Olympics: Would you be upset if a player for your country decided not to go to Sochi?

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
How do the players/athletes represent their country in these events anyway? It all sounds very conservative to me. Also, I dislike the nationalism in it, too.

m0ngr31

I'll give you ten points on probability.

No-one is going to decline olympics unless injured.

jan-hejda.png

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
This is getting a bit out of hand... how can some people call the notion of representing ones country in a sporting event nationalistic or conservative. Yes, these players are wearing national colors, cotes of arms, flags and that is called representing a country ("team sweden", "team finland"... makes sense right?)... now why some people insist on labeling this as nationalist or conservative is beyond me.

Last edited:

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Couldn't care less whatever his/her reason was. Their life, their career, their business.

Someone prefers to go on a vacation instead? Good for them.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Not at all. Why put yourself in a dangerous situation just to play a stupid hockey game? Hockey is fun, it's entertainment, not something worth being blown up over.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Absolutely not. At the end of the day hockey is just a game. Whats the point in potentially risking your life over a game, no matter how big a deal it is.

If the player feels its not safe, they have a right not to go.

Even if the Olympics was held in Canada or the USA where attacks on the games would be less likely, I still wouldn't be upset if a player refused.

More then likely if they opt not to go, they have a pretty serious reason not too in there personal life. Or, maybe they are like Tobias Enstrom and take NHL hockey more seriously then Olympics. I give huge respect to Enstrom for making that choice as well.

BluPuk*

Absolutely support anyone making that decision. I would have to think twice before going as a spectator!

Canuck71*

Mike Smith just said on TV he isn't bringing his family which is different but I would suspect alot of the players not to bring their families due to safety concerns.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I would be probably too shocked to be upset. It never occured to me this would be an option. I think every athlete wants to be an Olympian.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
According to an unofficial survey by a Finnish tabloid, the majority of the team is planning on bringing their family (or at least some of it) along even now. Not everyone is as worried as for example Parise.

slapshots1515

Feb 14, 2010
Ann Arbor
There's really no more risk in Sochi than any other recent Olympics. As to whether someone decides not to go for any reason, that's their business. I think it'd be ridiculous of anyone to be mad at someone for not wanting to participate in the Olympics, as if there is some sort of obligation to do so.

Regardless of my agreeing with you that the decision to play for one's country is a personal decision based on many factors that should be respected...you're not seriously telling me that in your honest opinion, if you ranked Salt Lake City, Turin, Vancouver, and Sochi in terms of most safe to least safe, that Sochi doesn't come in last by a wide margin?

SerbianEagle

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Regardless of my agreeing with you that the decision to play for one's country is a personal decision based on many factors that should be respected...you're not seriously telling me that in your honest opinion, if you ranked Salt Lake City, Turin, Vancouver, and Sochi in terms of most safe to least safe, that Sochi doesn't come in last by a wide margin?

Why? Because its in Russia?

Check where most notable terror attacks have happened and on which continent. Its time to ditch the "us vs. them" when it comes to anything to do with Russia.

Have you been to Sochi or Russia in general?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If a player feels its unsafe to go to Sochi i wouldn't hold it against him. This is because i know how much of an honor it is for a canadian kid to represent us on this hockey team and if he is so fearful of going over that he chooses not to i cannot blame him, its his life not mine.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Why? Because its in Russia?

Check where most notable terror attacks have happened and on which continent. Its time to ditch the "us vs. them" when it comes to anything to do with Russia.

Have you been to Sochi or Russia in general?

Risk areas (by country):

2011-terror-chart-3.jpg

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
I would be upset if they said it was because of some sort of terrorism threat because then they are obviously giving into paranoia and sensationalism by the media. The last terrorist attack at the Olympics was in the U.S. so it would be pretty hypocritical as well.

But if they just didn't feel like going, more power to them. I'm used to it considering players decline Team USA every year. I'd rather have players that actually want to be there anyway and I understand representing your country isn't something that everyone cares about.

I cheer for Team USA because I played in their youth system and they are responsible for the game's development in my area of residence. I don't cheer for them just because they're American. I have zero interest in such nationalism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad