Confirmed with Link: World Cup of Hockey 2016

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
I don't get the big outrage by many of you. The young gun team is silly and should have been left out, but nothing else is really that bad.

Just set it up like the olympics but on NHL ice with NHL rules. Host it in late summer so players from other leagues can participate and its the same damn thing as the olympics but better. IIHF rules are lame.

I dont care if players win a medal or a trophy, best on best hockey is best on best hockey.

Of course they evidently need to gimmick it up. I dunno . . . just doesn't seem like the best way to start what the NHL is clearly trying to establish as an alternative to Olympic participation.

Yeah I would agree with this

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Just set it up like the olympics but on NHL ice with NHL rules. Host it in late summer so players from other leagues can participate and its the same damn thing as the olympics but better. IIHF rules are lame.

I dont care if players win a medal or a trophy, best on best hockey is best on best hockey.

Of course they evidently need to gimmick it up. I dunno . . . just doesn't seem like the best way to start what the NHL is clearly trying to establish as an alternative to Olympic participation.

Even though I don't mind this format at all I think you bring up good points.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
How about an AHL all-star team? That'd be cool, and a nice nod to the AHL.

You know, thinking about how the Winter Classic ratings have been hit and miss, and how the All-Star game has become all offense, maybe they should just combine the two and have an All-Star 'pond hockey' game. Throw the sticks in the middle and have some fun and let us enjoy the best players doing their thing while waves of nostalgia, rather than nausea, wash over us. That'd be a fun event.

Tnouc Alucard

Sep 10, 2014
I remember really enjoying the Canada Cup games when I was young, so I'm willing to give it a chance. As long as they don't use it to replace participation in the Olympics it is all good.

Don't fool yourself, the World Cup is going to replace NHL participation at the Olympics.

The majority of the owners don't want to go to the Olympics again, there's nothing in it for them. They put up all the risk (players getting injured) and get no rewards.

Many studies have shown that NHL participation in the Olympics has NOT translated into any tangible benefits to the NHL.

Why should the NHL compress their schedule, shutdown their league for practically three weeks, for nothing in return.

The World Cup will be all their show, and all revenues generated will go to the NHL and the players.

Bettman has said, if the IOC wants the NHL players to participate in the Olympics, they would be open to how they do the same with the NBA players, move the Hockey tournament to the Summer games. This all points to the World Cup as the way out of the Olympics for the owners.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
So I know if you're under 23 and Canadian or american you have to play for the under 23 team.

But what about this team Europe. Can a player who doesn't make team Sweden play on team Europe or is team Europe only comprised of players from the countries not represented.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
So I know if you're under 23 and Canadian or american you have to play for the under 23 team.

But what about this team Europe. Can a player who doesn't make team Sweden play on team Europe or is team Europe only comprised of players from the countries not represented.

Good question. This under 23 game is probably going to make a farce of the whole thing. I'd rather see a young superstar be on the main team (if he's deemed ready of course), then on a kiddy team. :shakehead

Tnouc Alucard

Sep 10, 2014
Good question. This under 23 game is probably going to make a farce of the whole thing. I'd rather see a young superstar be on the main team (if he's deemed ready of course), then on a kiddy team. :shakehead

I'm confused, :confused:how could a young (23 and under) player play for the "main team" for Canada or the USA, and then play on the "kiddy" team??? This would this have to be in the same tournament, as they'll be four years apart.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
How about an AHL all-star team? That'd be cool, and a nice nod to the AHL.

You know, thinking about how the Winter Classic ratings have been hit and miss, and how the All-Star game has become all offense, maybe they should just combine the two and have an All-Star 'pond hockey' game. Throw the sticks in the middle and have some fun and let us enjoy the best players doing their thing while waves of nostalgia, rather than nausea, wash over us. That'd be a fun event.

You'd have to think there would be a couple AHL guys that would crack some of the other teams.. ie the Young guns team or the Team Europe.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
It once had that feel because NHL players didn't play in the Olympics, so the Canada Cup/World Cup was the only thing that resembled a best on best.

Now that we've had the Olympics, which clearly clearly clearly has more relevance to the players than the World Cup could ever hope, there's no way this can approach the level of either the Olympics or the 80's / 90's World cups.

Yes & no. We had the Olympics in 1998 & 2002, and the World Cup in 2004 was also awesome.

Having this 2 years apart from the Olympics would still be special! Gives more players a chance to play for their Country every 2 years.

Can't wait, bring it! :yo: (without the under 23 kiddy tourney) :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad