Would you sign EK to 8y x $12.0M? Full Nmc

Yes or no

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I give him this contract without hesitation.

All of you talking about how he's been this season need to listen to Ray Ferraro when he talks about how important the off season training is and how much it's hurting Karlsson to not have it this year.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He won't need that much money. Question to me is barely more relevant than, " would you sign him to 8x15?"

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
The thing is, we don't know if recovery from this injury can be as successful as the one from Achille's. It's a rare procedure, so we have no real precedents to base our opinion on. And so if I have to decide TODAY, I vote no. I would offer $10M/yr, but he probably won't accept. I'd probably wait till next year's trade deadline, and see where he's at, and if he has fully recovered, then sure. If not, trade him.

After the Alfie fiasco (and all the others), I've learned not to grow too attached to our top players. When running a team on a budget, our only chance to compete is to get a lot of value from our players, and signing Karlsson or any top player to FA money is not going to help with that.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
For all the people that bash Dorion, I do not envy him when it comes to this decision.

So many variables.

I think we have to... That was my initial thought. Arguing about a couple million at that length seems pretty petty. But...

There are no guarantee he can fully recover from his last injury. There's a chance EK could lose his edge becoming a one trick pony, more or less.

Giving that type of money to a player who's been elite but isn't right now is a huge risk. If it doesn't work out then we're handcuffed for almost a decade. As a budget team...

No. We shouldn't. We have to play it out until next trade deadline.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Interesting: I don’t know that.

I’m the same age as Karlsson, I would prefer to play in New York or LA

Only Ottawa can sign him for the eighth/extra year......... his Wife is from Ottawa, so that might have something to do with it.

As for New York or L A, they might be okay, but there are other US destinations that have much better taxation situations that are much better than both New York and California.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Only Ottawa can sign him for the eighth/extra year......... his Wife is from Ottawa, so that might have something to do with it.

As for New York or L A, they might be okay, but there are other US destinations that have much better taxation situations that are much better than both New York and California.

I don’t disagree, my point is that he might want to play somewhere other than Ottawa even if Ottawa offered him $12M x 8.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I don’t disagree, my point is that he might want to play somewhere other than Ottawa even if Ottawa offered him $12M x 8.

Yes, but the Poll Question is.......... "Assume he wants to stay here and Melnyk is willing to do it. You’re the GM, do you do it? Or do you trade him/do something else. "

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Sure, it provides stability and an opportunity to be good each year. It will also become cheaper over time.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Easily.

People need to realize whenever he needs to do well, he has. The support cast he has now, ofc he isn't trying.

Put him on a contender and a 60% EK is still the best d-man in the league.

With that being said, he'll take 10. He won't take 12. He wants money, but he also isnt very selfish and will realize you cant win when a team has that much money tied on one player.

that's interesting. he's nowhere near the best this year so what's he at? 25%?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yes. Easily, no questions. This is the best player who will ever play for Ottawa in the history of the franchise. The question isn't really would We (The team as a whole) do it but if he would do it. The risk is greater for Karlsson. For him, he could throw away his career by staying here and playing for this bottom feeder. For the team, they just get yet another bad contract and remain irrelevant if things go south. Just more of the same.

I don't expect he'll be staying. It would be a bad decision on Karlsson's part. I think he cares too much about winning to commit to the Sens.
two weeks ago you didn' think the NCC would do business with Melnyk.

there's no guarantee anywhere he goes that he wins a cup. if he doesn't sign in July he risks 10s of millions if he plays like this next year

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
the way he plays right now. without any doubt no.

I wouldn't hazard a guess at what his current level of play is worth. I don' think it' close to double digit AAV though

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Glad i dont have to make this decision.....Most know there will likely be at least 2 poison years in a deal like that,eesh tough call

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I had to vote no simply because OP went with what is likely the maximum amount of money and term EK could get which really skewers the results.

I would sign him to 7 years X $10 million though, and I suspect many more would say yes to that amount.

With that said, with Dorion at the helm, I'd probably still have to consider the 8 x 12 contract if the alternative was to trade him and get fleeced once again.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
For all the people that bash Dorion, I do not envy him when it comes to this decision.

So many variables.

I think we have to... That was my initial thought. Arguing about a couple million at that length seems pretty petty. But...

There are no guarantee he can fully recover from his last injury. There's a chance EK could lose his edge becoming a one trick pony, more or less.

Giving that type of money to a player who's been elite but isn't right now is a huge risk. If it doesn't work out then we're handcuffed for almost a decade. As a budget team...

No. We shouldn't. We have to play it out until next trade deadline.

That would be the worst move the team could make. We have to either sign or trade him this summer, without a shade of doubt in my mind. If we'd be forced to trade him at the 2019 deadline, the return would be half of what it is now(or summer 2018), and it'd be the Spezza situation all over again, only about ten times worse.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I think people holding the position that he will sign for $10 million may be in for a surprise.

I'm assuming you guys are talking 10 mil AAV correct?

Because right now PK Subban makes 11 million a year, and Shea Weber makes 12 million in actual salary.

I just don't think it's realistic that Karlsson's AAV is below 11 million at all, probably closer to 12.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Edmonton ruined the market for everyone else again when they signed Draisaitl to that ridiculous contract.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton ruined the market for everyone else again when they signed Draisaitl to that ridiculous contract.

They pushed the market forward (or ruined if you want to put it that way) for guys on the second tier.

If anything, Edmonton helped us with Karlsson by getting McDavid signed for 12.5 in a year where he won the Art Ross and Hart as a 19 year old and cemented himself (whether true or not) as the undisputed best player in the league. RFA status is irrelevant for McDavid, so when EDM gets a guy like that signed for 12.5, it sets a ceiling on what Karlsson and Tavares can now ask for.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think people holding the position that he will sign for $10 million may be in for a surprise.

I'm assuming you guys are talking 10 mil AAV correct?

Because right now PK Subban makes 11 million a year, and Shea Weber makes 12 million in actual salary.

I just don't think it's realistic that Karlsson's AAV is below 11 million at all, probably closer to 12.

I am assuming the question is 12 AAV or Cap hit. Subban is at 9 AAV

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I am assuming the question is 12 AAV or Cap hit. Subban is at 9 AAV

Yeah for sure.

PK is going to be 1/2 way or more than 1/2 way through his 8 year deal when Karlsson extends.

The McDavid deal is weird. It drops to 10 mil salary in last two years of the deal , which helps bring the AAV down , but it seems low for the premiere player.

Anyway.

It's probably splitting hairs. I'm just saying my guess is 11mil+ AAV

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He is one of the most unique and talented players to EVER play the game. You do whatever you can to sign him.

However, Karlsson reputation will only be tarnished playing on a team with Dorion as GM and Melnyk as owner.

It's in his best interest to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad