Wondering if Brooks Laich can be the next Leafs captain?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I was reading Howard Berger's blog and he wonders if next season they will name Brooks Laich the next Leafs captain or as Berger calls it a “bridge†captain until they name someone long term.

Personally I can't see that happening because when have the Leafs ever named a captain just for 1 season since next year is the final year of Laich's contract. Prior to Dion Phaneuf being named captain after Mats Sundin left the Leafs did not have a captain for the 2008-2009 season and the 2009-2010 season. Anyway here is a link to Berger's blog if you want to read it.

http://betweentheposts.ca/2016/03/do-the-leafs-have-their-next-captain/

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I can't believe somebody pays Howard berger money to write articles with as terrible premises as this.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
it's like the media has one thought bubble or something. almost everyone is banging the Laich for captain drum

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He seems like a nice guy, but come on.

He's a 4th line centre that some speculated the Caps would buyout last offseason.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He's definitely a leader in the room.

However not just anyone can be the Maple Leafs captain

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Even if Laich was named the captain wouldn't others in the media say he has not played enough games for them? It's what they said about Phaneuf when he was named captain.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
I think we all know who the next captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs is going to be. :D

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I was reading Howard Berger's blog and he wonders if next season they will name Brooks Laich the next Leafs captain or as Berger calls it a “bridge†captain until they name someone long term.

Personally I can't see that happening because when have the Leafs ever named a captain just for 1 season since next year is the final year of Laich's contract. Prior to Dion Phaneuf being named captain after Mats Sundin left the Leafs did not have a captain for the 2008-2009 season and the 2009-2010 season. Anyway here is a link to Berger's blog if you want to read it.

http://betweentheposts.ca/2016/03/do-the-leafs-have-their-next-captain/

He will defer to stamkos :sarcasm::nod::yo::D

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
well if he didnt come up with something this stupid, who would read, notice him, and even talk about him

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Dumb idea. No thank you. Laich seems like a great guy, but I feel like the nature of his coming here is too sombre a thing for him to really bond with the team. Myself as a fan, I just want to see him dealt ASAP to a Cup contender, likely with the Leafs retaining 50%, since it will only be for one season (after this year).

He isn't going to be named captain, unless we sign Stamkos we won't have anyone wearing the C next year. And beyond that, not sure who would take the reins. Possibly Rielly/Komarov, one of those two. Personally I think it would be Komarov. The added pressure on a guy like Rielly isn't good. I could see Komarov doing well under that title though.

cwulf

Dec 7, 2015
I think the Leafs won't have a captain for 2-3 years at least. If Mathews is drafted, possibly him after he gets a couple seasons under his belt. Or else some other character two way guy that's in the system that steps up as he develops.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad