World Championships - Who's Going? (Besides Hank)

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Not that Pickard was the problem for Canada in the gold medal game but it's still surprising that he was the only goalie available. Price, Holtby, Talbot, Crawford were all idle after the 2nd round. Not sure how the process works but if Henrik played, I imagine they can too.

I imagine that Team Canada reached out to some of them, and then Price/Holtby/etc. declined to play.

It's not just like "Oh hey, I'm available to play for my country now, so I'll go do that."

Team asks first.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I imagine that Team Canada reached out to some of them, and then Price/Holtby/etc. declined to play.

It's not just like "Oh hey, I'm available to play for my country now, so I'll go do that."

Team asks first.

Yes but surprising that they couldn't entice anyone to play. Pickard should be a backup goaltender in the league.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
Short interview with Henrik, apparently as late as noon today he wasn't sure he was going to be able to play. When interviewer asked what was wrong he said, neck, hip and knees. OT and then SO really took it out of him. Hopefully he can go home now and rest up and be healthy and ready for the next season. Oh, he was also asked about the SO and said he basically has sucked in them for the last couple of years and was happy he could get back to the way he played a couple of years ago :laugh:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Didn't even realize how much this is going to do for Hank going forward in the twilight of his career knowing he can still play at an elite level. great job by Sweden in this tournament all around!

You are comparing a three week tournament to the NHL.

The Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy to win in any sport.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
I'm honestly okay to see this happen.

Hank and Joel playing together after 12 years, and winning gold, knowing the fact that they will probably never play together again for their country...so emotional and heartwarming.

Yup, and like I said they would have lost to the Penguins anyway. A second round loss feels less painful than a ECF loss. So this was a great outcome.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Short interview with Henrik, apparently as late as noon today he wasn't sure he was going to be able to play. When interviewer asked what was wrong he said, neck, hip and knees. OT and then SO really took it out of him. Hopefully he can go home now and rest up and be healthy and ready for the next season. Oh, he was also asked about the SO and said he basically has sucked in them for the last couple of years and was happy he could get back to the way he played a couple of years ago :laugh:

Injured Henrik is Sweden and NYR MVP still. Only if the rest of the team brought more to the plate.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Hank visibly in pain during the medal ceremony. Hopefully a couple months off heals him up right.
Lundqvist by his own words: "It's been a rough time. I have pain in my neck, shoulder, hip, knee..."
Joel: "You're starting to get old."

At 12:00 on gameday, Hank didn't feel like he would be able to play, but the med staff fixed him up (mostly pain in his knee). He said he felt it in the 2nd and 3rd period "... and of course we had to play OT..."

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Lundqvist by his own words: "It's been a rough time. I have pain in my neck, shoulder, hip, knee..."
Joel: "You're starting to get old."

At 12:00 on gameday, Hank didn't feel like he would be able to play, but the med staff fixed him up (mostly pain in his knee). He said he felt it in the 2nd and 3rd period "... and of course we had to play OT..."

yeah, I`m happy for him - he is too emotional usually when we have lost in the playoffs the recent years - it`s not good for his health.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Oh well at least we made the final with our B team
Team A
William Nylander - Niklas Bäckström - Henrik Zetterberg
Filip Forsberg - Jakob Silfverberg - Rickard Rakell
Alexander Steen - Alexander Wennberg - Gabriel Landeskog
Carl Hagelin - Markus Kruger - Patric Hörnqvist
Mika Zibanejad, Viktor Arvidsson

Erik Karlsson - Niklas Hjalmarsson
Viktor Hedman - Anton Stralman
OEL - Mattias Ekholm
Hampus Lindholm

Henrik Lundqvist
Jacob Markström
Viktor Fast

Team B
Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Loui Eriksson
Elias Lindholm - Mikael Backlund - Viktor Rask
Calle Järnkrok - Patrik Berglund - Gustav Nyquist
Marcus Johansson
- Oscar Lindberg - Jesper Fast
William Karlsson, Andre Burakovsky, Joel Eriksson Ek, Joakim Nordström, Carl Söderberg

Alexander Edler - Jonas Brodin
Johan Klingberg - Tobias Enström
Oscar Klefbom - Adam Larsson

Rasmus Dahlin ;)

Eddie Lack
Robin Lehner

Just saying...

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah, Sweden is one of the best hockey nation in consider overall total population for sure. They have many good young talents too - I`m curious how they develop them each year at a much younger age before they get drafted in NHL! :)

Sweden population 9.9 million citizen.
In New York city 12 million citizen. :)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Team A
William Nylander - Niklas Bäckström - Henrik Zetterberg
Filip Forsberg - Jakob Silfverberg - Rickard Rakell
Alexander Steen - Alexander Wennberg - Gabriel Landeskog
Carl Hagelin - Markus Kruger - Patric Hörnqvist
Mika Zibanejad, Viktor Arvidsson

Erik Karlsson - Niklas Hjalmarsson
Viktor Hedman - Anton Stralman
OEL - Mattias Ekholm
Hampus Lindholm

Henrik Lundqvist
Jacob Markström
Viktor Fast

Team B
Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Loui Eriksson
Elias Lindholm - Mikael Backlund - Viktor Rask
Calle Järnkrok - Patrik Berglund - Gustav Nyquist
Marcus Johansson
- Oscar Lindberg - Jesper Fast
William Karlsson, Andre Burakovsky, Joel Eriksson Ek, Joakim Nordström, Carl Söderberg

Alexander Edler - Jonas Brodin
Johan Klingberg - Tobias Enström
Oscar Klefbom - Adam Larsson

Rasmus Dahlin ;)

Eddie Lack
Robin Lehner

Just saying...

Mr Green is going to be on team A in a few years.

I'd also have Ziba and Arvidsson on line 3 instead of Landeskog and Steen. You could maybe put them on line 4 or as the scratches.

Am I wrong thinking Sweden may be the second best in the world? I think USA could match them, maybe. That might be the toss-up. Sweden is far ahead of Russia and Finland.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
Don't forget Oscar Lindberg. I know Backstrom/Nylander got all the attention but he did a good job of crashing and banging and getting them the puck. Must have been fun for him playing on the first line with those two. Guess they're just a wee bit better than his usual linemates :laugh:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
xiz25I6.jpg

I think there was a story about lil Nylander playing on the driveway with Hank during his father's tenure at NY.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
xiz25I6.jpg

I think there was a story about lil Nylander playing on the driveway with Hank during his father's tenure at NY.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/henrik-lundqvist-remembers-playing-street-hockey-little-nylander/

“I remember I spent a lot of time with Michael 11-12 years ago and little Nylander he was out on the street playing with his brother and I joined them a couple of times,†Lundqvist recalled. “He was not very big, but you could tell the guys had talent. You could really see it, the way they were moving the puck.â€

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad