Czech Republc
Finland
Russia
Sweden
USA
North American Youngstars
Team Europe

Discuss.

@NHL: 8 World Cup of Hockey teams: Canada, United States, Czech Republic, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Team Europe, & Team North American Youngstars

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
North american youngstars... Wtf?

I can't see a team of u23 having any chance vs the other teams. I don't understand that decision.

Otherwise sounds great.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I'd be pretty pissed if I were a slovak.

I'm curious if some players will refuse to attend.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
if the NHL can suspend them (they would right?), the players wouldn't have an option

If that's the case they can always come down with convenient injuries like all the players who don't want to go to the all star game.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
This is a joke.

True exhibition and can't imagine anyone but the kids and perhaps the Euro all-stars taking it seriously...

If they want a side show they have it but the young stars effectively ensure that some teams will not ice their best line-up.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I like it, it will be fun hockey to watch. I'm also not a very nationalistic individual so the different teams don't bother me at all. Its like HF will have their own team in their tourney, an all 23 and under team? Loads will be blown.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
So this will be the substitute for the Olympics? what if an under 23 Canadian doesn't feel right playing against Canada?

Are KHL players allowed to attend?

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
I personally find this exciting.

What ever the flaws are, team naming/distribution, I am still very much looking forward to this

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Lame. An exhibition tournament... I will be upset if this replaces participation in the Olympics.

They should have just played nice with everyone else and added a standard international break mid season.

Year 1: World Cup of Hockey, with all national teams.
Year 2: All Star Gala
Year 3: Olympics
Year 4: All Star Gala

Voila, all star breaks then can be something special. We get best of best tournaments every other year.

Instead now we'll likely lose our only best on best and have yet another exhibition tournament that no one cares about

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
This is a terrible ****ing idea. How do you expect the U23's to play against Canada? This is an even bigger joke if it's replacing the Olympics. Also, Slovakia and Switzerland are perfectly capable of providing a challenge. In 2010, we won in shootout against Swiss and 3-2 against Slovakia.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
So this will be the substitute for the Olympics? what if an under 23 Canadian doesn't feel right playing against Canada?

Are KHL players allowed to attend?

I hope not, and doubt it. As much as winning a Cup medal would be exciting, it would be more of an honour to win an Olympic medal, and thankfully being 2 years apart from the Olympics is a good sign.

If KHL is allowed in the Olympics, they should be allowed here to.

Love it! It was great seeing it here in Ottawa in 2004 in the pre-tournament.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Lame. An exhibition tournament... I will be upset if this replaces participation in the Olympics.

They should have just played nice with everyone else and added a standard international break mid season.

Year 1: World Cup of Hockey, with all national teams.
Year 2: All Star Gala
Year 3: Olympics
Year 4: All Star Gala

Voila, all star breaks then can be something special. We get best of best tournaments every other year.

Instead now we'll likely lose our only best on best and have yet another exhibition tournament that no one cares about

I would rather see

World Cup
World Championship
Olympics
World Championship

To get NHL players in the WC the NHL moves their schedule forward 2 or three weeks, and the IIHF pushes the WC back 2 or 3 weeks.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Olympics on large ice is incredibly boring compared to smaller ice. These past Olympics were terrible. If the World Cup is on NHL ice always ill be happy.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Everything is fine if those young guys are all rejects from their respective country. they probably arent though

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Olympics on large ice is incredibly boring compared to smaller ice. These past Olympics were terrible. If the World Cup is on NHL ice always ill be happy.

The olympics would have been funner if Sweden didn't lose its top 3 centres... 1 of which the IIHF/olympic committee screwed them out over.

The ice was fine, I prefer the big ice every now and then.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The olympics would have been funner if Sweden didn't lose its top 3 centres... 1 of which the IIHF/olympic committee screwed them out over.

Bleh I thought it was a snooze fest. 2010 was way better and that was every game not just because of the Canada USA matchup. My opinion anyway. I'm okay with bigger ice such as like a foot wider or something but that Olympic size stuff stunk.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Not really. I'd say his medical staff screwed him over by not double-checking if his allergy medication contained any banned substances. It did and he took it. The right decision was made to not give a severe sanction and only a reprimand.

Mistakes like these are solely on the player and his training staff who should have caught that. IOC were just doing their job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad