Wondering if Brooks Laich can be the next Leafs captain?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm more surprised that Berger still writes, compared to suggestions that Laich be captain.

Why did he leave 590 / Sportsnet? As annoying as he was, he was always willing to ask players / coaches / management the questions the fans wanted to know

He was fired. And he was a troll for the fans. He did nothing but rip Leafs fans over the years. Biting the hand that feeds is stupid in any profession, but in journalism it's a death sentence. Berger doesn't deserve to be working in the industry after all the crap he said about Leafs fans.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Not to be philosophical but just wait a little bit and it
will become obvious. We cant just say would
the captain please come forward.

Two or three players will seperate themselves
from the others and they will likely all be good
choices. We can wait a little longer Yeah
we arent good at waiting.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm more surprised that Berger still writes, compared to suggestions that Laich be captain.

Why did he leave 590 / Sportsnet? As annoying as he was, he was always willing to ask players / coaches / management the questions the fans wanted to know

Not really, he's in the Cox/Feschuk/Simmons category for me. Just looking for a hot take most of the time.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
If you ever feel like you aren't very good at your job, just think of Howard Berger, he's an absolute moron and still gets paid to talk about hockey. Then you'll feel better.

No, Brooks Laich should not be captain. Can't believe that even needs to be stated.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
He was fired. And he was a troll for the fans. He did nothing but rip Leafs fans over the years. Biting the hand that feeds is stupid in any profession, but in journalism it's a death sentence. Berger doesn't deserve to be working in the industry after all the crap he said about Leafs fans.

ah yes. i still remember the good ol' days where he called all leafs fans sheep.

i only keep tabs on him now to see if he has any rumours. IDGAF about his opinions on any other matters.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
this is blow your brains out stupid. The leafs just got rid of someone who was named captain that could not handle it. Laich is a rental next season anyway. It would be stupid to carry someone like him long term.

Leafs cannot name a captain until either Stamkos signs or one of Matthews, Marner, or some other prospect steps up.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
If anything Laich will be goven an "A" next year because by all accounts he was a grest leader snd mentor in Washington. So his leadership abilities will be addressed but it will not be with the legitimate captaincy of the Leafs.

He is essentially a rental-in-waiting, so they will probably promote his leadership with an "A" as part of the reason why a team should trade for him, like Polak, PAP, etc this year.

The captaincy to me at least is too sacred to give for only half a year. The Leafs are 100 years old and have only had what 18-19 captains? So on average Leafs captains last 5.5 years in tenure. Its not a long time but it is still more sacred than other teams.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Why do some people always seem to be in such an infernal rush to make a bad decision? Awful, awful idea. Leave the position vacant until someone central to the core going forward (in other words, not a recent import on their last legs) claims it who can wear the "C" for, hopefully, a long while.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Rielly to me screams captain material. A very young veteran that will be here for a very long time. Playing at a very high level. A work horse and top level talent. Perhaps not the ' I'm going to kill you along the boards' (which is absurd) kind of leadership, but more of 'lead by example' leader and face of the franchise.

I understand delaying the announcement but I'd be surprised if he's not named captain in a year or two.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
What? No. I doubt Laich would even want to stay here after his contracts up. He's probably going to jet back to a contender and I don't blame him.

Leafsbeast*

Stamkos will be the next captain. Thats why they cleared off Phaneuf.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
No thanks, he can be one of the alternates though

What? No. I doubt Laich would even want to stay here after his contracts up. He's probably going to jet back to a contender and I don't blame him.

If any will have him.

tolwyn

Feb 4, 2015
Why do some people always seem to be in such an infernal rush to make a bad decision? Awful, awful idea. Leave the position vacant until someone central to the core going forward (in other words, not a recent import on their last legs) claims it who can wear the "C" for, hopefully, a long while.

Seriously. Why would we rush to name anyone captain? Looked how it turned out for Phaneuf. We don't need one of our prospects or guys in their early 20's (like Rielly) being thrown the C and have all that pressure. It's not even important at this phase of the rebuild, and we know the media would constantly hound anyone wearing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad