World Cup Final: Sep 14 GDT - Finland vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

High flyin' Habs*

tommi462 said:
The game was disappointing, but that's what I expected, so it wasn't really.

Well, at least Tuomo Ruutu gave us a nice goal to look at...

And sure, the second Canadian goal was easy, but:

a) Kipper still made a lot of big saves as well
b) It wasn't the winning goal

So I'm not ready to blame this thing on Kipper just yet.

Dont make excuses for him, its clear that he sucked especialy on the 2nd goal.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I think that Summanen will do good at the helm. I can just imagine how good this tournament had been with the added scoring threat of Sami Kapanen. To see the points so well spread over the team I must say is wonderful, talk about team effort!

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Kipper's mindset was disturbed as soon as sakic scored int he first minute of the game. It's hard to stay composed after that.

Prince Mercury

Apr 7, 2004
Fort McMurray
Hockeyfan02 said:
How is it an insult to every one else on the team? He was in on most of the winning goals for Canada. 4 out of the 6 winners he scored or assisted on. In the game he didnt he was named the best player (as Oceanic39 pointed out on another message board). He played pretty darn well and was 2nd in scoring in the tourney. Hes with a handful of other guys that could have won it.

I think without doubt Sakic or Brodeur is more deserving, and debatably the same could be said for Smyth, Heatley, Thornton or half a dozen others. Lecavalier won a game he helped Canada lose and racked up some assists on a high scoring line. Colour me unimpressed.

quat said:
I think you are way overstating things, as Lecavalier had a great tourny... I agree that Sakic for sure,or maybe Brodeur (earlier), would have been more logical... but Vinny played some great games when little was expected of him. I think they did want to pass the title onto someone else, and I sure Lecavalier was a little embarrassed to take it over Joe.... looked like that was the general concensus as well. I think you must have missed how many hits Vinny laid out over the course of the series. Thorton ended strongly but may not have been as consistant... of course his roll was different, but I wouldn't have been shocked if he got the nod either.

MVP stands for Most Valuable Player - and to me at least that would indicate a player the team could least do without. Knowing how the team reacted to losing Brodeur, I can't imagine it being anyone else, but I can guarantee you that losing many other players would've hurt the team. Iginla, to quote an example, wasn't much of a force on the stats sheet, nor most likely in the locker room, but he gave and gave and really pushed momentum for Team Canada. Since you bring up consistancy, I frankly think Lecavalier was grievously inconsistant as his presence was nowhere to be seen on the ice were he not adding another point to his total.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
It's funny how the people who really REALLY hate Lecavalier are absolutely not willing to budge on that issue and will grasp at any straw they can. The call against him in the Czechs game was weak, 99% of people recognize that, but by all means, blame him for it. :shakehead

espo*

Agreed.I think from Start to finish he was Canada's most consistent player.He played with a lot of hustle,took the body hard,got back on defense and was one of Canada's most dangerous players offensively.I find it hard to see how anyone could critisize him.

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
Westcoasthabsfan said:
Hope the Laff fans enjoyed Mario and the boys skating around the rink with a trophy because they will never see the cup making the rounds there. Man whoever scheduled the tourney final in TO made a huge mistake... it was like a morque for most of the night

GO CANADA

Congrats

Holy you don't need to bring this **** up. Why are you bringing the Leafs up into this? Is that what was in your mind when Canada raised the World Cup? "Haha the Leafs will never celebrate a win like that" whereas normal Canadians would be saying "Canada Won!!" Did you want them to put the final game where they LOST the last world cup? I know there are some great Habs fans out there but people like you :banghead:. It's not our fault it isn't as LOUD because it's sold out to corporate people and what not. Did you see the celebration outside on the streets? Doubt it

Anyway onto the game. Even if I am Canadian, I LOVED that goal Ruutu scored! It was a beauty! I probably wouldn't be saying that if the outcome was reverse but that was an amazing goal! The game was pretty good...I was calm throughout the game, doubt I would have been if Luongo was in net. I don't think Lecavalier should have received the Tournament MVP honour...it should have been Brodeur! Overall, good game and probably the last bit of hockey we'll be seeing for a long time :cry:

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
How many of you that say the crowd wasn't loud were actually at the game????
Seemed pretty loud from my seat.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Prince Mercury said:
I think without doubt Sakic or Brodeur is more deserving, and debatably the same could be said for Smyth, Heatley, Thornton or half a dozen others. Lecavalier won a game he helped Canada lose and racked up some assists on a high scoring line. Colour me unimpressed.

You obviously didn't watch the games if you think Lecavalier was a leach and Heatley was a great contributor. Lecavalier was dominant physically and was a threat whenever he was on the ice except for probably 1 game. It was between him, Sakic and Brodeur and all are very deserving. Honorable mention to Thornton too.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The Albino said:
You obviously didn't watch the games if you think Lecavalier was a leach and Heatley was a great contributor. Lecavalier was dominant physically and was a threat whenever he was on the ice except for probably 1 game. It was between him, Sakic and Brodeur and all are very deserving. Honorable mention to Thornton too.

i'd have to agree.....Heatley and Gagne contributed very little.

AlexCvm

Jun 27, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I was at the game and it wasn't loud at all. Being loud doesn't mean yelling when Canada scores, it means yelling and chanting all the time. I'm from Montreal, I've been to both game at the Bell Center and I was at the final yesterday in Toronto...not even close, Montreal fans are louder than those in Toronto period. Doesn't mean that they are not good fans tho...

onni

Sep 14, 2004
I'm a bit late, but congratulations to Team Canada!! Even though I'm a Finn -and very, very proud one- I couldn't be sad after the final game. Actually, I was pretty happy.

I just love the way Canada plays, I've always loved. Maybe it's because Finnish ice-hockey is pretty much the same...

And after reading the comments that you Canadians have written, I just respect you even more. You didn't underestimate our team. The Team that comes from a little Nordic country called Finland.
You won't hate your opponent just because you have to play against it. Unbelievable. Great respect!

So I hope we'll see a good hockey in the future, and more Ruutu-goals ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad