Olympics: Would Erik Karlsson make Team Canada?

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
If Subban is expected to be on the bubble, and I don't see Karlsson making it over Subban so I would doubt it. Karlsson plays an excellent offensive game but it's not like Team Canada will be looking for offense from the back-end, their forwards are stacked. Not only that, but all of the defense Canada will be bringing have an excellent mixture of both offense and defense. While Karlsson has better offensive skills than every other defenseman in the world, it's his defensive play that would leave him off Team Canada, imo.

Saintpatrick*

If Subban is expected to be on the bubble, and I don't see Karlsson making it over Subban so I would doubt it. Karlsson plays an excellent offensive game but it's not like Team Canada will be looking for offense from the back-end, their forwards are stacked. Not only that, but all of the defense Canada will be bringing have an excellent mixture of both offense and defense. While Karlsson has better offensive skills than every other defenseman in the world, it's his defensive play that would leave him off Team Canada, imo.

Well said. Pk is a great two way defenseman were was Karlsson is strictly an offensive defenseman. His lack of defense would be more of a liabilty especially in the medal rounds.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I feel like this is almost a troll thread. Yeah, he'd make it. He's the best offensive defenseman in the league and his defensive ability only looks bad if you're expecting it to be as good as his offensive. PK Subban is good and all, but if he makes Team Canada Sweden will still have the better scoring dman.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Well said. Pk is a great two way defenseman were was Karlsson is strictly an offensive defenseman. His lack of defense would be more of a liabilty especially in the medal rounds.

I know you may be a Habs fan, but come on... we are talking about Canada here the team Canada ices - Subbie is a great OFD, he isn't a great 2 way D man.... You do know he plays against the OTHER teams lesser lines... right? Take off the rose coloured glasses.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
They'd be crazy to do that, as Karlsson is better ;)
That's debatable.
I know you may be a Habs fan, but come on... we are talking about Canada here the team Canada ices - Subbie is a great OFD, he isn't a great 2 way D man.... You do know he plays against the OTHER teams lesser lines... right? Take off the rose coloured glasses.
Well then, there goes your credibility regarding anything Subban related... He is a great two way D. Watch him, don't base your opinion on the erroneous drivel often posted here about him.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Karlsson destroyed Pietrangelo head to head last night. So yes.

If that was Karlsson at his best than I'm not that impressed. Sure he looked good, but I noticed him in the first and then only a couple of times in the second and third. You're completely disregarding his soft play on Stewart that led to the second goal and a couple of good plays that Pietrangelo made because you see what you want to see.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
If Subban is expected to be on the bubble, and I don't see Karlsson making it over Subban so I would doubt it.

Basically this. If Subban's got too many highs and lows for the Canada braintrust to be comfortable with, the same would be true of Karlsson.

This speaks to the question of "would Erik Karlsson make Team Canada," mind you.

Would.

Not Should.

If Karlsson was Canadian, he should be a lock. But he wouldn't be.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
If that was Karlsson at his best than I'm not that impressed. Sure he looked good, but I noticed him in the first and then only a couple of times in the second and third. You're completely disregarding his soft play on Stewart that led to the second goal and a couple of good plays that Pietrangelo made because you see what you want to see.

This can't possibly be applied to you, can it?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is a ridiculous thread he is the best D man in the world when he is healthy. Subban should be on the team too.

I read bs on here saying 'Canada would only need him on the pp'. You obviously don't watch him if you think that's the case. He is pure offensive and puck possession dominance, no one breaks out as well as him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Basically this. If Subban's got too many highs and lows for the Canada braintrust to be comfortable with, the same would be true of Karlsson.

This speaks to the question of "would Erik Karlsson make Team Canada," mind you.

Would.

Not Should.

If Karlsson was Canadian, he should be a lock. But he wouldn't be.

Do you think that Subban's off ice attitude and undisciplined play might be part of why he isn't going? Karlsson doesn't take bad penalties or come down on his teammates on the bench.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
This can't possibly be applied to you, can it?

Of course it can, but I'm not on here saying Pietrangelo is way better than Karlsson after one game between the two players. Karlssons offensive game impressed me, his skating impressed me, but I only really noticed him in the first period. Sens fans are completely ignoring anything good Pietrangelo did that game and only looking at his bad plays.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Question is.....if you say Karlsson should OBVIOUSLY be there....do you also think that Subban should? If not, it means that you are, in your rankings, having Karlsson way ahead of Subban. 'Cause you cannot go from OBVIOUS for Karlsson to ABSOLUTELY NOT for Subban and not have a big gap between the 2. Which, if true, I do have to ask..how the heck is there such a gap.

But of course...that's only if you answer that Subban shouldn't be there. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad