World Junior Championships Thread - Garand, Othmann, Cuylle win GOLD!

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
We can continue making excuses for it, but it’s very clear Othmann has an attitude. Read the Firebirds thread on the OHL page - there’s some great commentary there, good and bad. Attitude, effort level, etc have been issues all year. I said this a few weeks back and got mocked for it.

It’s not the end of the world. The question is whether he can turn that into swagger like JT Miller or Dubinsky. I’m confident we’ve got a good player on our hands and I’m not super worried about it long-term. But this “Hockey Canada is singling him out” nonsense is pure BS. He didn’t make the team for the real tournament because he has an attitude, and he got benched for the same, entirely isolated, incident.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdJovanovski

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
There’s a HUGE difference between WJCs played in January and this one in August. Being disappointed and putting on dumb labels like “bust” and such is just as stupid in my book as when folks were making conclusions based on individual performances from the three games in the bubble two years ago.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
We can continue making excuses for it, but it’s very clear Othmann has an attitude. Read the Firebirds thread on the OHL page - there’s some great commentary there, good and bad. Attitude, effort level, etc have been issues all year. I said this a few weeks back and got mocked for it.

It’s not the end of the world. The question is whether he can turn that into swagger like JT Miller or Dubinsky. I’m confident we’ve got a good player on our hands and I’m not super worried about it long-term. But this “Hockey Canada is singling him out” nonsense is pure BS. He didn’t make the team for the real tournament because he has an attitude, and he got benched for the same, entirely isolated, incident.

Can you link them? I just went through about 90 pages of Flint threads (boring, but more fun than doing work) and there's like 2 or 3 comments about his perceived attitude (most of which was jumped on by other posters) and then some comments how he had a very bad game against Windsor, before rebounding in the next one.
Hopefully we're using a lot more than that as a basis to question his attitude, effort and commitment.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Can you link them? I just went through about 90 pages of Flint threads (boring, but more fun than doing work) and there's like 2 or 3 comments about his perceived attitude (most of which was jumped on by other posters) and then some comments how he had a very bad game against Windsor, before rebounding in the next one.
Hopefully we're using a lot more than that as a basis to question his attitude, effort and commitment.

There was this story that surfaced about Othmann telling fans to stop bidding on one of this jerseys during an auction but there are reports he wasn't even in the building for that, and the person bidding was the same that organized the auction.

Then there's HockeyCanada not sending him his championship ring of the u18 WJC for over a year when everyone else got the ring in 3-4 months. Then it was reported that Othmann refused to play through injury at the u18 WJC and that's what caused the rift between him and HockeyCanada.

Those are the only "issues" I know of.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think it is pretty clear that Hockey Canada isn't pickup up what Othmann is putting down. However, does anyone know why? What is it that Othmann did that made the Hockey Canada Org not like him?

I mean, honestly, if that shit Org doesn't like him, that probably means he's the only honest kid in the bunch, but you never know.

Honestly, I think it’s just a 100% classic instance of a dilemma which national teams at all levels face. You have 18 skaters of which like 17 are used to being a top 1-2 player for their team. If you have 18 skaters who all are — playing — like they are the top guy, you won’t make it past the 1st round. There are many many examples of complete failures in this regard. Like compareable to Colorado losing in the POs against the worst ECHL team.

So it’s definitely more important to play guys and select guys who gives you a line that plays in a realistic way for a 3rd line, players who are prepared to take a step back and fill roles that must be filled, over optimizing talent.

With that said, Othman of his junior team is not that player. But — Othman should definitely be able to play the right way. If he doesn’t, it’s because he aim too high.

Reactions: MrAlmost

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Oh well he got benched . He’s still on team Canada

Let him dominate another year then to the AHL

No need to rush

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
He refused to play through an injury and he's cocky for sure. The not playing through an injury I call "intelligent;" he f***s himself up and he maybe loses his career before it starts. He thought for himself and made his decision, but that is all it takes to get branded a "problem." People are petty, some will even cut off their own nose to spite their face. I'm not worried about him. I'm way less enthused about Kravtsov's issues, and I don't think they will stop him from being a very good to excellent NHLer. Ummm wait, sorry Jovo, I meant a Christlike NHLer!

Last edited:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
He refused to play through an injury and he's cocky for sure. The not playing through an injury I call "intelligent;" he f***s himself up and he maybe loses his career before it starts. He thought for himself and made his decision, but that is all it takes to get branded a "problem." People are petty, some will even cut off their own nose to spit their face. I'm not worried about him. I'm way less enthused about Karvtsov's issues, and I don't think they will stop him from being a very good to excellent NHLer. Ummm wait, sorry Jovo, I meant a Christlike NHLer!
Jesus didn't play in the NHL.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Chmelar scored for Czech early against Finland per the IIHF website.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
so Grieg took 2 3rd period penalties practically on b2b shifts 1st led to a goal to cut lead to 4-2 the other created a 5on3 ofc he had 1g 1a

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Seems that Greig is their defensive zone draw guy though, I'd have to imagine he's one of their top PK guys. I didn't catch all of the game so I can't say.

That's obviously not an ideal third period, especially with 2 crunch time penalties.. but from what I saw of the game I liked what I saw from Greig. Seems to have really good middle 6 center potential, would potentially fit this team great.

Reactions: ArPanet

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Weird period, the Czechia coach barely played that 2nd line. Not sure if they had a bad shift I missed. The last shift of the period was the first time I saw Jaro in 2nd for a long time.

The WJC site has his TOI at 5:24 but that may have just been the first? Should be getting 2nd line minutes.

That means Ridly Greig is scratched tonight, right?

Bathroom.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad