GDT: World Jr - Can vs US 11:00AM

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It took Ethan Bear until this year to be an NHL player. So one might imagine that Draft + 3 could apply to other mid to late round prospects. It's a miracle for most teams to get an NHL player after the 2nd round though, really.
That's fair but we haven't drafted a single guy be an NHL player since McDavids draft and that's including our firsts. So fingers crossed we have at least 1-2 guys in that group. (Not talking about the last draft as that's much to soon).

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It hasn’t even been a full season since being drafted. He’s pretty much on par stats wise with Klefbom at the same stage. If he’s looking mediocre in his draft +3 year while in the AHL I’ll be there with you (and I shouldn’t, but I’m impatient). Development is not a linear path.

Of course you will be there with him 3 years from now. After the story has been told. The fact of the matter is the decisions on players has to come on draft day, not 3 years later.

Reactions: nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I have watched a few of his games. Just not this recent world Juniors one.

And you know what if people don't want to give me no quarter that's fine. What's bugs me is when people's counter argument is simply that I'm wrong or negative with absolutely nothing backing it up. Just blind faith in the prospect or just simple hate for me.

I enjoy being wrong about things, especially when I'm negative. I love when prospects exceed my limited expectations or when the team plays well when I expect them to play bad.

Edit: What I've seen from Broberg is a player that is big, a good skater and has decent positioning. Doesn't have a good shot or offensive instincts but can sometime help generate chances by causing the other team to scramble. I've also seen him cause trouble for his own team by almost trying to hard and do things himself, which doesn't work cause he simply doesn't have the instincts or hockey iq. Defensively he has a decent stick and has decent positioning due to his skating. This year he isn't struggling but isn't quite excelling. He is getting bottom pairing minutes in the SHL and is working hard but I also wouldn't say he is excelling at it (his +/- helps to reflect that). His physical aspects makes him intriguing and gives him potential but he has a metric crapton to work on to have that excel against adults.

Kind of like Yak, against youth he could dominate as he just used his athleticism to do it, when he went against adults that could react to him much easier and could outthink him, his game crumbled. I think Broberg is setup better to possible over come it but the development needed to be more than a 3rd pairing NHLer is pretty high, which is why I am not high on him as a prospect. Even if he reaches his ceiling, that's still only a second pairing guy as his offensive side of his game just ain't there.

you sure are able to take a lot of information from the one or two games you claim to have supposedly watched him play this year. Seeing as you previously admitted to never watching him play before he was drafted...

Reactions: KYams17

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
you sure are able to take a lot of information from the one or two games you claim to have supposedly watched him play this year. Seeing as you previously admitted to never watching him play before he was drafted...
And then I went back and watched games after he was drafted and watched highlights.

You seem to have a very strong opinion on a player that you literally know absolutely nothing about.

So instead of just telling me how I'm wrong or no nothing. What's your actual opinion on the player? Or are you going to just continue to provide literally nothing of substance and debate posters and not their posts?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
That's fair but we haven't drafted a single guy be an NHL player since McDavids draft and that's including our firsts. So fingers crossed we have at least 1-2 guys in that group. (Not talking about the last draft as that's much to soon).

We might see that as soon as this year if Holland and Tippett decide to bring up any of the AHL guys. Benson and Yamamoto have a decent shot at being middle 6 guys. Maksimov might come on as another middle 6 guy, maybe he comes a bit out of nowhere like Bear did (aside from a few posters like @harpoon, I think most fans wrote off Bear after his injury riddled season last year). I think Samorukov will get his legs in the AHL over now and next season and Bouchard might be ready next year. Lagesson likely replaces Russell next year and Jones is traded for a middle 6 winger or packaged for a 3C. Puljujarvi somewhere in that same boat. Broberg will be a couple years or so out, unfortunately, but should be a 2nd pair guy at worst IMO.

It just sucks that they aren't ready now, I agree on that.

Reactions: harpoon

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We might see that as soon as this year if Holland and Tippett decide to bring up any of the AHL guys. Benson and Yamamoto have a decent shot at being middle 6 guys. Maksimov might come on as another middle 6 guy, maybe he comes a bit out of nowhere like Bear did (aside from a few posters like @harpoon, I think most fans wrote off Bear after his injury riddled season last year). I think Samorukov will get his legs in the AHL over now and next season and Bouchard might be ready next year. Lagesson likely replaces Russell next year and Jones is traded for a middle 6 winger or packaged for a 3C. Puljujarvi somewhere in that same boat. Broberg will be a couple years or so out, unfortunately, but should be a 2nd pair guy at worst IMO.

It just sucks that they aren't ready now, I agree on that.
I'd agree with Benson but not Yamamoto. Yamamoto is the exact same player he was last year and his NHL experience was really bad. Kid has a lot to improve on before he should be of any use in the NHL. Maksimov might come out of no where but he really isn't showing up at all in the AHL. Samorukov is developing slow but that seems to not be odd for him, Bouchard is still a wild card for me.

Lagesson might replace Russell but I could also see the Oilers not resigning him cause they prefer Jones.(Lagesson was also drafted the year before McDavid so my point stands :P)

Broberg you know my opinions on but I don't see enough in his game to be a 2nd pairing guy at worst. I think his best case right now could be the path Nurse took but more AHL time as Nurse was rushed to the bigs

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Of course you will be there with him 3 years from now. After the story has been told. The fact of the matter is the decisions on players has to come on draft day, not 3 years later.

Yes...and it's too early to know whether or not it was a good decision to draft him. Almost every single draft pick has risk involved, even first overall time to time, apparently

I wasn't crazy about the pick at first and still not sure about it but I'm not sure who else I would have picked. The guys I wanted were all gone by the time by the time the Oilers were up. If Zegras was not a college player, I would have been more upset with passing on him. Caufield had some risk, Boldy hasn't done much yet, Podkolzin was very polarizing (and a similar feeling to the US college players for risk, at least that's what people seem to think), Soderstrom would have been met with the same resistance as Broberg by most posters (I believe he was ranked even lower). Krebs was someone I would have liked to draft as I think teams slept on him but it felt too early to draft him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
And just like I thought, you have literally nothing to provide
You seem to already know it all. Just like you had completely written Broberg off after the draft when you had never watched him play a game. You’ve been talking out of your rear since the day he was drafted and now your own words have caught you in your own lies. But at least now you’re telling the truth about having never seen him before you made your mind up about him.
I think he projects to be quite similar to Klefbom but more of a defensive workhorse due to his JBow quality of skating, assuming his defensive game can continue to improve, which there’s no reader to assume it won’t at this point. I’d bet him a Bouchard become one of the best defensive pairings in the league if they get the chance in 5 years.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I'd agree with Benson but not Yamamoto. Yamamoto is the exact same player he was last year and his NHL experience was really bad. Kid has a lot to improve on before he should be of any use in the NHL. Maksimov might come out of no where but he really isn't showing up at all in the AHL. Samorukov is developing slow but that seems to not be odd for him, Bouchard is still a wild card for me.

Lagesson might replace Russell but I could also see the Oilers not resigning him cause they prefer Jones.(Lagesson was also drafted the year before McDavid so my point stands :P)

Broberg you know my opinions on but I don't see enough in his game to be a 2nd pairing guy at worst. I think his best case right now could be the path Nurse took but more AHL time as Nurse was rushed to the bigs

Yamamoto needs to stay healthy, I think his wrist injury is still troubling him. That could be his undoing too. Maksimov needs more time to adjust to the pro game as does Samorukov. Both Bear and Jones looked mediocre in their first year. Bouchard will be a PP third pairing guy at worst IMO if he never improves on his defensive game. Which sucks but it happens.

I think they are giving more time to Jones to showcase him a bit and to see if he can take another step. I believe they are confident that they know what they have with Lagesson (bottom pair defensive D). (And yes, but it also proves that it can take a long time for a prospect to be NHL ready.)

Do you think he'd be worse than Nurse? I think he has a better shot and offensive IQ in lieu of Nurse's physicality. Nurse is a 2nd pairing at worse guy IMO. I see them as both having a similar floor.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yamamoto needs to stay healthy, I think his wrist injury is still troubling him. That could be his undoing too. Maksimov needs more time to adjust to the pro game as does Samorukov. Both Bear and Jones looked mediocre in their first year. Bouchard will be a PP third pairing guy at worst IMO if he never improves on his defensive game. Which sucks but it happens.

I think they are giving more time to Jones to showcase him a bit and to see if he can take another step. I believe they are confident that they know what they have with Lagesson (bottom pair defensive D). (And yes, but it also proves that it can take a long time for a prospect to be NHL ready.)

Do you think he'd be worse than Nurse? I think he has a better shot and offensive IQ in lieu of Nurse's physicality. Nurse is a 2nd pairing at worse guy IMO. I see them as both having a similar floor.
I'd say Broberg is a better skater than Nurse but his shot and offensive iq is honestly worse. Nurse has shown offensive flair as a junior, Broberg really hasn't. Broberg has the size and skating to be an NHL guy but I don't think he has the mind for it, at least not yet. I think him and Nurse are similar comparables with neither of them ever really having the skillset to be a top pairing guy

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'd say Broberg is a better skater than Nurse but his shot and offensive iq is honestly worse. Nurse has shown offensive flair as a junior, Broberg really hasn't. Broberg has the size and skating to be an NHL guy but I don't think he has the mind for it, at least not yet. I think him and Nurse are similar comparables with neither of them ever really having the skillset to be a top pairing guy

what qualifies a player to be skilled enough to be a top pairing guy?

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Probably being completely unknown to the quoted poster until you’re already a top pairing dman, or playing for another team. I can’t imagine making a comment on brobergs mental game after having seen him play I would guess less than a handful of times.

Reactions: KYams17 and nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Probably being completely unknown to the quoted poster until you’re already a top pairing dman, or playing for another team. I can’t imagine making a comment on brobergs mental game after having seen him play I would guess less than a handful of times.
Nah you can watch a few highlights of a defenseman nowadays to determine career absolutes for an 18 year old junior player, it’s especially easy to get a complete read on their offensive IQ, shot and all other skill sets.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'd say a guy with good offensive iq who can read the game well offensively and defensively.

Usually top pairing defenders contribute well offensively while being solid defensively.

To me a guy that's a top pairing guy needs to be able to defender well and move the puck well as well.

Broberg doesn't have the offensive side to his game but has a defensive side. Which is why I don't see him as ever being a top pairing guy. Not close to enough offensive prowess

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'd say a guy with good offensive iq who can read the game well offensively and defensively.

Usually top pairing defenders contribute well offensively while being solid defensively.

To me a guy that's a top pairing guy needs to be able to defender well and move the puck well as well.

Broberg doesn't have the offensive side to his game but has a defensive side. Which is why I don't see him as ever being a top pairing guy. Not close to enough offensive prowess

you can tell all of that by watching a few highlights of a player in his draft +1 year? Do you think he’s not going to develop at all as a player?

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
This is an ugly continuation of the Oiler game. Missed offside challenge and can't recover.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Strong second period for Canada. Foote and Foudy playing some determined hockey. Hofer with some big stops including a dynamite breakaway save and a couple in tight off good passing plays by the Germans. PK looked tight as well against a strong German PP.

Who knew that playing with blood on the jersey is against the rules. Seems like a very unhockey rule.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Said it before I'll say it again, what a draft the Kings had last year.

Alex Turcotte
Tobias Bjornfot
Arthur Kaliyev
Samuel Fagemo
Lukas Parik
Jordan Spence
Kim Nousainien

Reactions: MessierII

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Broberg better ****ing turn out. Zegras looks in-****ing-sane.

After the Puljujarvi fiasco and his MVP performance at this tournament in 2016, I now put zero stock in it. I just don't see how the validity of this two week event of 16-19 year olds playing each other shapes how successful they will or may become against grown men in a professional league. Yet Mckenzie, Button, et al seem to think this tournament is almost the end-all, be-all to draft stock and professional development.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
After the Puljujarvi fiasco and his MVP performance at this tournament in 2016, I now put zero stock in it. I just don't see how the validity of this two week event of 16-19 year olds playing each other shapes how successful they will or may become against grown men in a professional league. Yet Mckenzie, Button, et al seem to think this tournament is almost the end-all, be-all to draft stock and professional development.
I don't know, it goes both ways. You do see high end players provide high end performances in this tournament as well. I think it has to do with your ability to "shine," when put up against the best of the best in your own peer group.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Said it before I'll say it again, what a draft the Kings had last year.

Alex Turcotte
Tobias Bjornfot
Arthur Kaliyev
Samuel Fagemo
Lukas Parik
Jordan Spence
Kim Nousainien
I'd argue their first 4 guys are better than Broberg and Lavoie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad