Olympics: Would Erik Karlsson make Team Canada?

WhiteLight*

If that was Karlsson at his best than I'm not that impressed. Sure he looked good, but I noticed him in the first and then only a couple of times in the second and third. You're completely disregarding his soft play on Stewart that led to the second goal and a couple of good plays that Pietrangelo made because you see what you want to see.

That's what's impressive. It wasn't his best. Still blew Pie out of the water.

That Stewart goal wasn't on him. Michalek missed his check and Cowen wiped out which messed everything up.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I don't understand why people peg him as an "only PP"-player. What he excells at isn't even the powerplay, it's like you people don't even watch him play?

He's a puckmoving and puckrushing defenceman who, when on his normal game, totally takes over how the game is played while on the ice. He also possesses great speed and even though he does use his body to separate other players from the puck, what he does best is stripping people of possession through his stick and angeling them into areas where they have nowhere to go.

Of course he would make team Canada. otherwise, name all these players who would be in before him?

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I don't understand why people peg him as an "only PP"-player. What he excells at isn't even the powerplay, it's like you people don't even watch him play?

He's a puckmoving and puckrushing defenceman who, when on his normal game, totally takes over how the game is played while on the ice. He also possesses great speed and even though he does use his body to separate other players from the puck, what he does best is stripping people of possession through his stick and angeling them into areas where they have nowhere to go.

Of course he would make team Canada. otherwise, name all these players who would be in before him?

Canada goes 4 lefts 4 rights, Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo, Subban. He'd make my team in a depth position though.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Well luckily for Canada you have no say in who they pick

Could say that for anyone for the matter \o/

flying-lawnmower.gif

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Canada goes 4 lefts 4 rights, Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo, Subban. He'd make my team in a depth position though.

You wouldn't take the best skating defensemen that changes the game with his offensive arsenal on big ice? tell me more.

Was asked how he could be left and I offered a not to crazy scenario where he doesn't make it based on TC decision. But he would make it on my tc roster in a depth position :nod:

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Pretty suspect and academic question
Karlsson is a lock on Team Sweden
They are likely going to hand the overated and overly hyped Canadians theirs in Sochi
Who could remotely care "what if" Karlsson makes the Canadian Dream Team - which will be further down on the pallet (Canada has yet to win a real Olympic medal in hockey since NHL participation was allowed outside of NA ice)in Russia

Last edited by a moderator:

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Is the OPs question then not a ridiculous shot at Sweden to begin with?
A winner of the James Norris Memorial Trophy a year ago in the Nhl and he is wondering if Karlsson would be good enough to play for Team Canada. On big ice.
Come on. You can do better than that.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Pretty suspect and academic question
Karlsson is a lock on Team Sweden
They are likely going to hand the overated and overly hyped Canadians theirs in Sochi
Who could remotely care "what if" Karlsson makes the Canadian Dream Team - which will be further down on the pallet (Canada has yet to win a real Olympic medal in hockey since NHL participation was allowed outside of NA ice)in Russia

My understanding was that all medals given out at the Olympic were real. Are you telling me there are counterfeit medals out there? I am shocked and appalled.

It's a legitimate question to ask if a particular player would make a given team; Subban, the most recent Norris winner, was (still is?) considered far from a lock for the Canadian Olympic team, so what makes you think Karlsson's hypothetical inclusion on the Canadian team is such a ridiculous topic of discussion? Just your apparent personal bias against Canada?

Last edited by a moderator:

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
A winner of the James Norris Memorial Trophy a year ago in the Nhl and he is wondering if Karlsson would be good enough to play for Team Canada. On big ice.

Would Subban be a lock for Sweden?

Although unsurprising that you can take this question as a shot at Sweden, I bet there's a lot of Canadians that actually take this as a shot to Hockey Canada's selection mentality.

I thnik the question is valid and I think Karlsson, at his best, is one of the best players in the NHL. Canada has a mold they want its players to fit into...which is why Subban is on the fringe despite a Norris win last year.

Just because you think a player like this would have trouble making Canada's team doesn't mean you agree with it.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Would Subban be a lock for Sweden?

Although unsurprising that you can take this question as a shot at Sweden, I bet there's a lot of Canadians that actually take this as a shot to Hockey Canada's selection mentality.

I thnik the question is valid and I think Karlsson, at his best, is one of the best players in the NHL. Canada has a mold they want its players to fit into...which is why Subban is on the fringe despite a Norris win last year.

Just because you think a player like this would have trouble making Canada's team doesn't mean you agree with it.

Yes. Subban would be a lock on Sweden. Just to be clear

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Yes. Subban would be a lock on Sweden. Just to be clear

So you understand my point?

Subban is far from a lock for Team Canada, and most people would tell you this isn't a testament to Canada's superiority (although it may be a testament to depth/options)...A LOT of people would blame decisions such as this on Canada not winning (fair or unfair).

Top 6 D for Top 6 D....take your pick between Sweden or Canada there are arguments for either...but Canada has a hard head towards prototype fundamentally sound two way players. The radical players like Subban and Karlsson have to be very convincing.

I think Karlsson at his best is convincing....but he's spent only a short time this season near his best. For most of this year, he's been a risky high-reward player.

Sweden doesn't have the options that Canada does. Arguments could be made at the top, especially on big ice, they have better Dmen.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.

What is so odd about that?
Subban won the Norris last season and he is far from a lock to make team Canada.

I think Karlsson would make it at least as the 7th dman but I can understand why someone else would have a different opinion.

Acetylene

Every dog has it’s day
Jul 10, 2010
Sweden
Heh, granted he´s free from injuries, Erik Karlsson on big ice will most certainly make all doubters eat crow. There´s maybe a handful of players representing all nations that I´d pick before him, when making my Olympic Dream Team.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Karlsson and Crosby/Stamkos? I don't think the other team would touch the puck.

It will be interesting to see Karlsson with Zetterberg and the Sedins.

I don't think there's a more valuable player to have in the Olympics on big-ice than Karlsson.

Jul 10, 2010

FYI, LAST years Norris Winner is considered a longshot for team canada...

IMO, no he does not make Canada, Hes a RHD. He is not someone i take over Weber, Doughty or Piets. He would be my obvious choice for the #7, but then again you may want to take someone else.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Based on this season? No. He's dynamic offensively but he has been absolutely awful in his own end for the majority of the season. It's hard to watch and very frustrating as a Sens fan.

He can turn it around, but in a short tournament you can't take chances like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad