Post-Game Talk: Working on up to .500! Jets win 3-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
@ #48 Except for Bogo

Hindsight, it was a good game plan
3mnu.png

Is that Jim Toth, or his brother Fidel?

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Steady, not great IMO. Slater took his place for most of the 3rd period for faceoffs and defence.

Scheifele sets up a lot of sneaky stuff around the net but doesn't seem to have enough chemistry with any wingers yet to pot those setups.

Agreed. A more physical forecheck would help too. Right now it's all with the stick.

He has a lot of plays where you say "if so-and-so was at that spot, that's a goal every time" problem is so-and-so is rarely at the spot scheif thinks they will be.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
We barely beat one of the leagues worst teams. Don't worry, Noel will still get canned.

IMHO at 1-0 that score flattered the Devils; Schneider kept them in the game and the score could have been 2-0 or 3-0 by the middle of the third. But you keep on rocking that great attitude and spreading joy as usual. Love you bro!

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
IMHO at 1-0 that score flattered the Devils; Schneider kept them in the game and the score could have been 2-0 or 3-0 by the middle of the third. But you keep on rocking that great attitude and spreading joy as usual. Love you bro!

I think so too, although only a little bit. We had a lot of scoring chances (break aways, scrambles in front etc) but often missed the net or put it in Cory's chest.

I agree that we totally outplayed them though. That game wasn't as close as the score showed.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I would like more comments on how Scheifele has been playing?

Playing just like a guy not ready for the NHL, skating not near NHL level, usually behind the play and linemates, sadly Jets org. Has no other NHL ready centres. IMO Jet's gambled on the 2C spot, jokinen too crappy now, Schief's not ready.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A very strong effort by everyone tonight. Schneider kept the game close.

The Jets top 4 D were just fantastic - aggressive and physical (except Enstrom). They had much tighter control of space in all zones due to their aggressive play. Buff was very strong and physical. Trouba was great again. It's only 6 games into his rookie season and you can already see that he has franchise player written all over him. That is not hyperbole. I really liked Bogo's game. He's a true leader out there. He is riding shotgun for Trouba in all ways, and they genuinely seem to like each other.

The forwards were much more aggressive in all zones. Frolik was terrific. He's such a smart and effective player. Kane was flying and made some nice plays. Little and Slater were very strong up the middle. Ladd had a stronger game. Wheeler still seems a bit out of sorts. Scheifele still shows good hockey sense, but he needs to develop more physically in all respects. He can't play a heavy game, and doesn't have the speed to excel in other ways. I think he still belongs on the Jets, but we should temper our expectations about his early success.

I saw Engblom make a very astute comment in the post-game show (I really like his analysis). He mentioned that it wasn't just that Montoya was making the initial save, but how he was making it. His control of the puck after a shot was very solid. He had great rebound control and anticipation of the play after the shot. Sometimes I find that Pavs is just not very good at controlling things after the first save. Montoya's puck handling also helps the D. Bogo mentioned this after the game. I hope we see more of Montoya.

Postma is still really struggling. Clitsome was so shaky that they had to pull him out of the lineup. The Jets have some serious issues with their 4th D pairing. I wonder how Zach Redmond is performing in the AHL.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Just wanted to say sorry for totally blanking on the game thread.

Ended up going up to my cousins cabin at the last minute friday night, got home this afternoon, wasn't even thinking about it.

Sorry guys!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I am one of the biggest Scheif supporters but he is not ready yet he needs some time in the AHL. He is trying to focus on defence so much that he is not even involved in the play most of the time.he has no intensity to his game right now and he looses just about every puck battle he engages in.Before he looses the little confidence he has left he needs to go down the biggest problem is we have no one to replace him.

I would give him till game 20, he hasn't been a liability at all defensively and still does some good things with the puck. I think people need to realize that its a big adjustment from junior to the NHL and unlike Trouba he doesn't have the physical gifts to dominate right away so he's still trying to feel his way in. If he's still lagging a bit behind around game 20 then you entertain sending him down.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Playing just like a guy not ready for the NHL, skating not near NHL level, usually behind the play and linemates, sadly Jets org. Has no other NHL ready centres. IMO Jet's gambled on the 2C spot, jokinen too crappy now, Schief's not ready.

To your points:

1. Disagree - what does "NHL ready" entail, BTW? For me, it starts with defensive responsibility - he's not a liability in that area, and his offensive touch will be needed.
2. Disagree - not sure what you're watching. His speed is fine. Has been for a while.
3. Disagree - again, not sure what you're watching, unless you've decided that he's your new target.

Does he need to improve? Yes. He's a rookie - surprise.

And, in my opinion, Jokinen is looking better this year (which admittedly isn't saying much).

BizZombie

Jul 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yes son, it was way back in '13 that we all saw the greatness that is Jacob Trouba. He wasn't fully growed up back then, son, but when he grew into his man strength, he was a good 'un. He was hittin' and shootin' and scorin' like no other. I saw me some Orr and young Jake had more hittin' to go with the spinnin'.

Kindly Coach Claude played the lad a real man's minutes against some great 'uns. And Coach Claude played the lad in all sityee-ations too. Coach Claude just popped in a candy and sent out our Jacob. That was only the start of the legend that was young Jake. The Troubadour played him some sweet music. Yes son, we saw true greatness.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
was at the game. second Wpg home game i've been to for v2.0, fifth Jets game i've been to in all for v2.0.

1st half of the game was boring. second half was much better.

most impressive player? Buff. by far. Trouba was a close 2nd except for his one gaffe. and Bogo had a really great game as well.

most impressive thing i saw? after empty net goal, the Jets put their foot on the Devils' throats and played one minute of hard-butt hockey and scored again. THAT'S what's been missing from the Jets for the past 2 years and was a great sign.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
A very strong effort by everyone tonight. Schneider kept the game close.
That's all well and fine, but remember that the NJD team we beat is one of only 2 teams in the league not to have won a game so far this season. Buffalo is the other. The Jets will have to step it up another level against the Habs on Tuesday.

Puckschmuck*

But you were clamoring last year how you wanted TN to bring these boys into the team so inject some new blood into the system.

You flip-floppin bro.

No Name Poster

Maurice Navidad
Oct 29, 2011
The Peg
Good game but I would not start planning the parade yet, the Devils are a garbage team.

With such a cool avatar Id think you'd be more positive.

Really liked the entire teams game tonight. Postma still looks shaky under pressure. He could learn a lot from watching Trouba.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
To your points:

1. Disagree - what does "NHL ready" entail, BTW? For me, it starts with defensive responsibility - he's not a liability in that area, and his offensive touch will be needed.
2. Disagree - not sure what you're watching. His speed is fine. Has been for a while.
3. Disagree - again, not sure what you're watching, unless you've decided that he's your new target.

And, in my opinion, Jokinen is looking better this year (which admittedly isn't saying much).

To add, his skills are NHL-ready, he's still developing. I don't see a whole lot of benefit to having him play in the AHL, other than to develop bad habits and adjust to a slower, sloppier game. He's not a guy like Kadri who actually had to develop a pro-style game and body.

No Name Poster

Maurice Navidad
Oct 29, 2011
The Peg
To your points:

I agree with all of your disagreeing

R3DDRAG0N

Beaver Mafia
Aug 25, 2013
Winnipeg
Jeesh you guys on here are hilarious, yesterday buff was being traded, Noel was fired and the team sucked... We win 1 game (barely) against a sub par team at home and your singing their praises. Bottom line is there need to be significant changes to attitude, level of competivenesss and overall team identity before we will be anything other then a sub par team. I don't think the montreal game will be pretty. Lets see how everyone feels once we play a top teir team. Lets see where we're at 48 games in and if the problem is coaching or lies with the composition of the core personnel of the team and their leadership. I want to go to the rink and know that the visiting team is afraid of what's in store for them physically when they enter our barn day in and day out. I want guys like Buff to have games like today day in and day out.

As one of the loudest rowdiest rinks in the league after 3 years we deserve a hint of this by now..so far it's the same old horse and pony show as the first 2 seasons..expectations are different ( not expecting the cup) and we deserve it....

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Postma is still really struggling. Clitsome was so shaky that they had to pull him out of the lineup. The Jets have some serious issues with their 4th D pairing. I wonder how Zach Redmond is performing in the AHL.
He isn't playing. He is out hurt and I think I heard he'd be out a while.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Anyone else concerned Trouba is being over played.

You always hear about how rookies struggle late in the year physically because they aren't accustom to the length of a season.
I think if we continue to play Trouba like we are he'll wear down when (hopefully) we'll need him most.
I know he's been great. I'm one of his biggest fans, but I want him to be great all year.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
To your points:

1. NHL ready, physically strong enough to play against men, be able to skate at an NHL level and keep up with the play, be able to battle along the boards and win puck battles without consistently falling down, having enough strength and technique to stay balanced,be able to win FO's at least 50% (he's at 38% through 5 games) be able to win open ice puck battles and not to be consistently stripped of the puck...

2. His speed is not fine, he can get up to almost NHL speed from the red line to the opposing net without contact but then he is stuck there if the play comes back the other way, his accleration and first couple of steps are poor. At times he looks like he's skating on cement.

3. Not sure what your watching, again not sure what your watching, not making plays, not in position to make plays, long way to go, sure he's a rookie----a rookie NOT NHL ready. IMO

PS Thought Scheif looked good in the first game against the Oilers, he hasn't looked good since, 0 points in last 4 games, add that to a poor camp and all indications are that he is not ready. Sad but true. On the plus side, has a good shot, has good vision and seems to understand the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad