GDT: World Juniors 2019 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
By on average I don't mean the average Canadian hockey fan, I mean if you take all Canadian hockey fans and average them out they'd be more prone to this type of behavior. Also, someone just compared talking trash about a fan base to sexism and racism. Maybe you're relaxed but not everyone on your side of the debate is relaxed over this.

It's not really a debate it's one side saying that Canadians are a certain way and the Canadians saying that's not how we are. We like the world juniors but I bet most people in Canada were watching their own NHL teams prospects as much as they were watching team Canada. It's less of a big deal here than you make it out to be, the Olympics and World cup are a different story. Plus in a NYR forum with a group of fans here from different nationalities it's a little bit of a Richard move to be dumping on their countries with invalid statements, and yes they are invalid as you cant make statements like that living in an entirely different province or state let alone a different country without some sort of way of backing it up.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Yeah because good-natured ribbing is the same as sexism and racism. I remember when Hitler was exterminating Canadian hockey fans and Canadian hockey fans couldn't vote until like 1920. Give me a break.

It's good-natured fun. This is a message board where fans come to have fun and joke around with and about other fanbases, that's part of being a fan. Hockey isn't that serious.
Hyperbole much?

I'm half Canadian and was born in Hamilton, Ontario... have lots of friends and family up there (all big hockey fans, shock).

I didn't appreciate it. That's not why I come to these boards.

Are you going to tell others to "Get over it" when they're offended by something that's a blatant negative stereotype?

Comparing it to genocide is pretty ridiculous. That doesn't make it right or acceptable here IMO

Oh and BTW I was watching and rooting vehemently for USA this entire WJC (not to mention Olympics and other tourneys past and future) but hey Canadians are all douchebags amirite?

Reactions: Sarge13

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's not really a debate it's one side saying that Canadians are a certain way and the Canadians saying that's not how we are. We like the world juniors but I bet most people in Canada were watching their own NHL teams prospects as much as they were watching team Canada. It's less of a big deal here than you make it out to be, the Olympics and World cup are a different story. Plus in a NYR forum with a group of fans here from different nationalities it's a little bit of a Richard move to be dumping on their countries with invalid statements, and yes they are invalid as you cant make statements like that living in an entirely different province or state let alone a different country without some sort of way of backing it up.

I do find it funny that @Machinehead basically predicted that now that Canada is out of the tournament it isn't a big deal. You're basically proving him right. If the tournament is not that big of a deal why is it that Canada's captain was harassed on social media enough to turn off twitter?

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hyperbole much?

I'm half Canadian and was born in Hamilton, Ontario... have lots of friends and family up there (all big hockey fans, shock).

I didn't appreciate it. That's not why I come to these boards.

Are you going to tell others to "Get over it" when they're offended by something that's a blatant negative stereotype?

Comparing it to genocide is pretty ridiculous. That doesn't make it right or acceptable here IMO

Oh and BTW I was watching and rooting vehemently for USA this entire WJC (not to mention Olympics and other tourneys past and future) but hey Canadians are all *****ebags amirite?

Once again, no one ever said Canadians are all douchebags. Machinehead even said he thinks they're great people. Who's using hyperbole now? Also, you compared it to sexism and racism, both of which have led to a lot of misery in the world. You're trivializing sexism and racism. And yes I will tell people who are overly sensitive about shit to get over it. That's my right, just as it's your right to make a mountain out of a molehill and be offended over trivial shit.

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I do find it funny that @Machinehead basically predicted that now that Canada is out of the tournament it isn't a big deal. You're basically proving him right. If the tournament is not that big of a deal why is it that Canada's captain was harassed on social media enough to turn off twitter?

People on Social media are tools, same reason people were telling Pete Davidson to kill himself a few weeks ago. Doesnt mean people are losing their minds about the tournament. If you are going to judge a country on Twitter trolls then I am going to suggest it doesnt paint a pretty picture of the USA either.
Someone predicting that the tournament wouldn't be a big deal after it was over when it wasnt a big deal before it started is real Nostradamus stuff.

Reactions: Riche16

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
People on Social media are tools, same reason people were telling Pete Davidson to kill himself a few weeks ago. Doesnt mean people are losing their minds about the tournament. If you are going to judge a country on Twitter trolls then I am going to suggest it doesnt paint a pretty picture of the USA either.

It doesn't, but 99% of Americans don't know that the WJC even exists. We're talking about Canadian hockey fans, not Canadians in general on Twitter.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Once again, no one ever said Canadians are all *****ebags. Machinehead even said he thinks they're great people. Who's using hyperbole now? Also, you compared it to sexism and racism, both of which have led to a lot of misery in the world. You're trivializing sexism and racism. And yes I will tell people who are overly sensitive about **** to get over it. That's my right, just as it's your right to make a mountain out of a molehill and be offended over trivial ****.
Not trivializing anything. I didn't care for it. I come here to learn from others and their experience and insight... even to read differing opinions that I may not agree with.

I don't think there's any place for that crap here.

Agree to disagree.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not trivializing anything. I didn't care for it. I come here to learn from others and their experience and insight... even to read differing opinions that I may not agree with.

I don't think there's any place for that crap here.

Agree to disagree.

And it's fine that we shit on Islanders, Devils, and Flyers fans? I've never seen you defend fans from other cities because you're not a fan of those teams.

It's trash talk. It's mostly good-natured. It's sports, not real life.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
And it's fine that we **** on Islanders, Devils, and Flyers fans? I've never seen you defend fans from other cities because you're not a fan of those teams.

It's trash talk. It's mostly good-natured. It's sports, not real life.
You can choose who you're a fan of... sports, music, whatever.

Can't choose where you were born. Again, I think this board should be above that crap... it clearly isn't and you clearly don't mind. That's fine. Was stating my opinion on it. No biggie. It detracted from why I come here... that's all I was sayin

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You can choose who you're a fan of... sports, music, whatever.

Can't choose where you were born. Again, I think this board should be above that crap... it clearly isn't and you clearly don't mind. That's fine. Was stating my opinion on it. No biggie. It detracted from why I come here... that's all I was sayin

You're more likely to be an Eagles fan if you were born in Philly. You're also more likely to be a fan of team Canada if you were born in the Canada. But people that were born in Canada also choose to follow team Canada. My grandfather lived most of his life in the Soviet Union, he rooted against them in hockey tournaments.

DutchNYR

May 6, 2018
The tension between the Russians and Canadians goes back decades and is multifaceted. It’s both politically and ideologically driven. Communism versus capitalism. Now I know Canada didn’t have a nuclear arms race with Russia like America did, however, Canada is a close ally, almost identical to America, so they definitely had differences politically and ideologically. The other dimension resides with the 2 countries considered being the best at the sport. Canada and Russia had a run of a few decades of being the 2 hockey powerhouses. This was before the American program really took off, before Sweden and Finland became medal contenders, hell, their “ jv squad”, Czechoslovakia was considered a top nation before the split. Russia beat all star teams. Go look at the Canada Cup games from the 70s, it’s some of the most intense and greatest games ever played. And that, ladies and gents is it for today’s history lesson. You want to know why Canada constantly boos Russia, there ya go.

An irrational hate of the Soviet Union and Russia does not equal a rivalry. For it to be a rivalry, it has to be two-sided. Booing Russians at games where pretty much no one from Russia except for the coaching staff and players attended is not a rivalry. I am sure that because of the Soviet Union’s dominance there was a big urge to beat them, but that doesn’t really warrant bullying teenagers some 40 years later...

The ideological side, for Russians, was mostly projected towards the United States, or the West in general - but certainly no one in Russia would’ve looked at Canada as the embodiment of the Western capitalist lifestyle.

I think Russians in general are kind of are indifferent towards Canada, just like how they are kind of indifferent to Sweden. Ofcourse those nations are rivals in the sense that they are quality teams and thus more challenging to beat, but would Canada’s place be taken by Zimbabwe and Sweden’s place by Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, it wouldn’t have made much of a difference. With the USA, it is quite different.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9darter

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Trolls are trolls but Machinehead wasn't talking about all Canadians. He was talking about Canadian hockey fans. The fact that people on twitter in the US troll people over politics or football isn't relevant to this discussion.

Most Canadians are hockey fans...they go hand in hand.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Again, I'm not talking about a country, I'm taking about an internet fanbase.

I've got roots in Ontario also, and family in BC.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also, what I said isn't a "stereotype" exactly. It's literally what happened.

In a thread between the US and Finland, half the posters are Canadian fans posturing about best on best tournaments.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Why was he allowed to play with a torn triceps muscle? Especially if it torn enough to require surgery now.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
It’s a stereotype and as such shouldn’t be allowed... sexism or racism would be banned here... comments deleted... but this is fine?

Come on. We’re better than this

So wait, did shit talking a fan base really just get compared to racism and sexism here? Is this part of that whole new "words are violence" mentality?

I fear for our future.

Also, everyone needs to read this and relax:

https://www.thecoddling.com

Reactions: KOVALEV022473
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad