Would you trade Bogosian for Sam Reinhart str8 up on draft day?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I'm not predicting leaps but I'm expecting a trend away from the 'wtf' moments that were a little too common in 13-14. No need to name names, Corey Perry knows what I'm talking about. But I really think that Bogo's season issues were in his head and that a fresh training camp will get him off on the right foot.

I had a chance to meet Zach at a charity golf tourney a while back and he struck me as one of the most focused, intense athletes I'd ever met. If he can channel that intensity I expect he'd have a high ceiling indeed.

Valuable d-man imho. Still an untouchable for me.

m.

I didn't think the WTF moments were any more frequent this year than they have been in the past. There were just a couple really ugly ones. I was hoping for big progress defensively, didn't see it. That is where I am at.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Love Bogo but my main issue with Zach is injuries, there is a very real chance that his body will not be able to support his style of play for more than 60 games a season. Also how healthy will Zach be in the 60 he is in the lineup for? I still think as he ages "if" he stays healthy and we get his usage and D partner figured out we have a heck of an asset but this could easily go the other direction. Over his last 3 seasons he is averaging 59 games played or 23 lost games per season (Strike shorted season adjusted). I was hoping the lost games would have gotten better after his wrist surgery but last season was the worst yet? There is nobody I am pulling for more than Bogo.

I am a very big Sam Reinhart fan and he is definitely my favorite player in this draft. I thought he looked excellent at the world juniors which is uncommon for a kid in his draft year. 6’1” very high compete, high character, and his defensive game is outstanding. He has all the tools on offense vision, shot, passing and he has as good a hockey IQ as I have seen on a kid his age. He is as close to a can’t miss player as you will get IMO.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Love Bogo but my main issue with Zach is injuries, there is a very real chance that his body will not be able to support his style of play for more than 60 games a season. Also how healthy will Zach be in the 60 he is in the lineup for or is he playing injured? I still think as he ages "if" he stays healthy and we get his usage and D partner figured out we have a heck of an asset but this could easily go the other direction. Over his last 3 seasons he is averaging 59 games played or 23 lost games per season (Strike shorted season adjusted). I was hoping the lost games would have gotten better after his wrist surgery but last season was the worst yet? There is nobody I am pulling for more than Bogo.

I am a very big Sam Reinhart fan and he is definitely my favorite player in this draft. I thought he looked excellent at the world juniors which is uncommon for a kid in his draft year. 6’1†very high compete, high character, and his defensive game is outstanding. He has all the tools on offense vision, shot, passing and he has as good a hockey IQ as I have seen on a kid his age. He is as close to a can’t miss player as you will get IMO.

All of this. Good post as usual.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
No.

I'm hoping that last season was just a blip in his development.

I think it was mostly a blip from a production standpoint. He's definitely still capable of producing 30+ points in a season if he stays healthy, and his ability to drive the play forward at 5v5 will always be a strength.

The problem with Bogosian has always been his ability to prevent shots against, and he has shown precious little improvement in that area since his rookie year.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
People seem to be underrating Bogosian here I think. He's more of a 2/3 guy than a 'second pairing' guy. At 23 and after some injury filled years I definitely think he still has upside.

Rienhart will probably be a good top 6 center with the chance of being great. Bogosian is a good top 3 D man with the chance of being great. This trade gives the Jets all the risk while at the same time giving up on a guy they thought was core a year ago.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
It would not look good after signing Bogo to a massive extension to flip him to a lottery team right before his NMC kicks in.

But I think it would be the right move for the franchise from a hockey point of view.

Are we not a lottery team as well?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I voted no, since I like what Zach brings and I thought his play was fine for the most part last year. He started the year with Troubs, playing on his off-side, and I thought that pairing was very effective. When the defensive troubles started with Buff, and he was moved to forward - with Bogo then paired with Toby, his play seemed to stagnate a bit. I just don't think Toby and Bogo read off each other well. Their stats might be ok, but they don't seem to move the puck well when paired together,IMO. But he was still a plus player and effective 5v5.

Then the injuries happen. Injuries are a bit if a concern, and I would like to see him put together a few 70+ game seasons. I think he's a 2/3 dman and is a valued member of the team, especially with his teammates.

He's been asked to be a shut down dman, but I'd rather he's paired with a smart, defensive-minded dman who is good at it (we haven't had that, IMO), and Bogo takes on a more offensive game. He skates the puck out of trouble very well, and doesn't usually give it up (right Cory Perry). I think more offensive minded Bogo could get near 10 goals and 30-40 pts. I'm hoping that happens next season.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
People seem to be underrating Bogosian here I think. He's more of a 2/3 guy than a 'second pairing' guy. At 23 and after some injury filled years I definitely think he still has upside.

Rienhart will probably be a good top 6 center with the chance of being great. Bogosian is a good top 3 D man with the chance of being great. This trade gives the Jets all the risk while at the same time giving up on a guy they thought was core a year ago.

These are exactly my thoughts!

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
No guarantee Reinhart becomes an NHL player? Come on, he's on the World Championship roster already lol

80% he plays NHL next season, let alone ever...

Oh I know. I'm sure he will play in the NHL as well, and I believe he will be a top player. But he could get an injury this off season and never play a game. While the same thing could go for Bogo as well, he is a proven NHL player right now, and Reinhart is not.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
Bogo has injury issues. He's also one of the strongest/most fit players in the league. He can play 30minutes without tiring if his play warranted. It's the 25-28 year old Bogosian that I would not want to trade, especially for a rookie with 0 gp and no guarantees on his ceiling. Just one opinion, though, and I do see why there could be a valid discussion from both sides.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Jets fans are really out to lunch if they think they could get Sam Reinhart for Bogo. There isn't a GM in the league that wouldn't make that trade. You wouldn't even get the 4th overall pick for him....in my opinion.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
What are the subsequent steps? Move Buff back to D? Now what are we doing up front in Buff's spot? Also, if we're moving Bogo straight up for a guy who's not going to be in the lineup next year (he really shouldn't be), are we going to move Ladd and Buff too? Might as well if we're not trying to win next year or the next.

Moving Bogo for Reinhart and doing nothing else would be the definition of not picking a direction.

I would agree with this line of thinking. First of all I'm fundamentally opposed to trading core pieces for picks that one day may develop into players of approximately equal value to the player you traded away. IMO picks and prospects get overvalued on HF, because we rate them by what we believe to be their top end to be. The problem is many if not most picks and prospects never become what we dreamed they would be. Their is a lot of risk in this type of moves.

That being said, you can make an argument for a full bore rebuild, but Bogo would be a bad choice to trade if that was you plan since he is young enough to group with the next generation of picks and prospects and he is price controlled for the next 6 years. Not to mention he has shown tremendous leadership with the young players like Trouba and Scheifele. If a rebuild was your plan starting with Buff and other members of the older core makes a lot more sense as they are unlikely to link well with the young kids you will be bringing in over the next few years.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Aren't picks and prospects more overrated?
Bogo has warts, but he IS an NHL player. We know that.
Can we say the same for Reinhart?

IMO nothing on HFBoards comes close to the overrating of draft picks. Especially among the fan bases of the perpetual also runs. Edmonton being the primary example, but to a lesser extend a host of other franchises including the Jets. Every top 10 pick is seen as the next franchise player that will lead the team to the promised land. If this were actually the case the Jets would be among the league's best teams.

In the 15 year history of the franchise (Atlanta & Winnipeg) we have had 12 top 10 picks (including this up coming draft).

Including:
2 - #1
2 - #2
1 - #3
1 - #4
1 - #7
2 - #8
2 - #9
1 - #10

Add to that #12 (Little) and # 13 (Morrissey).

Drafting high is something we have done lots of, maybe only second to teams like the Oilers and Panthers who are among the perennial bottom feeders. Yet we have only made the playoff once and have yet to win a playoff game.

I believe in the draft and develop model, but only if it is followed by the player playing a role on the current team rather then trade developed player for a new pick to draft and develop.

To me this discussion goes beyond the 2 players in question. Reinhart for Bogo, as any deal can make sense in isolation, but to a bigger picture of does this franchise have a plan and direction. Because if gets in a mode of trading actual players for picks we will flounder season after season.

Not only that you start undermining the foundation of the team. Chipman has been pretty vocal about wanting players that want to be here (Winnipeg). Probably no player on the team has bought into that more than Bogo. He signed a 7 year contract, has got involved in the community, built a house, brought in the team's prized rookie as a room mate etc. If players see foundation guys like that dealt for picks, you will have a very hard time selling the we value loyalty angle to players. We are not a market like new York of Philly that can get away moving players in and out on a carousel.

IMO our only hope is an extremely stable franchise that develops within and have players who chose to stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00