World Junior Championships Thread - Garand, Othmann, Cuylle win GOLD!

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Cameron is a pretty intense coach....he should know his OHL guys and use them accordingly.....remember....this is also a possible preview /jumping off spot for him and not just the players . If he does well he might earn himself another chance back in the NHL . He is a good guy...fitness/yoga fanatic and would talk hockey 24/7 .

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Sykora cross checked into the side of the net after Sykora going for a loose puck. Love the Rangers prospect so far. 5 on 3 for Slovakia

Slovakia trails now 4-3 Petrovicky scores on the PP, and still on the PP

and Czechia takes another penalty delay of game.

another power play for Slovakia

Reactions: bl02

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I only saw the 3rd. Pretty exciting ending. Sykora wasn’t overly impressive to me, but it’s one period of one game so doesn’t really mean anything.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
USA has a 5 minute powerplay with a hit by Rossmy as James is falling down in the corner. Refs claim hit to the head. USA leading 1-0 already

Cooley makes it 2-0

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I only saw the 3rd. Pretty exciting ending. Sykora wasn’t overly impressive to me, but it’s one period of one game so doesn’t really mean anything.

Yeah, he was solid but far from dominating, but it’s important to remember that this is the WJC for the age group born 2002 and Sykora is a 2004. There is a big difference between the development of someone who is late 17 y/o age and someone who is basically 20.5 y/o in the most extreme cases.

I think the ‘bar’ for Sykora should be set as someone who is one of the better forwards for Slovakia and who makes some good plays. He can’t be expected to dominate.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
We had 4 players in action yesterday, and their countries scored a combined 20(!) goals yet none of them even got a point.

Not the day 1 I had hoped for.

Reactions: Ola

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Othmann and Cuylle are both bottom 6 players?
Both are wildly overrated by Ranger fans, partially because we never draft Canadians and fans see those numbers and think they must be good, without context of how much top end prospects score in the CHL. Same way you see some fans say Kravtsov didn’t even get a point per game in the KHL, even though the KHL is significantly lower scoring than the NHL

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Both are wildly overrated by Ranger fans, partially because we never draft Canadians and fans see those numbers and think they must be good, without context of how much top end prospects score in the CHL. Same way you see some fans say Kravtsov didn’t even get a point per game in the KHL, even though the KHL is significantly lower scoring than the NHL
A lot of folks here who follow the kids have portrayed Cuylle as probably a bottom 6 guy, but these same folks have been saying Othmann might be ready for a top 6 role with the Rangers next season. If that's true, then the guys ahead of him must be sure-fire NHL stars.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

You are not allowed to use the word "overrated", ever.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
A lot of folks here who follow the kids have portrayed Cuylle as probably a bottom 6 guy, but these same folks have been saying Othmann might be ready for a top 6 role with the Rangers next season. If that's true, then the guys ahead of him must be sure-fire NHL stars.
I don't think I've seen a soul suggest Othmann is ready for a top-six role with the Rangers.

Anyways it looks like he was bumped out of the top-12 for Canada after some undisciplined play in the pre-tournament game.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Lol Othmann skating as an extra because of 2 dumb penalties

I remember last off-season when I said that he tries to be someone he isn’t and that leads to him taking dumb penalties. We saw it ourselves in pre-season but everyone thought his discipline would improve over time

Looks like it’s still true. There’s no chance he ever ends up a top 6 forward. I keep telling you guys his game isn’t translating. He’s like 8-10 on our prospect list. Not top 3

Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
We had 4 players in action yesterday, and their countries scored a combined 20(!) goals yet none of them even got a point.

Not the day 1 I had hoped for.
Thought Berard looked really good despite not having a point. Although I didn’t watch the 3rd period.

Sykora technically should have had an assist

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I don't think I've seen a soul suggest Othmann is ready for a top-six role with the Rangers.
Me neither. I've seen people suggest that he will make the team, or at least get 9 games, but I haven't seen a single person pencil him into the top 6 next season. Future top 6? Sure, but not next year.

Anyways it looks like he was bumped out of the top-12 for Canada after some undisciplined play in the pre-tournament game.
His lack of discipline is the one big concern I have for him. He clearly has the talent, but he takes a lot of penalties. Those penalties hurt his team at times during the playoffs. That's why I've wanted him to go back to juniors next year, so he can refine his game in an environment where he has already been successful. Hopefully his coaches and the Rangers player development people have talked to him about cleaning up that part of his game.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Lol Othmann skating as an extra because of 2 dumb penalties

I remember last off-season when I said that he tries to be someone he isn’t and that leads to him taking dumb penalties. We saw it ourselves in pre-season but everyone thought his discipline would improve over time

Looks like it’s still true. There’s no chance he ever ends up a top 6 forward. I keep telling you guys his game isn’t translating. He’s like 8-10 on our prospect list. Not top 3
That's an awfully definitive prediction. He clearly has the skill to be a top 6 forward, and he wouldn't be the first guy to take undisciplined penalties and still play in the top 6. Strome frequently took bad penalties, and Trocheck takes a lot of penalties too. Hopefully it's something that Othmann will improve on, but that alone won't hold him back from being a top 6 forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad