier right now. Shorter term, less money for a much better player. This isn't 2002-2008 prime Vince we're going to get, it's the washed up one. Brière is pretty much the same as Lecavalier as far as player quality goes right now, and he's signed only for 1 more year, not 4 (holy poop, FOUR) more.

Lecavalier's contract is a big mess because it's 5 years instead of 2. That Philly was ready to give him 5 years shows why he didn't pick the Habs. He's not crazy!

And, you'd want to send a 2nd their way as well? My oh my. You're really overrating 2014 Lecavalier and underrating Desharnais, who's a BARGAIN at his cap hit.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I love it when teams jam themselves with stupid contracts. No need to give any of them a lifeline.

That is why I love Bergies thoughts on free agency, it's a trap.

Develop consistently, sign your own players to fair contracts, build goodwill . Let teams like the Leafs and Flyers hang themselves with their cheque books.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad