Seravalli: Wonders if the Leafs will; buy out Brodie

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Actually I am going to ask for a source I see nothing on his twitter. This seems like a radio'd situation and a game of telephone through social media

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Brodie was terrible in the playoffs for Leafs this year. His play has been on the decline

For someone making his money he has very limited offensive production

Luke Schenn has more points than Brodie this year and led the league in hits. I think the leafs would want to focus on him

Bodies game has been highly overrated

Reactions: Glacious

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
They do not have the money and currently don't have a need for a top 4 D, if anything they want to move Martinez and resign Barbashev
I think they intend to move Martinez and/or McNabb. I don't think there's a way they can resign Barb. He's going to get in the 5.25.5.75 range and the team can ill-afford another high priced forward with MArchessault, Stevenson and Carrier all one year away from FA.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Brodie was terrible in the playoffs for Leafs this year. His play has been on the decline

For someone making his money he has very limited offensive production

Luke Schenn has more points than Brodie this year and led the league in hits. I think the leafs would want to focus on him

Bodies game has been highly overrated

Brodie was not signed for his offense if that's what you expected that's your fault

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Even if they were open to trading him, and they might very well be, Treliving has said he wants to reshape the defense.

Why would he waive for Chicago and please do not just say "Bedard"

That's a fantastic piece but that's not enough
My bad, I thought he only had no trade protection in his final year. I see now, I had it backwards, he has a full NTC until his final year, then an M-NTC.

I agree, he has no reason to waive for Chicago.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Reading this thread, it definitely sounds like the Leafs should buy him out. Him and Murray both. Go shopping with around $9M extra dollars for that last Hail Mary.

And who cares about the 2024 Cap. Leafs will have TONS of Cap space next summer when the Cap goes up by like $7M and Matthews and Nylander walk away as free agents. They need to go All In THIS YEAR.

:naughty:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Seravilli now an Eklund tier guy. Brodie is one of the Leafs most used dmen and heavily leaned on guys who makes every pair he is on better. He is not a cap dump and certainly not being bought out.

Absolute garbage.
He’s dropped from having the best +/- for defenseman on the team every year to, fifth on team in regular season this year, to fifth for playoffs as well.

There has to be an underlying reason for going from every year as best on team, to fifth this last year.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Brodie was not signed for his offense if that's what you expected that's your fault
My bad. He's being paid 5 million dollar for the physical play he doesn't or the defensive game he's no longer good at it

Go see the goal Bennett scored on OT even Brodie was on the ice. I fact I dare you to watch the series against Tampa as well. Dudes game has gone south

Not physical. Not defensively good. Not offensive

But sure I guess he's worth 5 million for a player he was 5 years ago

Reactions: Glacious

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Isnt Brodie pretty good? I generally like Seravalli but this just seems like nonsense to me.

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
Aaaaand that's your problem right there

Okay, but he is a solid #3. The fact he is in a role higher than is ideal does not devoid him of all value. If the solution is taking a solid defender and eating cap space to get rid of them, you are making way more problems than there are now.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I know you didn't watch the video because it's 27 minutes long so how do you know he didn't say it?

He did he just used his YouTube channel instead of Twitter

Last I checked saying go check his videos and find the quote in a 30 min video is not a source. And the way you made this thread implies this is something that is seriously being considered instead of a hot take out of his ass for fluff on his youtube channel.

Be better.

He’s dropped from having the best +/- for defenseman on the team every year to, fifth on team in regular season this year, to fifth for playoffs as well.

There has to be an underlying reason for going from every year as best on team, to fifth this last year.

I don't even care to get into the debate with you. We both know he is not a buyout candidate so let's cut the crap and debating about him because the whole thing is BS anyways

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Why on earth would they do that? They have 2 legit top 4 dmen (assuming no Muzzin) and they’re going to buy one of them out when he’s not even overpaid?

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
If Brodie gets bought out, Treliving must really hate him. Tried to trade him in Calgary then goes to Toronto to buy him out.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Isnt Brodie pretty good? I generally like Seravalli but this just seems like nonsense to me.
He was for first few years and that's all the fans remember him for

He's been on decline. His decision making has been absolutely mind boggling sometimes

McCabe has made him redundant. McCabe isn't very good but can be physical and move the puck. Schenn was a hitting machine

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why on earth would they do that? They have 2 legit top 4 dmen (assuming no Muzzin) and they’re going to buy one of them out when he’s not even overpaid?

They wouldn't it's stupid.

But saying they have 2 legitimate top 4 D is also wrong.

Jake McCabe is a top 4 D.

He might be a #4 but he's still top 4

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Last I checked saying go check his videos and find the quote in a 30 min video is not a source. And the way you made this thread implies this is something that is seriously being considered instead of a hot take out of his ass for fluff on his youtube channel.

Be better.

I don't even care to get into the debate with you. We both know he is not a buyout candidate so let's cut the crap and debating about him because the whole thing is BS anyways
That doesn’t address why he has fallen off a lot this year, when he was their best all the previous years.
put earplugs in your ears then, seems like a reasonable discussion to have, why he was so much worse this year.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
old spray n pray Seravalli at it again

D9645CF0E1FD8548852F74C17BA30A5E05E0C646
Back when I used twitter I called him out on doing this and he got super defensive.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
it'd be incredibly stupid if they did. They're gonna need the extra cap space more next year than this year and you aren't likely gonna find a defenceman that will provide the same quality of minutes that Brodie can for under 5 mil anyways in this free agent crop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad