Whitehorse, YT
Would make more sense to do this instead

To :hawks
28th overall

To team that is not on Brodie NTC list
D TJ Brodie (50% retained by Hawks)

To :leafs
Asset or assets team acquiring Brodie gives up

Hawks get 1st, Leafs clear $5M in cap and get some asset (Likely pick or picks) and ? team gets top 4 vet RD at $2.5M cap hit

-- I assume Brodie would block trade to Chicago thus the 3rd team --
No, why would they give up the first when a buy out would only cost them half the cost and nothing this year.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
old spray n pray Seravalli at it again

D9645CF0E1FD8548852F74C17BA30A5E05E0C646

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
That's a pretty wild buyout structure but I'd be shocked if a team on the cusp with money available wouldn't take him for free if this is really where they're at. He was horrendous in the playoffs but has been steady for 3 years. Buffalo makes sense they could use a stay at home D and have over 16 million to play with
This has Vegas written all over it.

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
I have no idea how we have got to this point in the media. It would be a braindead decision.

Brodie is the 2nd best defenseman on the Leafs currently. He is underpaid for what he provides. He expires after this season. The team isn't crunched for cap this year.. at all.

His value is (or should be) way closer to the Leafs getting a 1st+ back rather than being buyout worthy.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Seems like bad idea for the Leafs. Let's either hang on to the pick or trade it for better pick. Not get rid of it and Brodie actually plays defense why get rid of him? Sighs, when will they ever learn.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The classic Leaf solution to a defensive problem is get rid of their best defensive defenseman for cap space for moar offense. This is obviously taxes fault.
Brodie was their best defensive defenseman, just not sure what happened to that player in the second half and playoffs last year.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That's a pretty wild buyout structure but I'd be shocked if a team on the cusp with money available wouldn't take him for free if this is really where they're at. He was horrendous in the playoffs but has been steady for 3 years. Buffalo makes sense they could use a stay at home D and have over 16 million to play with

I doubt anything comes of this.

The Leafs aren't rebuilding.

The classic Leaf solution to a defensive problem is get rid of their best defensive defenseman for cap space for moar offense. This is obviously taxes fault.

I mean they do need more offense because it went dry against Florida but this is not how they make the space to get it.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Would make more sense to do this instead

To :hawks
28th overall

To team that is not on Brodie NTC list
D TJ Brodie (50% retained by Hawks)

To :leafs
Asset or assets team acquiring Brodie gives up

Hawks get 1st, Leafs clear $5M in cap and get some asset (Likely pick or picks) and ? team gets top 4 vet RD at $2.5M cap hit

-- I assume Brodie would block trade to Chicago thus the 3rd team --
I say Hawks take him for free and flip him instead

Ledge And Dairy

on the surface it seems down right stupid.

But he said it's a 0$ cap charge for this year and 2.5 next year, I'm not sure why but sure enough it is in fact a free buyout this year there is no charge.

does anyone know why that is?
Because of how the pay is structured, since he is paid 7.5M this year you multiple that by 2/3, which is 5M. Divide that by 2 and spread it across 2 years (2.5M each). Determine how much is saved by subtracting the 2.5M from his total salary which is 7.5M, so 7.5-2.5=5. Then determine the cap hit by subtracting savings from the AAV, so 5-5=0.

For year 2 repeat the last 2 steps except replace the total salary for that year with zero and the AAV also with zero, so 0-2.5= -2.5. Then 0- (-2.5)= 2.5, thus a cap hit of 2.5M.

Toronto shouldn't buy him out though, he's been for the most part an absolute stud defensively

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I'm not 100% sure on the details here, but one of the reason Brodie signed with Toronto was that his gf / wife has MS and was able to get the best possible treatment in Toronto, and/or her family is from the area. If he's bought out I'd guess he signs a deal for a team in the area or retires.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
I have no idea how we have got to this point in the media. It would be a braindead decision.

Brodie is the 2nd best defenseman on the Leafs currently. He is underpaid for what he provides. He expires after this season. The team isn't crunched for cap this year.. at all.

His value is (or should be) way closer to the Leafs getting a 1st+ back rather than being buyout worthy.

Aaaaand that's your problem right there

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If the Leafs are that desperate to get rid of him, just trade him to Chicago for a pick or something. They have the cap space and need competent D. Why pay him not to play?

Even if they were open to trading him, and they might very well be, Treliving has said he wants to reshape the defense.

Why would he waive for Chicago and please do not just say "Bedard"

That's a fantastic piece but that's not enough

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
that doesn't make any sense to me. Even if they want to get rid of him, i don't think his contract is prohibitive to be dealt. He might not fetch much in return, but he wouldn't need to be bought out.

Reactions: Doubledose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad