World Junior Championships Thread - Garand, Othmann, Cuylle win GOLD!

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's just really hard to tell with these kids in the Canadian Juniors until they play in an honest to goodness pro league.

Othmann's only pro experience so far was extremely underwhelming. I love that he had a big year, but that should be the expectation of a D+1 guy drafted in the middle of the first round.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Lol Othmann skating as an extra because of 2 dumb penalties

I remember last off-season when I said that he tries to be someone he isn’t and that leads to him taking dumb penalties. We saw it ourselves in pre-season but everyone thought his discipline would improve over time

Looks like it’s still true. There’s no chance he ever ends up a top 6 forward. I keep telling you guys his game isn’t translating. He’s like 8-10 on our prospect list. Not top 3
100% correct. He's 19 years old and stands zero chance of becoming more diciplined on the ice and making better decisions some day when he's 22 or 23 and not still a f***ing teenager. Hahahaha. This fanbase says some downright silly shit sometimes.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
100% correct. He's 19 years old and stands zero chance of becoming more diciplined on the ice and making better decisions some day when he's 22 or 23 and not still a f***ing teenager. Hahahaha. This fanbase says some downright silly shit sometimes.
No that just adds to my opinion that he will never be a top 6 NHL a player. Never liked him, he was a DND for me personally up until the 3rd round in his draft.

He can’t even crack Canada’s top 12 in his last eligible year

Reactions: Shadowtron

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
No that just adds to my opinion that he will never be a top 6 NHL a player. Never liked him, he was a DND for me personally up until the 3rd round in his draft.

He can’t even crack Canada’s top 12 in his last eligible year
Didnt YOU just say it was because of undisciplined play? Hahaha. Come on. Guy has a wicked shot, can score from anywhere, was what 2nd in OHL goal scoring to a guy a year older? And since he's a year younger than Cuylle, wouldn't that mean he has another eligible year? He's got an objectively excellent chance to become a top six NHLer. As you said, you just "never liked him."
Edit: Looked it up: if U20 is held in Dec like normal, Othmann will still be 19 (Jan bday) and thus would be eligible for the Tourney.

Last edited:
Reactions: McSauer

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Disappointing that Berard played under 14 min. Did he go from a top 6 spot in Dec to a bottom 6 spot somehow?

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
That's an awfully definitive prediction. He clearly has the skill to be a top 6 forward, and he wouldn't be the first guy to take undisciplined penalties and still play in the top 6. Strome frequently took bad penalties, and Trocheck takes a lot of penalties too. Hopefully it's something that Othmann will improve on, but that alone won't hold him back from being a top 6 forward.

Othmann i see a lot of Brandon Dubinsky in his game.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's just really hard to tell with these kids in the Canadian Juniors until they play in an honest to goodness pro league.

Othmann's only pro experience so far was extremely underwhelming. I love that he had a big year, but that should be the expectation of a D+1 guy drafted in the middle of the first round.

How was his pro season extremely underwhelming?

Reactions: McSauer

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Two penalties bad, sexual misconduct good, nice standard
Yup.

I wouldn't worry about this. Othmann isn't a made man in the Hockey Canada organization. He got snubbed initially last year, used it to motivate him until he really gave the selection committee no choice. First thing he does when he makes a mistake is ride the pine.

GTFO to those that don't think he has top 6 potential based on him taking two penalties in a practice game. Let's see him in preseason or play a few games in the NHL or AHL before he's labeled a bust.

djzbad

Jun 10, 2022
Yup.

I wouldn't worry about this. Othmann isn't a made man in the Hockey Canada organization. He got snubbed initially last year, used it to motivate him until he really gave the selection committee no choice. First thing he does when he makes a mistake is ride the pine.

GTFO to those that don't think he has top 6 potential based on him taking two penalties in a practice game. Let's see him in preseason or play a few games in the NHL or AHL before he's labeled a bust.
Yea they’ve been messing with this kid for a while unfortunately there’s no slush fund to help his cause

Reactions: bhamill

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
No Othmann or Garand? Happy to root against Canada today then. I mean, it would take a miracle for them to lose but i'll be rooting against extra hard just in case.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
No Othmann or Garand? Happy to root against Canada today then. I mean, it would take a miracle for them to lose but i'll be rooting against extra hard just in case.
Think Garand not playing today is about the opponent. They play Slovakia tomorrow. I'd bet to job is Garand's to lose.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Yup.

We saw him in pre-season and he took dumb penalties then

Think Garand not playing today is about the opponent. They play Slovakia tomorrow. I'd bet to job is Garand's to lose.
100%. They want to get Cossa’s confidence up so he can draw in later if need be. Garand is the starting goalie, everyone seems to know this. There’s no point in starting Garand against Latvia for WJC game 1

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I don't think I've seen a soul suggest Othmann is ready for a top-six role with the Rangers.

Anyways it looks like he was bumped out of the top-12 for Canada after some undisciplined play in the pre-tournament game.
Your not seeing it doesn't mean some haven't said it.

Me neither. I've seen people suggest that he will make the team, or at least get 9 games, but I haven't seen a single person pencil him into the top 6 next season. Future top 6? Sure, but not next year.

His lack of discipline is the one big concern I have for him. He clearly has the talent, but he takes a lot of penalties. Those penalties hurt his team at times during the playoffs. That's why I've wanted him to go back to juniors next year, so he can refine his game in an environment where he has already been successful. Hopefully his coaches and the Rangers player development people have talked to him about cleaning up that part of his game.
Sounds like a description of Strome.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Sounds like a description of Strome.
I expect Othmann to be a better goal scorer, and better without the puck. We'll see if he can reach the same level of production in the NHL.

Trocheck takes a lot of penalties too. I did a breakdown of penalties by both Strome and Trocheck in this post:

Trocheck draws enough penalties to offset the ones he takes. If Othmann can't reduce the number he takes, then hopefully he can at least draw a comparable amount.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Hockey Canada obviously still settling their vendetta against Othmann.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad