World Cup Final: Sep 14 GDT - Finland vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince Mercury

Apr 7, 2004
Fort McMurray
Excellent game, excellent riot downtown Toronto.

Lecavalier winning MVP is farcical, it's an insult to everyone else on the team. He makes one important goal in a game he played poorly in and racked up a few assists on a high scoring line and all of a sudden everyone else's efforts go unnoticed.

Westcoasthabsfan

Aug 22, 2004
In Pandoras Box
Leafer4Life said:
Why do you have to bring the leafs into this?!?!?!? Can't we all get along for one night?!?!?!? A huge mistake, scheduling the tournament in T.O.?!?!?!? TEAM CANADA WON THERE, SO IT WAS A GOOD THING! GET OVER YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry didnt mean to strike a nerve....

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Prince Mercury said:
Lecavalier winning MVP is farcical, it's an insult to everyone else on the team. He makes one important goal in a game he played poorly in and racked up a few assists on a high scoring line and all of a sudden everyone else's efforts go unnoticed.

How is it an insult to every one else on the team? He was in on most of the winning goals for Canada. 4 out of the 6 winners he scored or assisted on. In the game he didnt he was named the best player (as Oceanic39 pointed out on another message board). He played pretty darn well and was 2nd in scoring in the tourney. Hes with a handful of other guys that could have won it.

Congrats to some Canadian fans. There are some who acted like idiots when the US lost that dont deserve this, but for the other good sports congrats. The best team won. Congrats to Finland for a heck of a run. I never thought theyd make it out of the European pool much less make it to the finals. They have nothing to be ashamed of.

And how about this year for the Lightning: Hart-St. Louis, Conn Smyth-Richards, WC MVP: Lecavalier. Those 3 all won the cup and the world cup. 2 Lightning players (Modin, Vinny) on the all-tourney team. Torterella wins the jack adams, St. Louis takes the Ross, Richards wins the Lady Byng. Year of the Lightning it seems. :yo:

SopelFan*

Overall, the World Cup was OK. It didn't showcase the best players, it wasn't terribly exciting, (especially the final), and the scheduling was terrible. I guess it was good enough to get me through part of the lockout, but I expected more, I guess. I wasn't really into picking a team to cheer for, as much as I just wanted to see good hockey. But good for everyone who participated and now let's start the NHL season, so I can cheer for my team again, and not have to cheer for guys like Adam Foote and Jarome Iginla. :D

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
teme said:
and Eloranta for going after that puck knowing he was going to get slammed.

That was the guy who got crushed by Regher beating out the icing call right? You could see the whole thing coming. Whoever threw that puck in there for him deserves a kick in the arse. He sent him in there on a suiside mission. Kudos for him for sticking with it.

Mad respect to Finland. Great game. You are now my 2nd favorite national hockey team.

onice said:
I'm sorry SergeiK, the Finns have nothing to be ashamed about. They're a great team.
But they did lose or did they?

Match-up of this caliber and Finns gave two soft goals. Well, it ain`t no surprise. The whole history of Finland (not just sports) is filled with concept of honourable defeat. We Finns have made losing an art-form.

MeN_Ace2

Dec 22, 2002
Portland, OR
Visit site
SergeiK said:

Match-up of this caliber and Finns gave two soft goals. Well, it ain`t no surprise. The whole history of Finland (not just sports) is filled with concept of honourable defeat. We Finns have made losing an art-form.

Sad. How someone can dwell on ALL the negative and NEVER see the positive in life.

Great Tourney Team Finland! :yo:

MeN_Ace2 said:
Sad. How someone can dwell on ALL the negative and NEVER see the positive in life.
Because this is what Finish sport -and especially hockey - is always been: sloppy seconds. If you count the world championship games, this is the 7th final that Finns have lost consecutively.

You can call it dwelling in negativity, but for me it`s more speculating what wrong with Finish mentality. Why can`t we win?

I´m sure that if Canada would have lost last night, they would be very proud of their team and it`s perfomance and found consolation from the fact that they played great tournament

Excuse me if I`m dissapointed. Or are you saying that Team Finland is such a crappy team that it didn`t have a chance to win Canada and fans should just be proud that they beat Germany. If you`re not saying that, then why can`t we be dissapointed? We lost for God`s sake!

Last edited:

Jarkko

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
First of all, congrats Canada! You were the best team in this tournament, no doubt about it. :bow: We were quite close at this game, but not close enough.

chicpea*

SergeiK said:

Sergei, let me first add that I've always liked your avatar, since last years WJCs I think.

Second, as to losing as an art-form, you are talking to the wrong people. Canadians know more about this than anyone, and I won't even mention the brawl at the WJCs with Fleury et al, nor will I mention Gretz on the bench in Nagano. Losing and playing well are not mutually exclusive. The Fins not only played well tonight, they played well the whole tournament, despite controversy, and despite losing Niinimaa. The game vs. Sweden was a hell of a match and the wins against the Czechs and the US were also monumental.

Third (more on the second point really), honourable defeat is what makes champions in my eyes. It's poor losers (like Team USA invariably) that are disgraceful. I know that when the Finnish team wins next time, they will be as gracious in victory as they are in defeat. It's why I like them. They are a classy bunch, and as I've said in other threads, losing to Saku would not sting at all.

weetabix

Sep 6, 2004
so-and-so

SergeiK said:
You can call it dwelling in negativity, but for me it`s more speculating what wrong with Finish mentality. Why can`t we win?

If you`re not saying that, then why can`t we be dissapointed? We lost for God`s sake!

I think that Koivu said it best. There was just more experience in Canada side to these situations that it paid itself in the end. Finland was just a little bit too eager to win. But for the first time there was a real sense that we could win this game.

And credit to where it belongs. Canada was better no doubt about that, but we fought and that is something that we can be proud of. Next time our turn.

weetabix said:
Next time our turn.
Is it? How many times we have heard that? "Next time". It`s always the next time.

Even gold medal in next World Championships would help my suffering and get me to believe that maybe - just maybe - a Finn can win.

As what Koivu said I think that the biggest difference was the culture of winning - or in Team Finland`s case: lack of it.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Prince Mercury said:
Excellent game, excellent riot downtown Toronto.

I think you are way overstating things, as Lecavalier had a great tourny... I agree that Sakic for sure,or maybe Brodeur (earlier), would have been more logical... but Vinny played some great games when little was expected of him. I think they did want to pass the title onto someone else, and I sure Lecavalier was a little embarrassed to take it over Joe.... looked like that was the general concensus as well. I think you must have missed how many hits Vinny laid out over the course of the series. Thorton ended strongly but may not have been as consistant... of course his roll was different, but I wouldn't have been shocked if he got the nod either.

All around a good month of hockey.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
SergeiK said:
Because this is what Finish sport -and especially hockey - is always been: sloppy seconds. If you count the world championship games, this is the 7th final that Finns have lost consecutively.

I´m sure that if Canada would have lost last night, they would be very proud of their team and it`s perfomance and found consolation from the fact that they played great tournament

Excuse me if I`m dissapointed. Or are you saying that Team Finland is such a crappy team that it didn`t have a chance to win Canada and fans should just be proud that they beat Germany. If you`re not saying that, then why can`t we be dissapointed? We lost for God`s sake!

The Finns lost because they couldn't steal the game. Canada had four #1 lines, equal speed, equal youth, award winning vets, arguably a better defence (even after losing two to injury and two more of the best bowed out), and a goalie that has had years of playing at the top of his game.

Sure the Finns could have won, but they would have had to play a perfect game while Canada could win by just being decent. That's a fair discrepancy. Anyhow, it sucks to lose, but you're going down the wrong path with that attitude because the Finnish squad will only get better. I'm certain no one disagrees with that.

Cheers

Frozen

Aug 23, 2004
Congrats to Canada.

I stayed up and watched it until 5.00 am to see my team losing, then had to wake up 6.30 am. :cry:

But anyway, good tourney. Enjoy your World Cup victory, Canada. :handclap:

Tinke

Sep 14, 2004
SergeiK said:
Hope that Finish media gives Kipper the same treatment that Swedish media gave Tommi Salo.

:mad: SHAME ON YOU!!!!! :mad:

God I'm mad now... Totally speechless :shakehead

Last edited:

Jyssy

Jan 2, 2004
Jyväskylä, Finland
Congrats to Canada from me too. Finland made too many mistakes, but nice to see that we have taken a step forward in finnish ice-hockey. Maybe it was too early to win this cup. But still, it was so close... Thanks to FINNISH LIONS. Future looks bright for us. 3 finnish players were drafted in the first round in this years draft. Next year Teemu Laakso and Tuukka Rask are likely to go in top 10. 2006 Jesse Joensuu is one of the candidates to go first overall. And we already have players like Tuomo Ruutu, Kari Lehtonen, Joni Pitkänen, Hannu Toivonen and Mikko Koivu who play in NA. Canada is number 1 in world, but only for now!

weetabix

Sep 6, 2004
Winning

SergeiK said:
Is it? How many times we have heard that? "Next time". It`s always the next time.

Even gold medal in next World Championships would help my suffering and get me to believe that maybe - just maybe - a Finn can win.

As what Koivu said I think that the biggest difference was the culture of winning - or in Team Finland`s case: lack of it.

Yes, and how do you get this. With playing in tournaments you get experienced in winning. Now we allready believe that it can happen, now it is just matter of time when we win. Like Summanen has said the most important factor in the game is that you have faith (or what you want to call it) that you can win.

And I would add that your attitude is the one that makes things harder. You believe in winning only when our team wins and not necessary even then (it was luck or something like that).

The result was expected. If Finland plays lets say 7 times againts Canada (with these teams) I would think that Finland could win maybe 1-3 games.

Think for it a while. Let's take the previous Nhl season and the trophies that was being given after the season. How many finnish players there were and how many canadians? Make comparison and think why we need many oportunities in this type of tournament.

Tinke

Sep 14, 2004
weetabix said:
Yes, and how do you get this. With playing in tournaments you get experienced in winning. Now we allready believe that it can happen, now it is just matter of time when we win. Like Summanen has said the most important factor in the game is that you have faith (or what you want to call it) that you can win.

And I would add that your attitude is the one that makes things harder. You believe in winning only when our team wins and not necessary even then (it was luck or something like that).

The result was expected. If Finland plays lets say 7 times againts Canada (with these teams) I would think that Finland could win maybe 1-3 games.

Think for it a while. Let's take the previous Nhl season and the trophies that was being given after the season. How many finnish players there were and how many canadians? Make comparison and think why we need many oportunities in this type of tournament.

You are absolutely RIGHT!! :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Well, I'm happy that it was Canada who won us. In paper you had superior team and with the expectation from the fans, the media, heck the whole nation and they take it home. Truly amazing hockey players you got there.

For Team Finland. It was a little surprise to me that we won the european pool. A small miracle that we won Team USA. Then a great fight against Team Canada. I am just happy for the result. Of course I would have been in heaven if Team Finland could have pulled it off and take the win.

:bow: Team Canada
:bow: Team Finland

Hans Moleman

Was saying Boortuzzi
Apr 4, 2004
FTW
I got what I wanted, my two favourite teams in the world playing a good, exciting game that wasn't a blowout either way. :handclap:

I hope Finland remembers this tournament and if in time its squad rivals that of Canada's in terms of star power, it remembers the value of role players. Even guys like Eloranta and Hentunen can mean the difference. They don't have any players lined up for retirement just yet (Except Numminen), they can only get better, it's quite possible that soon their roster will be up there with the big boys. And with Kiprusoff or Lehtinen between the pipes, Finland has the best goaltending it has ever had. It also goes to show you how different this team is with captain Koivu, compare this team's result with Salt Lake's.

I also hope Canada remembers this tournie, their line-up is the new benchmark for how to create a winning team. Gretzky and co. did a good job acquiring the right players and the coaching staff did a good job of assembling the pieces and making them work. And even with some top end talent missing, especially the top two defenseman, Pronger and Blake, things just clicked. Brodeur was a wall all tournament long, he just reaffirms his status as number one goalie in the world perennially. They never trailed during the tournament and I really have to hand it to Canada, they played as a TEAM just as well as Finland did. Congrats. :bow:

I think we all learned a little goaltending can go a long way, who knows how different this tournament could have worked out if Russia had Khabibulin or Nabokov.
I'll definitely be looking forward to the next olympics.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
The game was disappointing, but that's what I expected, so it wasn't really.

Well, at least Tuomo Ruutu gave us a nice goal to look at...

And sure, the second Canadian goal was easy, but:

a) Kipper still made a lot of big saves as well
b) It wasn't the winning goal

So I'm not ready to blame this thing on Kipper just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad