Olympics: Would you be upset if a player for your country decided not to go to Sochi?

Astoria

#ILEquestrian
Sep 11, 2012
Seattle, WA
I'd probably be disappointed a player/team did not go, but I wouldn't be mad. It's not my decision to make, it's theirs.

gmcintos

Jan 25, 2006
Title says it all really and they just discussed this for a brief moment on "Off The Record" and the TSN panel.

Would you be upset if the GM of your country gave his players the option to drop out of a roster spot because they fear for their safety in Sochi?

All the guests on "Off The Record" said they would not feel comfortable going to Sochi and would more than likely decline if they were asked, and I personally don't blame them. Tensions are super high in this area of the world and lots of media outlets are reporting its not whether or not some type of attack will happen, its when it will happen. I have to think there is at least a few athlete's that are fearing their safety in Sochi.

I don't think this thread should be closed because it is a question of whether or not these players should 100% represent their country regardless of the situation they are being thrown in or should they have the option to decline because of safety concerns. Would you respect the decision they make?

I'd be fairly upset, but that is coming from a Canadian. I figured there wouldn't be many players from Canada that would absolutely blacklist their olympic team. A lot of pride coming from this country in terms of hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:

slapshots1515

Feb 14, 2010
Ann Arbor
Why? Because its in Russia?

Check where most notable terror attacks have happened and on which continent. Its time to ditch the "us vs. them" when it comes to anything to do with Russia.

Have you been to Sochi or Russia in general?

Not an "Us vs. Them" post at all. There are parts of Russia that are perfectly nice. Sochi does not appear to be one of them, or at least not compared to the three cities listed previously.

If we take the Summer Games into account, I recall significant security concerns around Athens which proved unfounded when nothing happened. On the other hand, in my own home country, Atlanta did not pose significant security concerns before the games, yet an attack happened there. So no, it's not just Russia. You can't tell me there aren't very significant concerns going into the games, though.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Not an "Us vs. Them" post at all. There are parts of Russia that are perfectly nice. Sochi does not appear to be one of them, or at least not compared to the three cities listed previously.

If we take the Summer Games into account, I recall significant security concerns around Athens which proved unfounded when nothing happened. On the other hand, in my own home country, Atlanta did not pose significant security concerns before the games, yet an attack happened there. So no, it's not just Russia. You can't tell me there aren't very significant concerns going into the games, though.

What are you talking about? Sochi is one of the nichest places in Russia.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I wouldn't be upset at all. A decision like that would not be easy for any individual or country to make so if it were to actually happen I think it would be for good reason. It is easy for all of us to criticize while in the safety of our nests but I am certain some of the opinions around here would change if it was them being put in a potentially harmful situation. Not saying there is anything to worry about, just saying that when it comes to our own personal safety I feel nobody has the right to be upset or criticize a person's decisions.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I wouldn't be upset at all. A decision like that would not be easy for any individual or country to make so if it were to actually happen I think it would be for good reason. It is easy for all of us to criticize while in the safety of our nests but I am certain some of the opinions around here would change if it was them being put in a potentially harmful situation. Not saying there is anything to worry about, just saying that when it comes to our own personal safety I feel nobody has the right to be upset or criticize a person's decisions.

More than a few of us are going to the games.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
There's really no more risk in Sochi than any other recent Olympics. As to whether someone decides not to go for any reason, that's their business. I think it'd be ridiculous of anyone to be mad at someone for not wanting to participate in the Olympics, as if there is some sort of obligation to do so.

Just comparing to Vancouver:

Number of bombings in Vancouver within the year prior to 2010 Olympics: 0
Number of bombings in Sochi within the year prior to 2014 Olympics: at least 2 that I'm aware of, and I don't follow Russian news at all

That's obviously not a comprehensive security comparison of the two Olympic situations, but it does indicate that there seems to be a greater risk of danger around Sochi in general.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
If it were a Canadian, I'd be disappointed, but their lives are more important than one tournament.

Feb 16, 2013
NJ
I don't think any american would pass up playing for team usa especially since zach parise will captain the u.s. olympic team to the gold :yo: .

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
I wouldn't be upset at all, Sochi has been a disaster from the start with threat of the terrorist attacks...if I was an athlete I might be a little worried. Bettman will make a decision soon on NHL players going or not going, safety is the biggest concern.

Adanac

Dec 15, 2013
Just comparing to Vancouver:

Number of bombings in Vancouver within the year prior to 2010 Olympics: 0
Number of bombings in Sochi within the year prior to 2014 Olympics: at least 2 that I'm aware of, and I don't follow Russian news at all

That's obviously not a comprehensive security comparison of the two Olympic situations, but it does indicate that there seems to be a greater risk of danger around Sochi in general.

What Sochi was bombed??? Noone told us....

LatinHawkey

Jan 28, 2014
Chiraq
How could you be mad if someone wants to put his safety as a priority? Its pretty rough in that area especially with everything going on in nearby Chechnya. I highly doubt anyone would not play though seeing as everything is speculation right now but if some events leading up to games begin to unfold and make players seriously question if they should go or not I wouldnt blame them

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
#1. Would I have a problem if an athlete decided not to go to an Olympics for any reason?

No.

#2. Would I have a problem if an athlete decided not to go to the Olympics due to specific security concerns about a particular venue?

No. Covered under #1.

I consider myself fairly patriotic, as are most immigrants (US citizen for 15 years, resident for nearly 25 years, previously Canadian) but I don't use sporting events as validation of that patriotism. Obviously, that might be easy to say; the US does quite well in many fields of endeavor at the Games. It was a bigger deal on an individual athlete level in Canada when someone did very well. In the US, it's a blur of medals.

As for hockey, I prefer amateurs at the Games and professionals in the NHL, KHL, Elitserien, SM Liiga, Bundesliga, etc. Glad to see the NHL is not inclined to go after this year, and will start up the World Cup again. Better for players (more money). I despise the corruption of the IOC, personally.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Regardless of my agreeing with you that the decision to play for one's country is a personal decision based on many factors that should be respected...you're not seriously telling me that in your honest opinion, if you ranked Salt Lake City, Turin, Vancouver, and Sochi in terms of most safe to least safe, that Sochi doesn't come in last by a wide margin?

I really don't see how Sochi would be last by a wide margin (or how you would measure that anyway; manpower wise the Sochi games are probably the safest, they have a lot of security personal). I see them all as pretty much the same.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I would be upset if they said it was because of some sort of terrorism threat because then they are obviously giving into paranoia and sensationalism by the media. The last terrorist attack at the Olympics was in the U.S. so it would be pretty hypocritical as well.

But if they just didn't feel like going, more power to them. I'm used to it considering players decline Team USA every year. I'd rather have players that actually want to be there anyway and I understand representing your country isn't something that everyone cares about.

I cheer for Team USA because I played in their youth system and they are responsible for the game's development in my area of residence. I don't cheer for them just because they're American. I have zero interest in such nationalism.

I agree with that. The German media says very little to nothing about security risks in Sochi as far as I can tell.

Spinkis

Dec 26, 2011
I would be very upset. The security risk isn't greater then it was in Salt Lake city. In Sweden there is no talk about security threats, I think it's some good old NA paranoia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad