Wondering if Brooks Laich can be the next Leafs captain?

Mad Brills*

I'm not against giving him an "A" next season if he sticks around.

but LOL at captain

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I can't believe somebody pays Howard berger money to write articles with as terrible premises as this.

Seconded.
The paid media sucks so badly. ..it's beyond my comprehension that such a ludicrous idea can be put forward as legitimate.

Edit - sorry, just found out it was his personal blog after sifting through the comments. But apparently he actually got the idea from a paid media source. My comment still stands.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Nah this guy is more a politician than hockey player at this point. The goal should be to get him through to the next trade deadline with some value and sell him back to the Caps

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Leafs don't name guys captains just for 1-2 seasons, they need to be seen as a guy going forward who can lead the team.

Laich's career will be done soon.

Berger is out to lunch as usual.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I think we'll still be having the "who is the Leafs next captain" talk 365 days from now unless we sign Stamkos..

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I was reading Howard Berger's blog and he wonders if next season they will name Brooks Laich the next Leafs captain or as Berger calls it a “bridge” captain until they name someone long term.

Personally I can't see that happening because when have the Leafs ever named a captain just for 1 season since next year is the final year of Laich's contract. Prior to Dion Phaneuf being named captain after Mats Sundin left the Leafs did not have a captain for the 2008-2009 season and the 2009-2010 season. Anyway here is a link to Berger's blog if you want to read it.

http://betweentheposts.ca/2016/03/do-the-leafs-have-their-next-captain/

I try not to use this word too lightly...but Berger is an IDIOT.
He's a hack who lost whatever connections he used to have and he tries to stay relevant by writing "controversial" garbage.
Pathetic.
If they did name Laich captain, it would pan out one of two ways.

Way #1: He leaves less than a year after being named captain (unless he wants to sign for under 2 mill)
Way #2: If he resigns and is captain, it will quickly resemble the Ference diabolical with the Coilers.

Anyway, the Leafs won't name a captain until they're 100% sure it's the guy who is going to lead the team out of this dark hole.
On the current roster, my money is on Komarov, especially considering they said he was part of the core.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
No. No captains until we have someone who can wear the C for a long while.

No more placeholder captains. Rather give it to Komorov if the only options are on the ice now.

Mad Brills*

No. No captains until we have someone who can wear the C for a long while.

No more placeholder captains. Rather give it to Komorov if the only options are on the ice now.

they have to have one within a year or so.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
In the event we signed him, I'd still wait a full year with him on the team to do it.

I don't disagree with you at all, but I wouldn't be shocked if at the hypothetical press conference when he throws that jersey on that it would have a C on it.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
yeah. But after a while, you kinda of have to for reasons.

Yeah I was totally agreeing with you. If we get Stamkos he'll get it, if not Komarov will get it.
It would be pretty sweet to be the captain for the Centennial

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't disagree with you at all, but I wouldn't be shocked if at the hypothetical press conference when he throws that jersey on that it would have a C on it.

That would be disappointing. I think even if you have that cache around the league, you still need to earn your teammates respect and shouldn't be handed the captaincy of the Maple Leafs. A year without a captain we can handle, and if Babcock feels Stamkos would be the best fit as a captain at that point, I trust him.

Leafsbeast*

I say give it to komarov.

He speaks 5 languages, (can communicate with anyone on team), is extremely smart and brings it everyday.

If someone asks the ideal traits of a captain, that would be the list as I have described it.

Give it to him now, then extend him next year. He is the kind of player that can play until he is 35 or more.

....so promote him from corporal to Captain. :yo:

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Conspiracy theory: Brooks Laich will be sold back to the Capitals with the Leafs retaining the maximum possible salary. And this was the plan all along.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
This is why the mainstream media and NHL circles told Berger to GTFO and never come back. In an industry that employs Cox and Simmons, you have to be a special kind of stupid to get blacklisted like that.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
:laugh: Who in their right minds reads Berger and admits it?

Let's wait and hear what Mike from Buffalo has to say on the subject.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'm more surprised that Berger still writes, compared to suggestions that Laich be captain.

Why did he leave 590 / Sportsnet? As annoying as he was, he was always willing to ask players / coaches / management the questions the fans wanted to know

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad