Post-Game Talk: Worst. Reffing. Ever! Jets lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
You don't think perreault - roslovic - petan is a skill line?
Outscoring your opponents consistently is true skill in hockey. If your line can’t score practically any goals at all, it for sure ain’t a skill line.

Last edited:

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

Good post, and Maurice should be playing his 4th line a lot more. How does he expect guys like Roslovic and Petan to develop ?? They wont -- they need to get on the ice, and get their rhythm going. Other teams do it--why not Maurice ??

Does anyone have the stats on how many minutes the average 4th line plays? I’d love to see the comparison in real numbers.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Didn't like Mo's excuse on not challenging the Wilds third goal, didn't want to lose a timeout Mo said, just too bad you never remember to ever use the timeouts to back up your argument there Morris!
PMo actually says that he "would've needed a timeout to do that" meaning that he couldn't have challenged even if he wanted to because if I recall correctly he had already used his timeout. He then goes on to say "but I wouldn't have" which either means that he thought the call was correct or too close to overturn, or there was NFW the refs were going to give us any breaks.

EDIT: My recollection was correct - PMo did indeed use his timeout with 4:43 left in the 3rd which was prior to the Wild's 3rd goal...
Jets vs Wild - Nov 23 - 3rd period play-by-play

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I will post longer thoughts later when I get home but anyone blaming the game on "penalties" is missing the forest for the trees and ignoring blaring neon signs of danger.

I will confirm this later but I believe the Jets may already have lost the same or more games in regulation than they did all of last season where they led going into the third, they have certainly blown more multigoal 3rd period leads than they did last season.

The third pairing it's absolutely destroying us. I expect a goal against everytime I see Myers on the ice. Niku better be in tomorrow night if not I will be full on rooting for an 8-0 blowout loss so that change is finally made. It will suck but is something needed for the greater good.

And I don't want to hear about the refs, this is on the Jets, there were many soft "slashing"s called on the wild as well. I have no sympathy or ref bias excuses for one of the most penalized teams in the league. One or two games might be an anomaly but a team that is one of the most penalized teams in the league, that's on them.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Maurice is not one to make the right moves, until injuries force his hand. Or 3-4 years of terrible play. He’s pretty stubborn.
Time to put Poolman in there. I really think he could be a steadying force back there.
He might be but they need another effective puck mover more than him.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I will post longer thoughts later when I get home but anyone blaming the game on "penalties" is missing the forest for the trees and ignoring blaring neon signs of danger.

I will confirm this later but I believe the Jets may already have lost the same or more games in regulation than they did all of last season where they led going into the third, they have certainly blown more multigoal 3rd period leads than they did last season.

The third pairing it's absolutely destroying us. I expect a goal against everytime I see Myers on the ice. Niku better be in tomorrow night if not I will be full on rooting for an 8-0 blowout loss so that change is finally made. It will suck but is something needed for the greater good.

And I don't want to hear about the refs, this is on the Jets, there were many soft "slashing"s called on the wild as well. I have no sympathy or ref bias excuses for one of the most penalized teams in the league. One or two games might be an anomaly but a team that is one of the most penalized teams in the league, that's on them.
The refs were awful, that is the forest. Some poor performances to be sure but the refs hacked that game to bits and it favoured Minnesota in the long run.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Hasn`t been mentioned much tonight but one has to be impressed with how efficiently the Wild neutered our 5 PP chances. Did a great job on denying us zone entry, and then blocked most cross ice passing lanes and eliminated Wheeler/Connor and Wheeler/Schiefele when we actually did set up. Also pressured Laine and Connor quickly whenever we rotated the puck along the back board and reated turnovers. Boudreau began game planning against our PP as early as last playoffs, and we will need to make some adjustments to be successful in future... .
The Jets also forced the puck when they didn't need to. Wheeler was brain dead tonight on the PP unfortunately. He'll bounce back.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Tough pill to swallow.
Good things the Blues also played today and the back to back shouldn't be too imposing.

I'll have the GDT ready for posting very soon.
I know we don't get as much traffic on the weekends but you'll probably want to check this one out...

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The worst part of the night for me was being down a goal with about 4 minutes left and the little line hadn’t played in a while so Maurice sends out the 4 th line instead of the best line he had all night. Then he sends out an exhausted wheeler and Scheifele.

That Little line was head and shoulders above any other line all game long and he under utilized them all game.

Penalties are killing us too. The team had better be getting the message in the dressing room.

This is on Maurice imo.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Sounds like venting to me. Frustration his understandable but the overall point is off the mark.
I don’t agree. We deserved most of the penalties and weren’t called on some we did deserve. The coach needs to address this.

Also there is no excuse for sending every line out in do or die situations except your most effective line (Little).

This was coaching imo. Feel free to disagree.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Judging from what I’ve seen on YouTube and Twitter, I think I’m the only man alive on earth who thought that Brown’s hit on Copp was dirty. Hit him right in the numbers. No doubt the Lowry elbow was also dirty but that’s what happens when the refs don’t call Minnesota on anything.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
He will definitely not be for long, if Ehlers continues on his line. Good that Ehlers scored today for sure, but unfortunately he drags down his lines. Still I don’t see any better place for him than playing in the 1st line next to Scheifele. Except traded to another team for getting a top class 2nd line center or a true top class blueline QB.

Drags down his line?

On average his line mates score about 2 goals every 600 mins more than they do when they are without him.

That’s in the Jets top six for this and last year.

Reactions: Jack722 and surixon

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hasn`t been mentioned much tonight but one has to be impressed with how efficiently the Wild neutered our 5 PP chances. Did a great job on denying us zone entry, and then blocked most cross ice passing lanes and eliminated Wheeler/Connor and Wheeler/Schiefele when we actually did set up. Also pressured Laine and Connor quickly whenever we rotated the puck along the back board and reated turnovers. Boudreau began game planning against our PP as early as last playoffs, and we will need to make some adjustments to be successful in future... .

We need a coach that can counter a trap game.

Teams like LasVegas, Calgary and Minnesota trap Winnipeg and they eventually can not handle the pressure.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
I love this post and at the same time it is frustrating. There are coaches in NHL who can adjust their gameplan before the game and inside the game according opponent/on ice events. Unfortunately we dont have one of those.

Their PK was excellent and it took away all the Jets strenghts and utilized weaknesses.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
This was the first game I watched of CLL and they did look good. Best line 5v5. Blaming Ehlers for 1st line sucking seems a bit odd considering the game Wheeler & Scheifele played. Plus Wheeler just isn't an effective player when he's playing well over 20 minutes.

One thing I noticed about CLL, unlike most other lines Laine has been a part of, in this one he seems to play more like a 'regular winger' - what I mean by that he's often deeper in the zone with Connor and leading attacks etc, where as in the past he was often hanging back and being the first to support def in case of a turnover / counter attack. But like I said I only saw this one game... am I onto something here?

The reffing was absolutely horrible, though both teams seemed to have so many crazy calls go for and against them, it was hard to keep count who was 'winning' the game of refs... but the game of hockey lost, that much I'm sure of.

Reactions: Halberdier

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Drags down his line?

On average his line mates score about 2 goals every 600 mins more than they do when they are without him.

That’s in the Jets top six for this and last year.
Must be called ”The Stastny”-effect. Which will be overridden by ”The Connor”-effect when they continue with present lines.

19GoalsInPlayoffs

Jan 30, 2017
Almost impossible to distribute ice time to a 4th line that doesn't PK in a game with that many penalties.
Isn’t this a somekind of circular argument? Of course it is impossible if the 4th line is not doing PK.

But why it isn’t? It should. And I am not saying they should as a line but there are players that could and even should do it. And if they still are not ”elite” PK players, they should learn efficient PK by _doing_ it.

If our 4th liners are not capable of PK, they shouldn’t even be on the roster.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
The Maurice panic button equals to playing the first line under the ground every time the team is trailing. No matter if another unit has more flame under the wheels. He probably thinks Wheelers could lift a mountain if he wanted to. Unbelievably stubborn coach who lacks any sort of creativity or who'd be capable of adjusting along the pace of the game. In full context those social skills don't really balance up with the shortcomings of how to manage the roster in real time. After all the results mean more than thousand words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad