Post-Game Talk: Working on up to .500! Jets win 3-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Lots of comments on the NJ forum saying why isn't Larsson who was a number 4 pick a few years ago as good as Trouba who's in his first year

I think four defensemen were taken before Trouba at the 2012 Draft.

This happens all the time at the Draft.

Back in 1990 the Flames selected goaltender Trevor Kidd with pick #11.

Nine picks later, the Devils selected some guy named Martin Brodeur with pick #20.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Leave Scheif where he is...... He is not embarrassing himself and we have no one else to play there (joker blows with kane) ... If he takes a step back then fine we will have to do something.... But man give the kid a season to find his groove. Not like he is gonna cost us a shot at a cup run this year! He has not set the world on fire but is playing responsible hockey with two wingers that think offense first so he has to carry the load on defense and still try to chip in on offense.

Agreed, I see his offense coming around later in year once he is fully comfortable with his defensive and neutral zone assignments.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Let's agree to disagree - I know how rabidly you can defend your positions once you've decided to latch onto someone as a scapegoat. In this instance, it's IMO on both sides. I'll stand behind the decisions of the coaching and management staff and what my eyes tell me - if they decide to keep him up, they obviously feel that they see enough to do so.

If they send him down, so be it - develop away in the AHL. He's still young.

I seem to find a whipping boy every season, this year even to my own surprise it's the young Scheif.;)

Previously:

11-12
Slater: I was plain wrong

Wheeler: Pretty sure it was me who straightened out his game.

Jones: Retired for good

Fehr: Ran him out of town

12-13
Antro: Had him exiled to Russia

Burmi: Sent him back!

Mittens: He's gone! Now he works making cheese

Jokinen: Sip unsuccessful/needs to go

13-14

Jokinen: Needs to go/ work in progress

Scheif> Needs to find his game in the AHL

BizZombie

Jul 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Leave Mark on the second line for a longer time than deciding his fate after 6 games. That sort of impatience will not help him succeed. He is already responsible defensibly and the offense will come soon. Patience has worked so far, and it will work again with Mark.

Kane9Swag

Feb 15, 2013
I expected the Jets to win against the Devils because let's face it, despite having a solid goaltender the Devils suck so we shouldn't be getting too crazy just yet.

It's still early in the season, we need at least 25-30 games played to really get a feel of the Jets and what they could really be.

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
anyone else see when Trouba got the elbo up on Clowe? Man was he fuming looked like he wantedto go with Trouba that must of been scary for a rookie lol

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Leave Mark on the second line for a longer time than deciding his fate after 6 games. That sort of impatience will not help him succeed. He is already responsible defensibly and the offense will come soon. Patience has worked so far, and it will work again with Mark.

Every opportunity that has been placed in front of him, he's taken and run with it. IMHO, he's simply doing what the coach is asking of him - play responsibly. Yesterday, his TOI didn't show a demotion, even if Slater was promoted to handle shutting the game down, and winning draws.

If Noel sticks with KLW and LSF as the top two lines, I see this working well to balance scoring and defense. Ladd and Frolik will most likely provide a more solid defensive play to the wings, while still being dangerous offensively.

We'll see. Unlike some, I feel that 6 games is too early to judge progress. I do like what I see in his game away from the puck, defensively, and in his on ice awareness in distributing the puck. His ability to distribute in difficult situations actually seems to surprise some players, which ends up handcuffing them. Familiarity should help with this.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
You can pretty much say that about all the players in the 1990 draft - it was one of the best ever.

If I remember my Score hockey card set correctly, also had Nolan, Jagr, Primeau, Ricci, Tkachuk, etc etc.

I think four defensemen were taken before Trouba at the 2012 Draft.

This happens all the time at the Draft.

Back in 1990 the Flames selected goaltender Trevor Kidd with pick #11.

Nine picks later, the Devils selected some guy named Martin Brodeur with pick #20.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Every opportunity that has been placed in front of him, he's taken and run with it. IMHO, he's simply doing what the coach is asking of him - play responsibly. Yesterday, his TOI didn't show a demotion, even if Slater was promoted to handle shutting the game down, and winning draws.

If Noel sticks with KLW and LSF as the top two lines, I see this working well to balance scoring and defense. Ladd and Frolik will most likely provide a more solid defensive play to the wings, while still being dangerous offensively.

We'll see. Unlike some, I feel that 6 games is too early to judge progress. I do like what I see in his game away from the puck, defensively, and in his on ice awareness in distributing the puck. His ability to distribute in difficult situations actually seems to surprise some players, which ends up handcuffing them. Familiarity should help with this.
My biggest issue with Scheif so far is his will to battle for the puck.Right now he is playing like he did at his first world juniors tenative and lacking confidence.In his second world juniors he was throwing his body around albeit still taking the majority of the punishment.He needs to get his mindset to that next level without losing his offensive game all the while adding some still much needed muscle.my point being just like Lowry I think Scheif would be best served developing in the ahl for the majority of the year.the only reason he is still up here is because we really have no other options.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

This is what I've noticed as well. He hasn't quite found his game in the offensive zone yet but imo it is really only a matter of time. Some players hit the ground running and others need to adapt.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My biggest issue with Scheif so far is his will to battle for the puck.Right now he is playing like he did at his first world juniors tenative and lacking confidence.In his second world juniors he was throwing his body around albeit still taking the majority of the punishment.He needs to get his mindset to that next level without losing his offensive game all the while adding some still much needed muscle.my point being just like Lowry I think Scheif would be best served developing in the ahl for the majority of the year.the only reason he is still up here is because we really have no other options.

I've seen him throw his body around a few times and he has fought very hard for pucks on a number of occasions as well. Its not yet on a consistent basis but he is a rookie after all. I'd like to see what half this board would have said for guys like Hall and Stamkos's first 20 games in the league. Both looked over matched and very underwhelming. Most of you would have been calling for them to be sent down. Yet by the end of the year both had over 40 points and were looking dangerous. The point is that there is a massive adjustment period and it is not overcome overnight. We are very spoiled to have Trouba doing what he's doing, very few defenseman let alone players come in and do what he does.

Edit:

Heck some of you should go read the Oilers board with regards to Yakupov who has by all accounts been a train wreck both with and without the puck and has seen himself benched because of it. This is a first over all pick that is struggling mightily and should put Scheifele's play in some perspective. He hasn't set the world on fire but unlike Yakupov he has been very reliable. Its this reliability that will allow Mark to develop his offense at his own pace as Noel will keep putting him out there because he can be trusted to take care of his end unlike other offense only players.

Last edited:

BizZombie

Jul 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba

You and I are in full agreement here.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Just saw the game. Lots to like. A few things that need some work though. My thoughts...

-I think we match up well against NJ. Really took it to them physically for the most part and skated circles around them once or twice.

-Montoya-Good, dependable, solid. Wasn't tested too much I didn't think but was good when needed. Couldn't ask for more out of your backup.

-That is how our top 4 should look with Buff-Enstrom-Bogo-Trouba.

-Enstrom was quietly solid for most of the night. A few miscues. Needs to pull the trigger a little more though. There was one point where he didn't and I think we ended up losing possession. But like in the 3rd when he had that great opportunity and put a low slapper at the goalies pads as two Jets came in for a rebound, he has a good, accurate shot, and it tends to generate scoring chances as he is so good at getting it through. Was up against the Zubrus-Elias-Jagr line all night so it's understandable he might struggle against those two big strong wingers. Even the strongest defensemen struggle handling Jagr.

-Buff was good. Made some really nice plays and was physical. Loved that big hit. He might be the best defenseman in the league at poke checking the puck off of a forwards stick right before they come in the zone. Does it once or twice every game and completely stifles the rush.

-Bogo-What? You played physical and had your best game of the year? Go figure! :laugh: Keep it up.

-Trouba- He doesn't look like he belongs at all. He looks like a top pairing defenseman. So smart at when to take the puck up the ice. Has an elite sense to make the right read and timing when to do that. Good on the PK as well, again. :nod:

-Stuart-Liked him tonight. Was solid for the most part and had a couple of key blocks.

-Postma-meh...

-Slater- Best, monster, hard worker, etc. You get the picture. Exactly what you want out of a 4th line center and then some last night.

-Wright-Like him in his role now. Good on the 4th line and pk. It plays to his strengths very well.

-Kane-Great game for the most part. Skated circles around the NJ defense. Not the first time either.

-Jokinen-Really like him as our 3rd line center. Suits him well and liked the unselfish play for the empty netter.

-Scheif-Struggling a bit right now. I'm sure he'll find a groove at some point.

-Frolik didn't show too much. Did a lot of the little things well and was nice to see him end up with 2 points at the end. Liking him on our 3rd line.

-Little-Similar to Frolik. Did the little things well.

-Wheeler-You play like a cloud bro. You have half a foot on Little and he's stronger on the boards then you. I mean geezz. This is why I've always like Little more the Wheeler because even when Little isn't scoring, he's doing the little things well either way. Wheeler, not so much. Will be so glad when he gets going.

-Ladd-Similar to Frolik and Little. Nice to see him get a goal.

-Tangradi-Like him being a physical presence. Adds something else to the 3rd line that doesn't otherwise have it.

-Halischuk-Not really getting any ice time but seems solid when he's out there. Not a liability to say the least.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

This is what is so good about adding Seto and Frolik. It helps to balance our lines and allows us to move guys around and still be solid. Hope Frolik stays for awhile as he's a very good addition.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Bingo. Our "other options" are...
  • Albert or Cormier in St. John's; You've got to be kidding. O'Dell is a prospect for next year and a possible injury call-up this year, but I don't see him currently being as good as, let alone better than Scheifele.
  • Wright; :help:
  • Trading for a centre; We have a bit over $2.5 million in cap space.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Jeesh you guys on here are hilarious, yesterday buff was being traded, Noel was fired and the team sucked... We win 1 game (barely) against a sub par team at home and your singing their praises. Bottom line is there need to be significant changes to attitude, level of competivenesss and overall team identity before we will be anything other then a sub par team. I don't think the montreal game will be pretty. Lets see how everyone feels once we play a top teir team. Lets see where we're at 48 games in and if the problem is coaching or lies with the composition of the core personnel of the team and their leadership. I want to go to the rink and know that the visiting team is afraid of what's in store for them physically when they enter our barn day in and day out. I want guys like Buff to have games like today day in and day out.

As one of the loudest rowdiest rinks in the league after 3 years we deserve a hint of this by now..so far it's the same old horse and pony show as the first 2 seasons..expectations are different ( not expecting the cup) and we deserve it....

Most of us are very well aware of the chronic problems with this team and have given them a very short rope this year. It was pretty evident even in our 2 wins that the Jets have a long way to come in terms of what it takes to impose our will physically on a team night in and night out. Most of the guys here know that it could very well be back to the same old story tomorrow night.

However, we are fans and when our team plays the way we want them to, we want, and should sing their praises. We should take every opportunity we can to savour the good things, the good plays, and the good games we witness. If we don't we will be a bunch of sour critical bitter people and is that the point of watching sports and being passionate about a team? I sure hope not.

So, you can grumble aloud about the smoke and mirrors all you want. I, for one, will relish in the fact that the team outhit Jersey 31-18, out shot them, out goaltended them, and killed off every powerplay the Devils had. I will think about how silky smooth Trouba looked, how physically dominant Bogosian was and how emotionally invested he is in the team, and how Byfuglien plays when he decides he will grab a game by the throat.

There were very few passengers last night. True, it could be the same old same old tomorrow night when the rouge, bleu et blanc roll in but my hope is once again, cautiously, renewed.

Why? I love the Jets.

bazaaa*

Barely won, but team played 10x better. Hard to really judge the game when you're playing NJ though. But the energy was there, they were physical, which was great to see.
Still need more quality scoring chances though, just wasn't enough.

Montoya looked fairly good, but he had a lot of luck on his side. He was out of position numerous times. He had no idea where the puck was numerous times, but luckily was blocked or missed the net. not complaining though, he did a good job.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
So, you can grumble aloud about the smoke and mirrors all you want. I, for one, will relish in the fact that the team outhit Jersey 31-18, out shot them, out goaltended them, and killed off every powerplay the Devils had. I will think about how silky smooth Trouba looked, how physically dominant Bogosian was and how emotionally invested he is in the team, and how Byfuglien plays when he decides he will grab a game by the throat.

There were very few passengers last night. True, it could be the same old same old tomorrow night when the rouge, bleu et blanc roll in but my hope is once again, cautiously, renewed.

Why? I love the Jets.

Sniff. Such a good post - of course, it mirrors my thinking, so... ;)

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I seem to find a whipping boy every season, this year even to my own surprise it's the young Scheif.;)

Previously:

11-12
Slater: I was plain wrong

Wheeler: Pretty sure it was me who straightened out his game.

Jones: Retired for good

Fehr: Ran him out of town

12-13
Antro: Had him exiled to Russia

Burmi: Sent him back!

Mittens: He's gone! Now he works making cheese

Jokinen: Sip unsuccessful/needs to go

13-14

Jokinen: Needs to go/ work in progress

Scheif> Needs to find his game in the AHL

I laughed out loud, HARD at the bolded part.
Now everyone is glaring at me, thanks jerk.

Whole post is pretty funny.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think people just need to give Scheifele some time. He is struggling a bit, but he is playing a responsible game. Its not like we have many other options at center. IMO as the year goes on we will see more and more from him.

Trouba's game as a 19 year old almost defies description. We are witnessing the birth of a true franchise player. Despite Bogo having to play on his off side, he and Trouba are a nice fit. Bogo seems to have a way with the kids coming up.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I like to read other team's GDTs when they play the Jets to see what they are saying about their team and what they are saying about the Jets. Man, am I ever glad I'm not a NJ fan. Those guys aren't very fun to be around.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I like to read other team's GDTs when they play the Jets to see what they are saying about their team and what they are saying about the Jets. Man, am I ever glad I'm not a NJ fan. Those guys aren't very fun to be around.

Losing so much would be really tough to take especially for a team that has had a history like they have had. Buffalo would also be a tough board to hang out on right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad