Post-Game Talk: Working on up to .500! Jets win 3-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Watching the Al Montoya interview I get the sense he's both a great pro and team mate.

If you get a chance watch it on the Jets sight, says all the right things and comes off real genuine.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
4ogd.jpg

Had to share this one from NHL.com

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Jeesh you guys on here are hilarious, yesterday buff was being traded, Noel was fired and the team sucked... We win 1 game (barely) against a sub par team at home and your singing their praises. Bottom line is there need to be significant changes to attitude, level of competivenesss and overall team identity before we will be anything other then a sub par team. (....)

As one of the loudest rowdiest rinks in the league after 3 years we deserve a hint of this by now..so far it's the same old horse and pony show as the first 2 seasons..expectations are different ( not expecting the cup) and we deserve it....

You can enjoy a win, while still keeping the deficiencies of a team in the back of your mind. The two aren't mutually exclusive, and having some "joy in joyville" every now and again is good for the soul. Give it a try!

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
PS Thought Scheif looked good in the first game against the Oilers, he hasn't looked good since, 0 points in last 4 games, add that to a poor camp and all indications are that he is not ready. Sad but true. On the plus side, has a good shot, has good vision and seems to understand the game.

Let's agree to disagree - I know how rabidly you can defend your positions once you've decided to latch onto someone as a scapegoat. In this instance, it's IMO on both sides. I'll stand behind the decisions of the coaching and management staff and what my eyes tell me - if they decide to keep him up, they obviously feel that they see enough to do so.

If they send him down, so be it - develop away in the AHL. He's still young.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I take some positives from last night because of the way the team had played the previous 3 games, and because last night was a classic opportunity for the Jets to play down to an opponent as has become their habit over the past couple seasons but they didn't. Yeah, Jersey is a bad team, but if the Jets bring the same intensity and work effort to all their games they'll at least be a challenge to play against as opposed to the bumbling keystone cops they were in the 3 losses prior to last night.

Don't worry boo birds, Noel is still on the hotseat. But I will enjoy every win I can...

RonJon

May 18, 2011
Jeesh you guys on here are hilarious, yesterday buff was being traded, Noel was fired and the team sucked... We win 1 game (barely) against a sub par team at home and your singing their praises. Bottom line is there need to be significant changes to attitude, level of competivenesss and overall team identity before we will be anything other then a sub par team. I don't think the montreal game will be pretty. Lets see how everyone feels once we play a top teir team. Lets see where we're at 48 games in and if the problem is coaching or lies with the composition of the core personnel of the team and their leadership. I want to go to the rink and know that the visiting team is afraid of what's in store for them physically when they enter our barn day in and day out. I want guys like Buff to have games like today day in and day out.

As one of the loudest rowdiest rinks in the league after 3 years we deserve a hint of this by now..so far it's the same old horse and pony show as the first 2 seasons..expectations are different ( not expecting the cup) and we deserve it....

Bro someone steal your Turkey? If you can't handle Bi-Polar behaviour this may not be the place to hang out :laugh:.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Lots of comments on the NJ forum saying why isn't Larsson who was a number 4 pick a few years ago as good as Trouba who's in his first year

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
Nice win brought on by the type of effort they need consistently. That was the first real game of hockey the Jets have played in over a week. It will be good to see the Jets play this way against a much-better Habs team and see where we stand.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
1. NHL ready, physically strong enough to play against men, be able to skate at an NHL level and keep up with the play, be able to battle along the boards and win puck battles without consistently falling down, having enough strength and technique to stay balanced,be able to win FO's at least 50% (he's at 38% through 5 games) be able to win open ice puck battles and not to be consistently stripped of the puck...

2. His speed is not fine, he can get up to almost NHL speed from the red line to the opposing net without contact but then he is stuck there if the play comes back the other way, his accleration and first couple of steps are poor. At times he looks like he's skating on cement.

3. Not sure what your watching, again not sure what your watching, not making plays, not in position to make plays, long way to go, sure he's a rookie----a rookie NOT NHL ready. IMO

PS Thought Scheif looked good in the first game against the Oilers, he hasn't looked good since, 0 points in last 4 games, add that to a poor camp and all indications are that he is not ready. Sad but true. On the plus side, has a good shot, has good vision and seems to understand the game.

I guess Nathan Mckinnion gets sent down as well, he's a whopping 23% in the draw so far.

Scheifele has been more than fine defensively, being on the ice for only 1 GA so far this year. He is also one of the best at transitioning the puck out of our end zone.

He makes numerous short smart passes while under pressure which shows me that he is reading and reacting to the play at NHL speeds.

He also gets to where he needs to on ice ahead of the play more often than not which leads me to believe that his skating is fine. Is it amazing, no but not everyone is a speed demon.

I will give you that he still needs to put on muscle as it will help him when more battles but he isn't losing all of them as you said.

He also is probably the best player at drawing penalties on the team so far and that is largely due to him winning those board battles that you claim he doesn't win.

Even if he goes to the AHL and dominates offensively, he is still going to have to come up and play defense first hockey in Noel's system. Since he is already holding his own in that regards I see no reason to send him down unless his decision making really starts to deteriorate.

Looking more and more at Noel's system it doesn't look like it leads to much offense coming from the center of the ice as the center is almost always down low in the dzone and is always covering against the counter attack offensively.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Lots of comments on the NJ forum saying why isn't Larsson who was a number 4 pick a few years ago as good as Trouba who's in his first year

Larsson can't skate. It's sad how much he has regressed, don't believe he was ever a great skater to begin with, but now he looks like Mark Stuart without the physicality.

Trouba came so, so close to embarrassing him last night, nearly blew by him like Kane did twice.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
For those of you watching 'That's Hockey 2 Nite' on TSN, there is a shot of Buff sitting on the bench cackling (shown after his hit on Harrold). It must be turned into an animated 'You Mad Bro?' .gif. Someone make this happen.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I would like more comments on how Scheifele has been playing?

I knew the current negativity towards Scheifele was going to happen as soon as he was placed in a position to fail by throwing him on the second line.

Switch 12 and 55 and let Mark get solid NHL minutes on a more sheltered line. He is a better 3C option then anything the Jets currently have available.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I guess Nathan Mckinnion gets sent down as well, he's a whopping 23% in the draw so far.

Scheifele has been more than fine defensively, being on the ice for only 1 GA so far this year. He is also one of the best at transitioning the puck out of our end zone.

He makes numerous short smart passes while under pressure which shows me that he is reading and reacting to the play at NHL speeds.

He also gets to where he needs to on ice ahead of the play more often than not which leads me to believe that his skating is fine. Is it amazing, no but not everyone is a speed demon.

I will give you that he still needs to put on muscle as it will help him when more battles but he isn't losing all of them as you said.

He also is probably the best player at drawing penalties on the team so far and that is largely due to him winning those board battles that you claim he doesn't win.

Even if he goes to the AHL and dominates offensively, he is still going to have to come up and play defense first hockey in Noel's system. Since he is already holding his own in that regards I see no reason to send him down unless his decision making really starts to deteriorate.

Looking more and more at Noel's system it doesn't look like it leads to much offense coming from the center of the ice as the center is almost always down low in the dzone and is always covering against the counter attack offensively.

It's just bipolar HFJets talking.

One week he is the second coming of Christ the next week he is a AHL scrub.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I knew the current negativity towards Scheifele was going to happen as soon as he was placed in a position to fail by throwing him on the second line.

Switch 12 and 55 and let Mark get solid NHL minutes on a more sheltered line. He is a better 3C option then anything the Jets currently have available.

Man, the coach can't win. Earlier on the fans were clamoring for Scheifele to be put on the second line and 'given a chance' because he's much better than Jokinen. He should automatically supplant him. Coach would be dumb not to.

Now he's put on the second line, and this is viewed as 'being set up to fail'. People have to make up their minds as to whether he's being 'set up to fail' or 'given a chance to succeed'.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Leave Scheif where he is...... He is not embarrassing himself and we have no one else to play there (joker blows with kane) ... If he takes a step back then fine we will have to do something.... But man give the kid a season to find his groove. Not like he is gonna cost us a shot at a cup run this year! He has not set the world on fire but is playing responsible hockey with two wingers that think offense first so he has to carry the load on defense and still try to chip in on offense.

Last edited:

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Man, the coach can't win. Earlier on the fans were clamoring for Scheifele to be put on the second line and 'given a chance' because he's much better than Jokinen. He should automatically supplant him. Coach would be dumb not to.

Now he's put on the second line, and this is viewed as 'being set up to fail'. People have to make up their minds as to whether he's being 'set up to fail' or 'given a chance to succeed'.

I have argued against Scheif being the 2C since the beginning of the season
This isn't a knock against Noel. He made the decision to play him as 2C based on performance and now hopefully he will move him to 3C based on the same criteria.

He can be given a chance to succeed on the third line as well. I half believe that people wanted him on the 2nd line so bad because they are hoping he ends up a Calder winner. The odds of him winning it on the third line are much lower.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Not unfair in the snap shot of a moment, Larsson struggled at times last night with Kane's pace but who didn't. Trouba is a freak of nature with how he thinks the game for a teenager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad