Olympics: Would you be upset if a player for your country decided not to go to Sochi?

Canuck71*

Title says it all really and they just discussed this for a brief moment on "Off The Record" and the TSN panel.

Would you be upset if the GM of your country gave his players the option to drop out of a roster spot because they fear for their safety in Sochi?

All the guests on "Off The Record" said they would not feel comfortable going to Sochi and would more than likely decline if they were asked, and I personally don't blame them. Tensions are super high in this area of the world and lots of media outlets are reporting its not whether or not some type of attack will happen, its when it will happen. I have to think there is at least a few athlete's that are fearing their safety in Sochi.

I don't think this thread should be closed because it is a question of whether or not these players should 100% represent their country regardless of the situation they are being thrown in or should they have the option to decline because of safety concerns. Would you respect the decision they make?

Last edited by a moderator:

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Not upset at all and that goes for non-security reasons as well. It's a player's decision whether or not he wants go. Nothing should stop him from declining

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
No problem.

Unless you have been vocal about wanting to play for Team USA and then back out when you get the chance. (see: Umberger, RJ at the WCs...)

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
If it was a good player, then yeah. Enström said he wouldn't go, but I'm not sure he would have gotten a spot anyways, and if he did he wouldn't have played a lot, so it's more like a "meh, don't need you anyways" deal there.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I would respect any decision by an athlete to refuse to compete for any reason. They are not bound by any duty to perform, it may be an honor enough to be selected. This is just my western perspective, but there isn't a moral or ethical obligation to compete. For smaller countries there may be more of a desire for validation against the *super power* nations that send hundreds of athletes.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Not at all. I would have been way more upset about the fact that Tim Thomas made the team in the first place.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Very much so. Borderline cases not that much. Enström not so much. After he declined he started to score something next to nothing after a 10 game one PPG-race. I suspect his club wanted him to become more defensive and thus a better defenseman. I have some respect for that.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Nope, I have a feeling Sochi is becoming a security **** show, more so I wouldn't be upset if any player from my favorite team didn't go to Sochi, irregardless of Nationality

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
I would not be upset if a player did not want to go for whatever reason. If his heart is not there, then so be it.

But I would hope if their decision is based on something like security, they fully understood it first being able to ask questions about what is going on and any concerns they had. I remember the 2002 games post a 9/11 world and the worry then, but security was heightened and athletes knowing that before they got there. That said, if they still didn't feel right, that is their decision.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
The player would have to have a very good reason to say no to the Olympic team. If it's just because he wants to rest, I would lose respect for that player.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Title says it all really and they just discussed this for a brief moment on "Off The Record" and the TSN panel.

Would you be upset if the GM of your country gave his players the option to drop out of a roster spot because they fear for their safety in Sochi?

All the guests on "Off The Record" said they would not feel comfortable going to Sochi and would more than likely decline if they were asked, and I personally don't blame them. Tensions are super high in this area of the world and lots of media outlets are reporting its not whether or not some type of attack will happen, its when it will happen. I have to think there is at least a few athlete's that are fearing their safety in Sochi.

I don't think this thread should be closed because it is a question of whether or not these players should 100% represent their country regardless of the situation they are being thrown in or should they have the option to decline because of safety concerns. Would you respect the decision they make?

Yes because then I'd consider them pretty stupid, but fortunately it appears that most hockey players aren't brain washed idiots.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo

Would you respect the decision they make?
Two different questions, here:

Respect? Naww- I don't feel obliged to respect such decisions.

Be upset? Nope- wouldn't be upset about it, either.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Not at all.

Mind you I don't give much of a rat's ass about international competitions in the first place.

Yeah, best on best international hockey sucks! Panthers vs Sabres or Oilers vs Flames though on a Thursday night, that stuff is brilliant!

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
There's really no more risk in Sochi than any other recent Olympics. As to whether someone decides not to go for any reason, that's their business. I think it'd be ridiculous of anyone to be mad at someone for not wanting to participate in the Olympics, as if there is some sort of obligation to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad