Seravalli: Wonders if the Leafs will; buy out Brodie

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Brodie really struggles against faster teams. He was totally exposed against the Panthers forecheck

He's too slow to carry the puck out and that was an issue for our forwards. They would never get a clean breakout from our D on the carry

Not to mention him giving up 2 on 1 atheist twice per games. Him and Gio were horrible. But atleist gio costs us 850k

If there's an option to buy him and upgrade on D then I say do it

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
He was for first few years and that's all the fans remember him for

He's been on decline. His decision making has been absolutely mind boggling sometimes

McCabe has made him redundant. McCabe isn't very good but can be physical and move the puck. Schenn was a hitting machine
He was bad in the playoffs but you could argue he was their best defensive D throughout the season. Unless they think he fell off a cliff and wasnt banged up for the playoffs.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
They wouldn't it's stupid.

But saying they have 2 legitimate top 4 D is also wrong.

Jake McCabe is a top 4 D.

He might be a #4 but he's still top 4

I see him as more of a fringe #4/5 who can step into the top 4 if needed but you’d rather he be on the bottom pairing. Kind of on the level of a guy like Brett Kulak. Not a legit top 4 guy.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
He was bad in the playoffs but you could argue he was their best defensive D throughout the season. Unless they think he fell off a cliff and wasnt banged up for the playoffs.
He wasn't our best D. When you play 15 games per year against teams like Ottawa, Montreal, Buffalo you look better, not good

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
B y $3-4 million... so why spend most of that on a buyout... when that player will have an expired contract then?
The whole idea would be to save 5 millions this year when the cap is up only by 1, then pay 2,5 millions when the cap is up by 4-5 millions.

Maybe Treilving wants to acquire something else at D. A big move or 2?

He did not like the D core, said so. Said it needed improvement instead of changing the core 4. Needs money for that.

Reactions: fahad203

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
B y $3-4 million... so why spend most of that on a buyout... when that player will have an expired contract then?
Isn't his buyout a special case ? Maybe they want to fit Karlsson. Which will make me get drunk for one reason or another

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
If anything, the old dubas method of trade down to get rid of a contract should be in play.

Trade 1st, murray and or brodie, to either play or be bought out, in exchange for a mid 2nd.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't really see why they'd consider this. The novelty of a "free" buyout in year one is funny...but if Brodie were bought out, he'd immediately become probably the 2nd best defenceman on the market, behind $8M Orlov.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The whole idea would be to save 5 millions this year when the cap is up only by 1, then pay 2,5 millions when the cap is up by 4-5 millions.

Maybe Treilving wants to acquire something else at D. A big move or 2?

He did not like the D core, said so.
How are you going to spend that extra $5 million this year? On a one year contract? For who exactly?

The Cap is set to go up $3-4 mil next year... so it goes up by $3 mil. Matthews, Nylander, Liljegren need raises. The math doesn't work.

You can make changes without buying out your best defensive D... this makes zero sense.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Isn't his buyout a special case ? Maybe they want to fit Karlsson. Which will make me get drunk for one reason or another
I hope we don't get Karlsson we need defensive d-man. The costs alone to get that guy would make no sense for Treliving. I believe he might make a trade to Flames and possibly minor deals. He just came as GM don't see him going over the top for certain players

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If this was a serious consideration and Treliving felt like they could replace him internally (they couldn't), why not retain 50 % and ship him out for good assets? That would seem like a no-brainer compared to any buyout: they save 1.25 million of real money and presumably get some decent assets back in a trade. Unless they're planning on splashing the cash on some UFA this summer, it would also make more sense to absorb the 2.5 of dead cap now rather than in a year's time.

I guess that 7.5 million of salary for next year is a major turn-off for some suitors, though.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
If this was a serious consideration and Treliving felt like they could replace him internally (they couldn't), why not retain 50 % and ship him out for good assets? That would seem like a no-brainer compared to any buyout: they save 1.25 million of real money and presumably get some decent assets back in a trade. Unless they're planning on splashing the cash on some UFA this summer, it would also make more sense to absorb the 2.5 of dead cap now rather than in a year's time.
Most probable thing may be they want Dumba

Triev did say he wants to upgrade on D. And trust me that would be an upgrade

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
How are you going to spend that extra $5 million this year? On a one year contract? For who exactly?

The Cap is set to go up $3-4 mil next year... so it goes up by $3 mil. Matthews, Nylander, Liljegren need raises. The math doesn't work.

You can make changes without buying out your best defensive D... this makes zero sense.
Didn't say it was THE move to make, but can't deny that if they feel they want to upgrade that D (via trade let's say for a Pesce, a Dumba or a Hanifin) they'll need to move salary THIS summer, not the next.

Don't think Carolina, Minny or Calgary would take Brodie's salary in a Pesce/Hanifin/Dumba trade, and maybe Brodie refuses to move... So there is the buyout option.

You figure things for next year in the next offseason, not now.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Exactly what I thought. This is baseless garbage

It's here:

He is obviously just speculating, rather than reporting actual information (not that this thread suggested he was doing anything different).

The tl;dr is that he's saying its an option because of the $0 penalty this upcoming season, and $2.5m penalty the year after when the cap goes up. He talked earlier in the video about several teams trying to just "get by" this season.

But regardless it doesn't make any sense. It ignores that Brodie is a useful player at his cap hit and would need to be replaced and it ignores that next season is when the Leafs are going to be stretched the thinnest.

Reactions: Dog
Aug 3, 2021
I don't think a buyout will be necessary. There's enough bad GM's in the league to the point where someone will probably want to acquire him.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

He was the best defensive defenseman until this year, then suddenly this year dropped a lot, no idea why though.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
This just sounds like an insider saying whatever comes to mind.

No way is Brodie getting bought out. That's ridiculous. :laugh:

Reactions: Dog

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He was the best defensive defenseman until this year, then suddenly this year dropped a lot, no idea why though.

He was the best defensive defenseman this year.... until the second round... no idea why though.... Injury? Worn out? Even then.. he wasn't that bad. The idea that he's baked and needs to be moved seems rash though.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Makes no sense to buy him out, he's still a fine D-man. Why take a cap penalty next year ? It's not a OEL type of situation, he's a solid player.

This just sounds like an insider saying whatever comes to mind.

No way is Brodie getting bought out. That's ridiculous. :laugh:
It's Seravalli, he says the dumbest shit Leaf related just to get clicks

Reactions: Eternal Leaf

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I don't think Lilly is going to be here.

I have thought from the moment it was reported Hanifin was available that he would be Treliving target, seeing as he had him in Calgary and that Lilly would be part of a package.

GM's ALWAYS bring somebody over from their former team.

I think Treliving wants Hanifin.

I could also see Toffoli since there is a hole at LW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad