Confirmed with Link: World Cup of Hockey 2016

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
The U23 and Rest of World are only for the first WC. I agree its lame, but if its only for this one I am okay with it.

I dont agree that the Swiss can put up a challenge. If we lost to them there would be a summit to find out what is wrong with hockey. The games against countries like Switzerland are horrible.

Who will cheer for the U23 team other than their moms?

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
If this is the way it's going to be lets make Canada have two teams, one eastern and one western.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
I like this Ryder cup style tourney for 2018 I think they said which for all purposes will replace Olympic participation which I am fine with.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
This is a joke. The World Cup actually meant something back in 1996 was it against Richter and the Americans.

This is a sideshow to me.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
How can you ask the u23 guys to play against their country? That would feel so wrong for those kids who've repped their nation all the way through. I don't like that one bit. Just have another country or have fewer teams. This is bs.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
How can you ask the u23 guys to play against their country? That would feel so wrong for those kids who've repped their nation all the way through. I don't like that one bit. Just have another country or have fewer teams. This is bs.

It's clearly just for fun.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Is this supposed to take place in the middle of the season?

I'd much rather being NHL hockey. I doubt Ill waste my time with this.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Team Europe AND a U23?

not-impressed-getty.jpg

At least Team Europe can play an epic underdog role. U23 is just dumb.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Considering how long it takes most goalies (not to mention defencemen) to develop, it sounds to me like that U23 team will get torn to shreds.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
It's clearly just for fun.

Yeah, but it's national teams so it'll be fun until Canada loses a game and then the nation will implode and/or explode and guys will want to win and Dominik will get hurt and then we won't win the Cup. Or something.

I'm cheering for the u23 team.

Also, if it's just for fun, they should have an over 35 team. I'd cheer for them.

Also, if they're going outside the box, they should have an all siblings team full of Sutters and Michaleks and Staals.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I think that is largely because it hasnt been around for 10 years. It once had that feel, and it will again.

It once had that feel because NHL players didn't play in the Olympics, so the Canada / World Cup was the only thing that resembled a best on best.

Now that we've had the Olympics, which clearly clearly clearly has more relevance to the players than the World Cup could ever hope, there's no way this can approach the level of either the Olympics or the 80's / 90's World cups.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Will it only allow NHL players or can players from KHL and other European leagues play?

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I love best on best tournaments. They've provided the finest hockey I've ever seen. I hate this gimmicky format though. Mark Streit has said he hates it too.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Just set it up like the olympics but on NHL ice with NHL rules. Host it in late summer so players from other leagues can participate and its the same damn thing as the olympics but better. IIHF rules are lame.

I dont care if players win a medal or a trophy, best on best hockey is best on best hockey.

Of course they evidently need to gimmick it up. I dunno . . . just doesn't seem like the best way to start what the NHL is clearly trying to establish as an alternative to Olympic participation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad