Pre-Game Talk: World Juniors Summer 2022

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I was impressed by the Finland team. They played well in the final game and definitly had a good chance to win, and almost did. Their team looked big and tall with speed.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You could be right but it's still a bit early to say that it's "proven". Kleven and Jarventie are projects, will be a few years before it's clear
This is also true. Jarventie was invisible last night, was hoping he could play and step up in a big game against better competition but it was the opposite. Both have a long way to go both have long development curves they could turn out you are right. But both have some big obstacles to overcome. Kleven's individual skill is not NHL level he needs alot of skill work. Jarventie seems to lack a willingness to compete at the moment, lots of raw talent though.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
34OA 2021

On the small side but not tiny.. Fantastic mobility; High end PMD... Ducks have another good one.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why wouldnt they have picked them?..... If not what does that say about the scouting team. The 2nd and third round do not look good.
When's the last time we drafted a 5'11 165 pound Dman or 5'9 center? Just doesn't seem like a Mann pick in either case.

For better or worse, those guys don't seem like the type of players we'd target,

Reactions: Sweatred

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
34OA 2021

On the small side but not tiny.. Fantastic mobility; High end PMD... Ducks have another good one.

Brothers are 5'11" and 6'0" so he could still round out by a couple inches if he's a late bloomer. Not that I'd count on it lol.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
When's the last time we drafted a 5'11 165 pound Dman or 5'9 center? Just doesn't seem like a Mann pick in either case.

For better or worse, those guys don't seem like the type of players we'd target,
It's certainly trending for worse since the 2nd round in 2020. Going on close to 20 straight questionable selections. Since they drafted Grieg who ironically was sub 6'0.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Has absolutely nothing to do with leaf hype. I knew that draft inside and out i did some work with an OHL team then due to the pandemic my job stopped and I had to isolate at home for 35 straight days with nothing to do i watched alot of video. I liked them both before the draft and both have developed really well. I dont care which team drafts which prospects it doesnt effect my evaluations. I hated the sens draft after the first round at the time and its proven to not be very good two years later.

I am definitely missing the context, HFboarding during fam vacay hehe naughty Armani, but which draft year are you referring to? Cannot be 2020 obviously, the best thing to have happened to the Sens. Stuezle, Hurricane Sanderson, The Riddler, Boom Boom, Sharko, Merilainen…freaking amazing haul by Pierre, Mann, and team.

Reactions: Sweatred

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I am definitely missing the context, HFboarding during fam vacay hehe naughty Armani, but which draft year are you referring to? Cannot be 2020 obviously, the best thing to have happened to the Sens. Stuezle, Hurricane Sanderson, The Riddler, Boom Boom, Sharko, Merilainen…freaking amazing haul by Pierre, Mann, and team.
First round was great, after that the entire draft left alot to be desired.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Don't see it either. This board didn't like Gustavvson who was way better at the same age. They'll hate Levi. Really bad 2nd and 3rd round for the sens in 2020 in my opinion. Traded Niemela and Hrvonen for Kleven. Jarventie over Peterka. Not good.
I liked the Sokolov pick. I also like the Kleven pick. I think Kleven has the potential to be a real impact player and there are flashes in his game that suggest some pretty impressive upside if he puts it all together. I could see Kleven making some big leaps much later in his development than many other prospects.

As for the rest of the 2nd round, I probably would have gone with JJ Peterka or Marat Khusnutdinov over Jarventie. We also could have kept the 2nd round pick we used to acquire Matt Murray and then we could have drafted one of Vasily Ponomarev, Jack Fnley, Tristan Robins or Will Cuylle.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
The Peterka one is the glaring one that we missed. Half the board was screaming for that guy at 26 and he was there again in early round 2.

Was the clear best player and I had him in my top 20 , and a guy who’s a line mate and bud of Timmy. It made too much sense to draft him and yet….we unfortunately didn’t

Reactions: bert and DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The Peterka one is the glaring one that we missed. Half the board was screaming for that guy at 26 and he was there again in early round 2.

Was the clear best player and I had him in my top 20 , and a guy who’s a line mate and bud of Timmy. It made too much sense to draft him and yet….we unfortunately didn’t
Idk, imo there is no clear best player when you get that far down the draft. Even at the top of the draft where guys are heavily scouted, there's often no consensus and sometimes when there is the consensus is proven wrong

Peterka had a great AHL season and goes higher in a redraft but there are no crystal balls.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
This is also true. Jarventie was invisible last night, was hoping he could play and step up in a big game against better competition but it was the opposite. Both have a long way to go both have long development curves they could turn out you are right. But both have some big obstacles to overcome. Kleven's individual skill is not NHL level he needs alot of skill work. Jarventie seems to lack a willingness to compete at the moment, lots of raw talent though.
I think Kleven may turn into a Zadorov type, hopefully with a better brain.

Jarventie is going to drive me nuts. Seems like a Hoffman/Duclair type upside. I can’t stand either of those players. Hopefully Roby finds an edge as he matures.

Reactions: bert

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not to derail the thread with other team's picks, but the Habs may have themselves a late round steal in this Joshua Roy kid. They got him in the fifth round in 2021, but he lit it up in the Q in his D+1 year, and looked really solid with eight points in seven games...

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Not to derail the thread with other team's picks, but the Habs may have themselves a late round steal in this Joshua Roy kid. They got him in the fifth round in 2021, but he lit it up in the Q in his D+1 year, and looked really solid with eight points in seven games...
It was interesting as the tournament went along how other players on the Team Canada roster began to shine besides the obvious ones. Roy was one of them for sure. He was very noticeable & his skill was on display.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I think Kleven may turn into a Zadorov type, hopefully with a better brain.
If his career as a Sen amounts to some very hard (but legal) hits to the Leafs or Habs' stars, especially in the playoffs, I'll be content.

Can't remember the last player we had that could hit like an absolute beast (aside from Brady's relentless forecheck)

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If his career as a Sen amounts to some very hard (but legal) hits to the Leafs or Habs' stars, especially in the playoffs, I'll be content.

Can't remember the last player we had that could hit like an absolute beast (aside from Brady's relentless forecheck)
Boro and Methot under Boucher’s system could step up at the blue line but Volchenkov was probably the best we had an open ice hits

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Idk, imo there is no clear best player when you get that far down the draft. Even at the top of the draft where guys are heavily scouted, there's often no consensus and sometimes when there is the consensus is proven wrong

Peterka had a great AHL season and goes higher in a redraft but there are no crystal balls.
I mean he was clearly really good and has only got better since then. It wasnt a crystal ball situation.

He is going to be a star.

Reactions: aragorn and DJB

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Merilainen struggled and got supplanted in the final 2 games, but otherwise a very good campaign for the Sens prospects, with The Riddler and Boom Boom being obvious standouts. Ostapchuk and Hamara are barely scratching on the surface, while K-Train does K-Train things and has such intriguing tools to curve out a mean bottom pairing D with some Mann time.

Sens prospects factory still intriguing to follow, future depth keeps improving.
Are you Don Brennen?

• Haha
Reactions: armani

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad