Would you sign EK to 8y x $12.0M? Full Nmc

Yes or no

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'd explore trade options before signing him to that kind of deal. If the trade market was soft, I would bite the bullet and do it. If you ask me last year, I probably say yes no questions asked, but at that kind of AAV combined with Karlsson's injury history, there might be better options.

12M is a significant amount on a 68M budget. Let's put it this way, if the cap rises to 80M as expected, and our budget stays at 68M, 12M against a 68M budget is the equivalent to a cap team signing a player to a 14.12M AAV contract.

So, I guess my short answer is yes, but I don't think it's as simple as that without know the alternatives.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yes , but with major reservations. The next 30 games will be the most critical games in this franchise's history. If they can even get a glimpse of the old Erik, then hell yeah.

But if he continues to play and look the way he does, mobility-wise, well, I would hate to be in Melnyk and Dorion's shoes.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Not $12M x8! Maybe $9.5M-$10M per over 4-5 which we know he won't take. Risk is too high after what we saw this season. I doubt any team would go that high over 7 which is the most years they can offer unless we trade him to that team before he becomes a UFA.

It's too bad but there is no way to know if he'll ever be the player he was and even if he has some good years will he be at the top of his game through all 8 years. It wouldn't take long for the fans to turn on the management and the player if he became a metaphorical albatross taking too much salary preventing the team from keeping other fan favorites.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
A lot of qualifications in these answers guys haha.

Of course if Karlsson returns to his old self and plays like that for 8 years the andwer is certainly yes, but that isn’t the question.

I’m saying as of how he’s playing right now and estimating how you think he will turn out after a full offseason etc, what would you do?

Reactions: bert

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
Personally I wouldn't. I'd trade him and try again. Not worth it at his age and with his injury history. He needs to be fast to be successful. I don't expect that at age 31-32, let alone for another 4 years.

I'd aim for 12/5.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
A lot of qualifications in these answers guys haha.

Of course if Karlsson returns to his old self and plays like that for 8 years the andwer is certainly yes, but that isn’t the question.

I’m saying as of how he’s playing right now and estimating how you think he will turn out after a full offseason etc, what would you do?

Right now...as in, he has to be re-signed or moved right now? Based on his play right now, he is nowhere close to a $12mil/year guy.

But the odds of him not improving at all has to be very low.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Of course. No one else I'd rather watch in the NHL when he's on his game.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Easily.

People need to realize whenever he needs to do well, he has. The support cast he has now, ofc he isn't trying.

Put him on a contender and a 60% EK is still the best d-man in the league.

With that being said, he'll take 10. He won't take 12. He wants money, but he also isnt very selfish and will realize you cant win when a team has that much money tied on one player.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Karlsson looks like he got an ankle bone removed, just like he looked like a player who lost his achilles when he came back from being Cooked.

The guy evolves his game, season to season, and I fully expect him to being a top flight player abaia. At his best, I will take Karlsson's two-way game over anybody playing today.

There's time to see how this plays out, bottomline Ottawa can't lose it's generational player - the best to come out of this franchise, with due respect to Captain Alfie.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I'm with RKL in that he's probably going to take 10 to stay. As I've said many times, a full summer of training will do his body wonders and I'd be very surprised if he struggles next season like he has this one.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Karlsson looks like he got an ankle bone removed, just like he looked like a player who lost his achilles when he came back from being Cooked.

The guy evolves his game, season to season, and I fully expect him to being a top flight player abaia. At his best, I will take Karlsson's two-way game over anybody playing today.

There's time to see how this plays out, bottomline Ottawa can't lose it's generational player - the best to come out of this franchise, with due respect to Captain Alfie.

I'm with RKL in that he's probably going to take 10 to stay. As I've said many times, a full summer of training will do his body wonders and I'd be very surprised if he struggles next season like he has this one.

These posts are all you really need in regards to the topic.

1) He is generational
2) He has always evolved his game to adapt to his situation/circumstance and still remains the best through-out
3)He's only 27. Less than a full year removed from us seeing one of the best performances in the playoffs by a d-man in past few decades.... on one leg.

Pay and keep the man. At all costs.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Assume he wants to stay here and Melnyk is willing to do it. You’re the GM, do you do it? Or do you trade him/do something else.

I don't assume Karlsson is going to want 12 Million for eight seasons and a full NMC.... I know he would take that offer.

Reactions: Mr Hat

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yes. Easily, no questions. This is the best player who will ever play for Ottawa in the history of the franchise. The question isn't really would We (The team as a whole) do it but if he would do it. The risk is greater for Karlsson. For him, he could throw away his career by staying here and playing for this bottom feeder. For the team, they just get yet another bad contract and remain irrelevant if things go south. Just more of the same.

I don't expect he'll be staying. It would be a bad decision on Karlsson's part. I think he cares too much about winning to commit to the Sens.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
I've got a signed EK jersey hanging on my wall. Still said no to 12M max term if the 2017/2018 Karlsson is what we get. Either max out at 10.5M or a little less term i think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad