Pre-Game Talk: World Juniors Summer 2022

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The tournament is scheduled to take place between August 9th to August 20th. I am creating this thread because the summer camps for Canada and USA are beginning this weekend.

Here is Team Canada's schedule:
Summer Camp Practice Schedule

Here is Team USA's schedule:
2022 NJEC Schedule

For Team Canada, Ridly Greig will be on the team but won't be taking place in the summer camp. Zack Ostapchuk will be taking place in this camp. As the schedule lists he will play an intra-squad game on Monday July 25th and then a game against the U18 team either on Tuesday the 26th or Wednesday the 27th.

For Team USA, both Tyler Kleven and Tyler Boucher will take part in the summer camp. As the schedule lists, there will be an evaluation scrimmage on Thursday July 28th, an intra squad game on Friday July 29th, and on Sunday July 31st and finally an evaluation scrimmage on Monday August 1st.

I am not sure if the scrimmages will be televised or streamed but if they are I will make an update of where to watch them.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ostapchuk is at the 60 man 2023 camp

There’s no camp for the 2022 team, no players from last years team or 02’ born will be taking part.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Ostapchuk is at the 60 man 2023 camp

There’s no camp for the 2022 team, no players from last years team or 02’ born will be taking part.
Was that made official somewhere? I was under the impression that some of the Team Canada summer camp players could potentially make the roster for the summer tournament. But from what you are saying that doesn't seem to be the case. Was there some official release stating that?

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Was that made official somewhere? I was under the impression that some of the Team Canada summer camp players could potentially make the roster for the summer tournament. But from what you are saying that doesn't seem to be the case. Was there some official release stating that?

We're probably going to see at least a few 2022 team members not take part in the August WJC, similar to Sanderson on the US side, which would open up a few spots for guys who were not on that team. Presumably Hockey Canada will pull from players at the 2023 camp to fill those spots.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Agreed - I believe Kent Johnson said somewhere that he'd like to attend. Sure there are going to be very few players that return, but I don't think it's been announced that none will. Unless Bondra knows something that we don't.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Every single person on the 60 man roster is an 03’ or 04’. It’s a camp for the 2023 team that is done every year.

I’m sure a player could make it, but the guys who are competing or have spots for the 2022 team aren’t there.

All of Dufour, Lapierre, Thomson, Evangelesta, Tverberg, etc were at the final camp in December and would be available for the 2022 team as well.

None of the players on the team, who are available, are there either.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Every single person on the 60 man roster is an 03’ or 04’. a camp for the 2023 team that is done every year.

I’m sure a player could make it, but the guys who are competing or have spots for the 2022 team aren’t there.

All of Dufour, Lapierre, Thomson, Evangelesta, Tverberg, etc were at the final camp in December and would be available for the 2022 team as well.

None of the players on the team, who are available, are there either.
Makes sense.

Isn't there an age requirement on the WJC though? By having the camp pushed to the summer I thought that might make some players ineligible due to how old they will be at the time of the tournament. Or did they decide not to enforce some of those age requirements for this tournament specifically?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Makes sense.

Isn't there an age requirement on the WJC though? By having the camp pushed to the summer I thought that might make some players ineligible due to how old they will be at the time of the tournament. Or did they decide not to enforce some of those age requirements for this tournament specifically?
It’s the same tournament as it was in December, if they enforced the normal age limit it would exclude 85% of the tournament.

It’s a tournament for the 02’ class.

The 2023 tournament is for the 03’ class, which is what the usual summer camp is preparing for with the 03’ and 04’ group, minus guys who are already on the 2022 team.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Agreed - I believe Kent Johnson said somewhere that he'd like to attend. Sure there are going to be very few players that return, but I don't think it's been announced that none will. Unless Bondra knows something that we don't.
Loads of 02’s will be returning for the 2022 tournament, they aren’t putting a camp together for that team. Lots of 02’s that weren’t on the team will fill in, with a guy or two from the summer camp.

The camp they are putting off has nothing to do with the summer tournament, that’s for the 2023 team, hence only 03’ and 04’s and no members of the 2022 team there.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Loads of 02’s will be returning for the 2022 tournament, they aren’t putting a camp together for that team. Lots of 02’s that weren’t on the team will fill in, with a guy or two from the summer camp.

The camp they are putting off has nothing to do with the summer tournament, that’s for the 2023 team, hence only 03’ and 04’s and no members of the 2022 team there.
I was well aware of all of this - your original post just confused me and I perceived it in a different way than you intended it to be.

You saying "no players from last year's team or 02’ born will be taking part." made me perceive it as the summer WJC team wouldn't include any '02's or returning players when you meant that in just the context of the Hockey Canada summer camp for the WJC in December.

No big deal.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I wonder if any big name players (or even their NHL teams) will skip or not be loaned out this year due to all of the negative publicity?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So...there's no camp for the kids playing in the (postponed) '22 WJC from January...but there is a camp this weekend as the usual summer preliminary camp for the '23 tournament...correct?

So....I guess the WJC '22 team will likely assemble the beginning of August (or thereabouts) to prep for the tournament on the 9th?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00