Olympics: Women tournament

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Have more women go out and support female athletes and their sports. There's your financial support. Unfortunately as I said most women aren't interested in sports whether its men or women, so while men have no issues supporting male athletes, women athletes are screwed because other women don't do the same. Sucks for women but what can you do?
I think that's an overgeneralization. Established female sport disciplines like tennis and golf are well supported financially and off the field of play. Hockey just simply isn't there yet, which is why I said they need to develop more professional women's hockey leagues. Not only does that help women in terms of being able to make a decent living off playing hockey, it will eventually help to bring the sport into the mainstream spotlight through media coverage. It just needs to start somewhere and once you reach a certain flashpoint, support usually explodes exponentially and feeds on itself.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
It's extremely disappointing that Canada could come away from curling with zero medals. They need to hold some sort of curling summit. :sarcasm:

Well I think Gushue as a good chance at winning a medal even if it may not be gold, but if he doesn't then maybe Canada really does need have some sort of discussion as to what they can do to change things because with so many players in Canada and plenty of tournaments we should be consistently competitive and challenging the best.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Well I think Gushue as a good chance at winning a medal even if it may not be gold, but if he doesn't then maybe Canada really does need have some sort of discussion as to what they can do to change things because with so many players in Canada and plenty of tournaments we should be consistently competitive and challenging the best.
I think the easiest way is to change the way they select who goes to the Olympics to represent Canada. Too often it's not representative of the best or most in-form rink in the country.

Reactions: Chrysalis99

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I think that's an overgeneralization. Established female sport disciplines like tennis and golf are well supported financially and off the field of play. Hockey just simply isn't there yet, which is why I said they need to develop more professional women's hockey leagues. Not only does that help women in terms of being able to make a decent living off playing hockey, it will eventually help to bring the sport into the mainstream spotlight through media coverage. It just needs to start somewhere and once you reach a certain flashpoint, support usually explodes exponentially and feeds on itself.

People show plenty of interest in women's tennis and golf. The same can't be said for women's hockey or most other female sports. Hard to justify creating leagues for them when all you have to do is look at the WNBA where even after all these years they can't turn a profit. Unless someone is willing to take losses for who knows how many years if not indefinitely by running a female hockey league, then it will never happen.

Women's sports need women support. Even a relative small fraction of women supporting female athletes would be enough, but it hasn't happened and likely won't ever happen.

Reactions: Chrysalis99

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I think the easiest way is to change the way they select who goes to the Olympics to represent Canada. Too often it's not representative of the best or most in-form rink in the country.

Maybe we do need to take a look at how a team is selected to represent Canada at the Olympics. Kinda sucks that this is the second straight Olympics that Canada's women's teams are out before the playoffs. Really though if Jones had only made that final shot to beat China yesterday, she would've been in the playoffs now.

I didn't expect Jones to dominate like she did last time, but I also didn't expect her and Lawes to play so hot and cold and miss so many important shots that cost them games though.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
People show plenty of interest in women's tennis and golf. The same can't be said for women's hockey or most other female sports. Hard to justify creating leagues for them when all you have to do is look at the WNBA where even after all these years they can't turn a profit. Unless someone is willing to take losses for who knows how many years if not indefinitely by running a female hockey league, then it will never happen.

Women's sports need women support. Even a relative small fraction of women supporting female athletes would be enough, but it hasn't happened and likely won't ever happen.
What I’m saying is that I think it’s a generalization that women don’t support sports. They clearly support sports like tennis and golf. Hockey isn’t there yet.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
What I’m saying is that I think it’s a generalization that women don’t support sports. They clearly support sports like tennis and golf. Hockey isn’t there yet.

Not generalization at all. Those are almost the ONLY female sports that women show some interest in. Tennis is probably the most supported sport by women and golf is decent but much less in comparison. What other female sports come close to that? Maybe figure skating, but that's not a huge money maker for most men or women who join it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Not generalization at all. Those are almost the ONLY female sports that women show some interest in. Tennis is probably the most supported sport by women and golf is decent but much less in comparison. What other female sports come close to that? Maybe figure skating, but that's not a huge money maker for most men or women who join it.
Soccer is getting there, especially in Europe.

Then you have other less known individual disciplines like athletics, skating, gymnastics, etc. These sports are usually less popular and financially appealing on the mens side compared to the major sports, but on the womens side it’s reversed.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I completely disagree with this assessment. The Canadian Olympic Curling Trials are always loaded with the very best teams in the country and typically the team that comes out is either the #1 or #2 team in Canada. Gushue's team is as good as any in the country. He was the top ranked team this year. Adding in Kennedy as the fifth makes it even stronger. The one exception where the trials may not have produced one of the top two teams in the country is 1997 when Harris beat Kevin Martin in Brandon. But Harris was definitely no slouch, especialli with Richard Hart at third.

International teams have really improved both technically and in terms of strategy. The latter being as important as the former. Someone like Edin for example would be competitive at the Brier year in and year out. It's also a sport where a good team can be hot on a given day and upset a better team.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
God forbid MPP win a silver or bronze one damn time

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I completely disagree with this assessment. The Canadian Olympic Curling Trials are always loaded with the very best teams in the country and typically the team that comes out is either the #1 or #2 team in Canada. Gushue's team is as good as any in the country. He was the top ranked team this year. Adding in Kennedy as the fifth makes it even stronger. The one exception where the trials may not have produced one of the top two teams in the country is 1997 when Harris beat Kevin Martin in Brandon. But Harris was definitely no slouch, especialli with Richard Hart at third.

International teams have really improved both technically and in terms of strategy. The latter being as important as the former. Someone like Edin for example would be competitive at the Brier year in and year out. It's also a sport where a good team can be hot on a given day and upset a better team.
It’d be hard to convince me that Jones is the best female rink in Canada.

When you have highly inconsistent results over the last few cycles, it’s time to reconsider how you pick who goes to the Olympics. I don’t expect Canada to win gold every time in men’s, women’s and mixed. But to have golds mixed in with out of playoff crashes is simply too inconsistent for me based on the talent level available in the country.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I just wonder how many more Olympics before they threaten to remove this if it continues to be US/Canada every time. That’s sort of how softball got booted

Japan won the last gold medal in softball. The IOC had to kill it before other teams won gold and it caught on.

Congrats to Canada on their 3-2 win and Gold Medal!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Great job Canuck ladies! Beat USA twice in same tourney. Very hard to do.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It’d be hard to convince me that Jones is the best female rink in Canada.

When you have highly inconsistent results over the last few cycles, it’s time to reconsider how you pick who goes to the Olympics. I don’t expect Canada to win gold every time in men’s, women’s and mixed. But to have golds mixed in with out of playoff crashes is simply too inconsistent for me based on the talent level available in the country.

My comment was more about the men than the women since Gushue is the guy mentioned in the post I quoted. But even on the women's side Jones is the most experienced team in Canada by a long shot and is still one of the three or four best teams in the country on a consistent basis. In the ranking system she was #2 behind Tracy Fleury. Fleury has a strong team but she has no significant international experience as a skip. That matters because so much of curling is between the ears.

There is not a lot between any of the three or four top women's teams in terms of ability. If I had to pick a team it would have been Einarson. But Jones would be more than capable of winning.

Honestly, I am not sure what else you can do. I don't like the idea of the CCA picking a team. And it's not like hockey where you choose the top players at each position. The reality is that Canada still dominates curling in the sense that the depth is infinitely greater than it is in any other country but today there are a handful of great teams from all over the world that on a given day can win any game.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Congratulations to Team Canada. A great job defensively, and a great team effort overall. Team USA should be proud of their Silver Medal also. They had plenty of chances to capitalize, but sometimes it is not your day. I am sure in 4 years time, there will be a rematch in the Gold Medal Game.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Congratulations to Team Canada. A great job defensively, and a great team effort overall. Team USA should be proud of their Silver Medal also. They had plenty of chances to capitalize, but sometimes it is not your day. I am sure in 4 years time, there will be a rematch in the Gold Medal Game.

Tough blow for you guys to miss arguably your top player from the very beginning of the tournament.

We saw how M-P Poulin impacted the final game.

Reactions: Mehar

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Maybe we do need to take a look at how a team is selected to represent Canada at the Olympics. Kinda sucks that this is the second straight Olympics that Canada's women's teams are out before the playoffs. Really though if Jones had only made that final shot to beat China yesterday, she would've been in the playoffs now.

I didn't expect Jones to dominate like she did last time, but I also didn't expect her and Lawes to play so hot and cold and miss so many important shots that cost them games though.
Agree.

I am a BIG Lawes fan but, even I have to admit, this was not her finest tournament. I just think Lawes is over playing her shots because she knows Jones can't play anymore.

Again, time for Jones to step down.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

That's a given with how uncompetitive women's hockey is. LOL.

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
It sucks that we lost, but Canada clearly was better and deserved the gold. Congrats!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad