Would you trade Bogosian for Sam Reinhart str8 up on draft day?

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I couldn't disagree more amigo.

Doughty is excellent defensively. Bogo is kinda the opposite of that. He is more comparable to Voynov or Muzzin in that regard than Doughty IMO and I might take either of those guys over him.

I would see him as no better than the fourth best D man in LA. Same goes for Stl. He gets lost a lot in the D zone and kinda sucks at shot / chance suppression.

I see him as pretty well a pure offensive D man who is being mis-cast.

If Bogo is Doughty, Toby is Lindstrom.

THEN WHY DOES EVERYBODY LOVE HIM SO MUCh???!!!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!111!!11!!!!!!!1///???!!!!one

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
There's a common school of thought that says a player who just signed a big contract often has a down year. It contrasts with the player in the last year of a contract that tries to overachieve to earn another contract.

I don't know if any stats types {cough - rhymes with carrot - cough} have mythbusted the 'first year letdown' urban legend or not but if it holds water it gives reason for optimism about Zach Bogosian circa 2014-15.

m.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
There's a common school of thought that says a player who just signed a big contract often has a down year. It contrasts with the player in the last year of a contract that tries to overachieve to earn another contract.

I don't know if any stats types {cough - rhymes with carrot - cough} have mythbusted the 'first year letdown' urban legend or not but if it holds water it gives reason for optimism about Zach Bogosian circa 2014-15.

m.
I suspect the contact year thing works out as much as it fails.

Example: Devin Setoguchi

But nobody talks about it when a player has a down year going into a contract year, just like nobody lauds Ladd or Little for having career years after signing.

Daddy Longlegs

Aug 6, 2012
Call me a skeptic, but IMO:

Bogo is ideally a #3 (on a good team) right now and a fairly mediocre one. He is nowhere near a Doughty or Weber and IMO unlikely to ever achieve that kind of height. I mean he is miles behind where they were at his age.

I would love to see it, but I just don't think he has the hockey sense to get anywhere near there.

In the future:

I fully anticipate Trouba will jump him within a year and I wouldn't be surprised if Morrissey did the same they year after. Bogo is a great athlete.

This

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Call me a skeptic, but IMO:

Bogo is ideally a #3 (on a good team) right now and a fairly mediocre one. He is nowhere near a Doughty or Weber and IMO unlikely to ever achieve that kind of height. I mean he is miles behind where they were at his age.

I would love to see it, but I just don't think he has the hockey sense to get anywhere near there.

In the future:

I fully anticipate Trouba will jump him within a year and I wouldn't be surprised if Morrissey did the same they year after. Bogo is a great athlete.

Truck this is a very interesting post, especially in light that you voted no that you wouldn't trade Bogo for Reinhart. There is probably only a small handful of posters on the board that have your grasp/insight into potential picks and their value. If you could share more I'd appreciate it. My take is a athletic big bodied minute eater at #3 is more valuable than the unknown of a draft pick?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I couldn't disagree more amigo.

Doughty is excellent defensively. Bogo is kinda the opposite of that. He is more comparable to Voynov or Muzzin in that regard than Doughty IMO and I might take either of those guys over him.

I would see him as no better than the fourth best D man in LA. Same goes for Stl. He gets lost a lot in the D zone and kinda sucks at shot / chance suppression.

I see him as pretty well a pure offensive D man who is being mis-cast.

If Bogo is Doughty, Toby is Lindstrom.

Good post

Can you expand for me how one suppresses shots/chances? I have heard you mention it before but is this a possession thing or is it actually defending well without the puck?

It would be interesting to see Bogosian put back into a more offensive role with a good defending partner (the Haines was good at this). LA combines a defender with a puck mover and I like the variety.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
This was the statistic that stood out most for me:

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?disp=1&db=201114&sit=5v5&pos=skaters&minutes=500&teamid=2&type=corsi&sort=A20&sortdir=ASC

Taking a three year sample, Bogo is near the bottom in terms of shot attempts against (aka Corsi) or a per 20 minute basis. Keep in mind that this is a bit of a messy list, there are lots of players like Ellerby and Pardy that have their numbers with other teams factoring in to the totals. Nevertheless, it doesn't paint a pretty picture.

Now if you sort the column on the left, it might put a smile back on your face. Bogo does create quite a bit of offense!

Bogo is more or less the player that so many people seem to think Dustin Byfuglien is. He produces a good amount of offense, but he is average at best defensively. Maybe he doesn't have the same amount of glaring bad pinches and giveaways that Buff does, but he gets hemmed in his end far more than Buff does.

EDIT: Hopefully I don't get called a Bogosian hater for this haha. I really like Bogo's skill set as an offensive defenseman, and I think he would really thrive with the proper utilization. I'm just at the point where I feel his potential as a shutdown defenseman isn't really there.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Well...now I'm just confused. I don't get to watch a ton of jets games...so I tend to take my cues from everyone here.

so it would be nice if everyone could just go and make up their ****ing minds.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't understand why people are SO convinced that Reinhart or Bennett would be better than Bogo.
Bogo was drafted 4th overall, if people believed he's plateaued at an undesirable level theres no guarantee that someone in the top four of this draft (this draft in particular) won't plateau similarly or be a worse player.

I think a couple players in the top 5 will be better than Bogo, I think some will be similar, its possible some will be worse. But I don't feel certain I can tell who those players will be.

A Bogo in the hand is worth two in the bush.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
You have Schiefele and Little in the middle.
when buff leaves next year who is behind Trouba in rhd?
Rienheart is projected to be on a high side 60-70 points player. same with both our C's now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad