Olympics: Would Erik Karlsson make Team Canada?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'm sure I don't need to tell you cause you already know but hockey as changed tremendously the last 15yrs, goaltenders can actually stop the puck and emphasis on systems as completely changed the game and strategies that are employed. Again I'm sure you were already aware.

Have you watched Craig Anderson play goal this year? His level of puck-stopping is equivalent to that of goalies 15 years ago. Guy has a 3.40GAA and a .895SV%.

Karlsson plays nearly half the game in front of the worst goaltender in the NHL thus far in the 13/14 season.

I'd be mighty impressed if he could manage to be a major + player playing in front of a goaltender that lets in almost 3.5 goals a game on average.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yes maybe. I'm not saying Karlsson wouldn't be on team Canada or even that he's bad defensively, I'm saying that +/- has some value if you look at it from the inside.

Jared Cowen is a +3 and Eric Gryba is a +5. Trust me when I say these have not been the best defensemen defensively on the team. The +/- stat has little value when used in the proper context, which it rarely is.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Thats fine anyone on this site with a legitimate opinion cant be taken seriously apparently. Look up any Karlsson thread and tell me how 90% of Sens fans can be taken seriously, and believe me I'm well aware of the Subban threads with Hab Fans completely blind to his shortcomings as well.

You completely dreamed up a scenario from the game last night to fit your agenda and tried to pass it off as fact. Nothing legitimate about it.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Maybe Team Sweden can bury private Karlsson on a fourth forward line and only use him when a puck is called upon to be transported from point A to point B. Not even Wall Street likes risk.

Franzén - Krüger - Karlsson

Spinkis

Dec 26, 2011
"doesn't play D", no but he plays offense like an allstar forward. Pair him with Weber or Vlasic, problem solved.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Maybe Team Sweden can bury private Karlsson on a fourth forward line and only use him when a puck is called upon to be transported from point A to point B. Not even Wall Street likes risk.

Franzén - Krüger - Karlsson

"not even wall street likes risk?"
WTF?

there entire existence is based on risk management.
if there is enough value there they will take whatever risks are required.

Your sarcastic post is not only poorly phrased its not funny which i suppose was the intent, its also incorrect and uses a faulty analogy. well done otherwise.

e46330ivs*

You completely dreamed up a scenario from the game last night to fit your agenda and tried to pass it off as fact. Nothing legitimate about it.

Could of been the 4th goal I dont watch that intently but when my gf starts to notice that he isnt where he's suppose to be somethings wrong. Dreamed up he was -1 with an assist so he was on for 2 goals against, couldnt of been his fault though.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Could of been the 4th goal I dont watch that intently but when my gf starts to notice that he isnt where he's suppose to be somethings wrong. Dreamed up he was -1 with an assist so he was on for 2 goals against, couldnt of been his fault though.

Wasn't the fourth goal either. One he won a puck battle, the other he lost one. He was where he was supposed to be on both. Do you write fiction novels by chance?

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Yes AINEC. He'd be on the first pair. How is this even being asked?

He's not better overall than all of Weber, Pietrangelo and Doughty to warrant 1st pair. He'd make it in a depth position, and if it was 4rhd and 4lhd he'd fight with Subban for the last right handed spot.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's not better overall than all of Weber, Pietrangelo and Doughty to warrant 1st pair. He'd make it in a depth position, and if it was 4rhd and 4lhd he'd fight with Subban for the last right handed spot.

Maybe Pietragelo you could argue. I take Karlsson over Doughty and Weber every day of the week, twice on Thursday, three times on holidays.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
But would TC?? I'd take all those three before Karlson everyday.

He should. Karlsson is overall the most effective player of the 4 quite easily.

Offense is painfully underrated on this site. The team that scores the most goals wins all of the games.

tez

Oct 23, 2009
Nova Scotia

Offense is painfully underrated on this site. The team that scores the most goals wins all of the games.

And the Canadian forward lineup should have no problem doing that. Which is what Team Canada has stated. They want their six defensemen to be the best defensively that they can bring, to stop other offenses, while the Canadian forwards do the scoring.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
"not even wall street likes risk?"
WTF?

there entire existence is based on risk management.
if there is enough value there they will take whatever risks are required.

Your sarcastic post is not only poorly phrased its not funny which i suppose was the intent, its also incorrect and uses a faulty analogy. well done otherwise.

Agreed. That was a terrible judgment on his part. Also, comparing Karlsson and his risks to "Wall street" is simply silly and it's not an analogous situation, aside from the fact that his/their risks can reap great rewards with relatively minimal repercussions, should the risk fail. Karlsson is a freaking good d-man, and is in the mix of the top 8 d-men, along with: Subban, Weber, Pietrangelo, Suter, Doughty, Keith and OEL. Any one of those d-men can be considered the best on any given day, imo. I know people will attack me for thinking Doughty is part of that group, but I think he is, despite my hatred for the Kings.

Anyone who says otherwise is other delusional, intentionally deluding themselves, silly, ignorant or just plain wrong. I'll admit that as a Habs fan, Karlsson does have a claim to being the best d-man in the world. That said, so does Subban, Weber, etc. (the rest of the aforementioned)

I believe that Karlsson would be on Canada's defensive lineup, along with the rest of the Canadian d-men I named, despite the fact that he's a RHD, which Canada has an excess of.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
And the Canadian forward lineup should have no problem doing that. Which is what Team Canada has stated. They want their six defensemen to be the best defensively that they can bring, to stop other offenses, while the Canadian forwards do the scoring.

I don't think you can underrate offensive contribution from the blueline which I think will be completely overlooked by Team Canada.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Have you watched Craig Anderson play goal this year? His level of puck-stopping is equivalent to that of goalies 15 years ago. Guy has a 3.40GAA and a .895SV%.

Karlsson plays nearly half the game in front of the worst goaltender in the NHL thus far in the 13/14 season.

I'd be mighty impressed if he could manage to be a major + player playing in front of a goaltender that lets in almost 3.5 goals a game on average.

Anderson has a 1-2 year window with a team, then goes and ***** the bed. Maybe he likes travelling and wants to be traded? :laugh:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Ding, ding, ding.

Karlsson would easily, easily make it. The fact some people think it's even debatable is troubling.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Yes maybe. I'm not saying Karlsson wouldn't be on team Canada or even that he's bad defensively, I'm saying that +/- has some value if you look at it from the inside.

Yeah of course. There are many explanations why the Sens aren't doing good so far this year.

And? Jeff Schultz was really good defensively. Now he's really bad.

It has some value... but it's almost none:

F_2Btrads.jpg

This is forwards, but the numbers aren't much different for defense (just points take longer to regress to norm)

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
If P.K. doesn't make the team, what makes you think Karlsson makes it ?

The post injury Karlsson might not... but the pre-injury one would...

Now I can't see PK not making the team... he is designed to play on international Ice...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad