• Depends on Injuries

Votes: 7 4.6%

• Total voters

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Still need a proper 2C, Monahan isn’t that, and a better top 4 RD… don’t think they make the SC finals as they are… but in the playoffs anything can happen.
The goal should always be the Cup…not the playoffs, so anything less then champions is a failure, but realistically, and because anything can happen in the playoffs, anything past the 2nd round can be viewed as a step in the right direction

I'm not a fire Chevy guy but I actually do agree with most of this.

Even if they bow out 2nd round, that's still the top 8 teams in the league where any league average aspect of a team becomes an exploitable weakness. Where any primary strength you have is likely negatable and adjustments are required.

Momentum plays a big part as well.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Took a while on this

At first I felt like yes absolutely. We basically gave up all the functional assets of one draft class for this run so we are all in. When you invest heavily then one would think a l first round exit is failure.

Then I thought well we aren’t better than the teams we will face in the first or second round so there’s that.

I think most teams will feel like they failed if they lose in the 1st round. I think I will wait and see because maybe it a phenomenal series but if we bow out in the first round then I assume it’s a failure. This is a results based business.

Last edited:

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Starting to look like a first round whimper again this year. Team can't compete, inability to finish plays will kill this team in a 7 game series. Lucky if we push 6 games vs Dallas/Colorado
This team is in shambles. Another collapse is happening. The common denominators Scheif, Helly , Connor and Ehlers. Maybe a tear down and rebuild would have been better!

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
I think given where we were in the standings not too long ago - which was founded on actual real elite performance (the goal differential in the first half of the season was really great) and based on a large sample size (44 games), combined with some fairly significant acquisitions (Monahan, Toffoli) — I don’t see how this season isn’t perceived as a failure with a first round knockout.

Unfortunately, the way things are going, we will likely end in 3rd place in the central and it’s difficult to imagine beating Dallas or Colorado with our recent play. And really I think the coaching staff’s inability to zoom out and look at some fairly basic numbers associated with line combinations is a big reason for that.

Reactions: johnnyonthspot

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Took a while on this

At first I felt like yes absolutely. We basically gave up all the functional assets of one draft class for this run so we are all in. When you invest heavily then one would think a l first round exit is failure.

Then I thought well we aren’t better than the teams we will face in the first or second round so there’s that.

I think most teams will feel like they failed if they lose in the 1st round. I think I will wait and see because maybe it a phenomenal series but if we bow out in the first round then I assume it’s a failure. This is a results based business.
Which is why I was advocating standing pat at the deadline and just tinkering by moving mid round picks and got ridiculed for it here. One thing people forget is that 1st round pick could very well be a pick in the low 20s if they have a 1st round exit.

Reactions: Bigfish

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Which is why I was advocating standing pat at the deadline and just tinkering by moving mid round picks and got ridiculed for it here. One thing people forget is that 1st round pick could very well be a pick in the low 20s if they have a 1st round exit.

Caution: I am a draft hawk and trade deadline rental dove.

Qualifier: As long as the deadline acquisition leads to term I consider it a trade (Nino).

Where I have settled in on this to try to feel a bit better is when it comes to pure rentals I have decided in my simple brain as long as our asset balance sheet is somewhere around net zero over a large sample size like 13 years then I am ok to let our GM do NHL GMing thangs. Chevy has historically done a decent job selling in non playoff years.

The Copp haul was great but this season we certainly drained the draft capital swamp again.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
This team is in shambles. Another collapse is happening. The common denominators Scheif, Helly , Connor and Ehlers. Maybe a tear down and rebuild would have been better!

A rebuild would not be better unless you're interested in watching years and years of Ottawa or Columbus level hockey.

Still fine with the trades. Standing pat all the time breeds complacency. There are issues on the team right now for sure but not giving the team a shot given their record this year to March 8 has repercussions long past a Joe Veleno level 1st rounder, especially in a weaker draft and the team having a high 2nd rounder.

Reactions: Buffdog

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A rebuild would not be better unless you're interested in watching years and years of Ottawa or Columbus level hockey.

Still fine with the trades. Standing pat all the time breeds complacency. There are issues on the team right now for sure but not giving the team a shot given their record this year to March 8 has repercussions long past a Joe Veleno level 1st rounder, especially in a weaker draft and the team having a high 2nd rounder.

It’s a tough balancing act for Chevy.

The building is not sold out so the pressure is on to win now. This trumps everything.

He has made legit commitments to win now to Hellebuyck and Scheifele who are both in their early 30’s and their window won’t last forever.

On the flip side we had a veteran heavy team that was near the top of the NHL before the deadline so they appeared to be doing just fine. How much do you want to mess with the Chemistry of a group that is committed to playing the coaches system?

Yes the game is the game and Chevy had to make a move or moves to bolster the roster as well as signal he’s going for it.

Personally I might not have given up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th all for one run. I might have spread that out over two runs.

Either way I am not losing sleep over it, my give a shit factor on this topic is a 2 out of 10 we can get these picks back on non playoff seasons.

Now what I do love is last trade deadline. We used draft capital to aquire two high value depth pieces that we turned into roster players.

Playoffs are almost here so we shall see how this all works out soon enough. Personally, I would love to wear my White out gear long enough that I at least have to wash it once or twice.

• Haha
Reactions: johnnyonthspot

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012

I agree a rebuild was not a legitimate option but if this core fails in the first round again then something must be done that would see a connor or ehlers moved.
Scheif and Helly are obviously untouchable at this point.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree a rebuild was not a legitimate option but if this core fails in the first round again then something must be done that would see a connor or ehlers moved.
Ehlers is a UFA after next season and I think it's unlikely he re-signs here. He's way more likely to be moved than Connor.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Never say never but this is as close to a sure thing as I would bet on. I don’t think Winnipeg will ever do an aggressive rebuild under Chipman.

I am fully at peace it all.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Never say never but this is as close to a sure thing as I would bet on. I don’t think Winnipeg will ever do an aggressive rebuild under Chipman.

I am fully at peace it all.

If they were ever going to consider it, the attendance issues put a big stop to that. The team is winning a bit and all of a sudden we're seeing sell outs again? That's enough correlation to dissuade the aggressive rebuild notion for them.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Yeah we could miss out on a guy like Stanley.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah we could miss out on a guy like Stanley.

Or Pastrnuk :naughty:

If they were ever going to consider it, the attendance issues put a big stop to that. The team is winning a bit and all of a sudden we're seeing sell outs again? That's enough correlation to dissuade the aggressive rebuild notion for them.

This is the main reason that I am 100% at peace with Mark’s plan.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
If we played like we did before the break and somehow lost, I would be okay with it. Even if we just played the whole season like that, it gave us a lot of entertainment over the season. But if they play low effort and poor play in the playoffs of course it will be disappointing.

As for making trades, I think it's insane to even question it. It was a buyer's market and Chevy 100% took advantage of it. This team has the potential to go all the way, simple as that and we geared up to do that. Standing pat while everyone else upgraded would take us to the finals, there's no way.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Not to worry everyone. JETS can just flip the switch and steamroll everyone once the playoffs begin.:sarcasm:

1711471890045.gif

Reactions: Heldig

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I tink if the team gets blown out in the 1st round then the summer will see big changes. LOTS rumoured for this team until Chevy signed both Helle and Scheifele.

Failure means exploring whether other key pieces should be kept: Connor, Ehlers, and any/all of the UFA's.

Sad that a few weeks ago we were (most) feeling OK with a tough series in the 1st round. Now they might end up as a wild card team after another last 1/3 collapse.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I tink if the team gets blown out in the 1st round then the summer will see big changes. LOTS rumoured for this team until Chevy signed both Helle and Scheifele.

Failure means exploring whether other key pieces should be kept: Connor, Ehlers, and any/all of the UFA's.

Sad that a few weeks ago we were (most) feeling OK with a tough series in the 1st round. Now they might end up as a wild card team after another last 1/3 collapse.

I don’t think there will be unexpected changes, no matter what the result.

Reactions: Bigfish

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I don’t think there will be unexpected changes, no matter what the result.
I think you start seeing the younger guys injected into the team like Ville, Lambert and even potentially Salomonsson if he’s ready.

Reactions: braunm

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
If we get knocked out in the 1st round, I'd expect Bones will retire and all of the other coaches will be replaced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad