Olympics: Women tournament

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I can't wait until she goes away.
I’ve noticed your posts in the pSt few days after coming back k from your yearly playoff meltdowns.

This might sound messed up, but I’m dead serious. You need to eat 3.5 grams of magic mushrooms and just, think about the way you are for a few hours.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Now I feel LOUSY about dumping on her... :(:(:(

Rachel Homan in 'deepest black hole' after curling loss at Beijing Olympics - TSN.ca

For Canada to qualify for the playoffs, Canada needs to win AND ONE of the following needs to happen...

* Japan Wins
* GB and Korea both win
* GB and Korea both lose

Otherwise, they will be drawing shots - and that is a lousy way to win or lose.
Nightly Curling Update:

Canada up 2 after 5 Ends. Should have been up by 3 but Jones is being Jones. :(

With a win, Canada needs ONE of the following...

1) Japan to win - Japan is down by 3 so this looks doubtful.
2) GB and Korea to win - both are winning so... maybe.

After 6 Ends...

Canada steals 3. Canada up 8-3.

Denmark is NOT coming back from 5 down so it's up to GB and Korea to hold onto their lead.

After 7 Ends...

Canada steals 2. Canada up 10-3.

Things are not looking great in the other matches - while GB is winning, Sweden is down one, going into the 8th with hammer.

Last edited:

snag

Feb 22, 2014
They changed the anthem without asking Canadians, politicians just went ahead and decided for everyone.

Most people I know thought it was a stupid move and continue to use the original verse, glad the girls went with the original too. Based goats.

Ranks right up there with "Come on in guys" being somehow sexist or non-inclusive al a Jeff Probst.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
When Canada wins, the sport loses

In 2026, we get to do it all over again

Last edited by a moderator:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Very nice to get that gold, good tournament for the team. Good game to USA as well, good hockey played all around. Poulin is a beast, her performances in the gold medal games are just ridiculous at this point.

Reactions: Oryxo

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Very nice to get that gold, good tournament for the team. Good game to USA as well, good hockey played all around. Poulin is a beast, her performances in the gold medal games are just ridiculous at this point.

She's a frontrunner

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
24 years is basically one child-into-athlete cycle. It takes time, especially since other countries were mostly starting from literally zero.

If its going to take another 20-30 years to show even some improvement from other countries then women's hockey will never be anything beyond Canada vs US.

Reactions: c9777666

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Nightly Curling Update:

Canada up 2 after 5 Ends. Should have been up by 3 but Jones is being Jones. :(

With a win, Canada needs ONE of the following...

1) Japan to win - Japan is down by 3 so this looks doubtful.
2) GB and Korea to win - both are winning so... maybe.

After 6 Ends...

Canada steals 3. Canada up 8-3.

Denmark is NOT coming back from 5 down so it's up to GB and Korea to hold onto their lead.

As an aside I was was curious about who the Japanese team where so I looked their biographies and I found out the team is a live action anime. Lol!

The team is made up of three friends and one of their younger sisters all from the same town of Kitami in Hokkaido who all took up curling at the same time.

After graduating highschool they all went their seperate ways and joined rival curling clubs. Not finding success and unhappy with their lives they all moved back home to Kitami, joined their old curling club under the coach who taught them to play then won a bronze at the last Olympics with some older players who are now alternates for this Olympic team.

Oh yeah and their current Olympic coach is JD Lind a foriegn born Canadian with blond hair.

You can't make this up!

Oh and as I type this they've narrowed the gap to 5-4. This team seems to play better coming from behind. :)

Reactions: ORRFForever

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Women's tournament has appealed to me more than the men's these last 2 Olympics. With the ladies, we're seeing the best play the best in their sport while with the men, it's obviously not the case

It really does suck that just when I was getting excited that we were going to see the best of the best men go at it in Olympic hockey again, it gets pulled out from under us. Men's Olympic hockey really isn't all that interesting without the world's best being there. :(

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Women's tournament has appealed to me more than the men's these last 2 Olympics. With the ladies, we're seeing the best play the best in their sport while with the men, it's obviously not the case

It's not appealing, it's predictable

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If its going to take another 20-30 years to show even some improvement from other countries then women's hockey will never be anything beyond Canada vs US.
The good news is that development tends to be exponential once the popularity of the sport in the country reaches a certain point.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
As an aside I was was curious about who the Japanese team where so I looked their biographies and I found out the team is a live action anime. Lol!

The team is made up of three friends and one of their younger sisters all from the same town of Kitami in Hokkaido who all took up curling at the same time.

After graduating highschool they all went their seperate ways and joined rival curling clubs. Not finding success and unhappy with their lives they all moved back home to Kitami, joined their old curling club under the coach who taught them to play then won a bronze at the last Olympics with some older players who are now alternates for this Olympic team.

Oh yeah and their current Olympic coach is JD Lind a foriegn born Canadian with blond hair.

You can't make this up!

Oh and as I type this they've narrowed the gap to 5-4. This team seems to play better coming from behind. :)
Things are NOT looking good for Canada. If I was a betting man, I don't think Canada will make the playoffs.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
The good news is that development tends to be exponential once the popularity of the sport in the country reaches a certain point.

While we hope that that will be the case, I'm not sure if it will ever be the case when it comes to women's hockey. Even in places like Sweden, Finland and Russia that have such strong hockey history, those women's teams are still struggling to be even competitive with Canada and the US after all this time let alone think about beating them with any sort of consistency.

Outside of Canada and the US, I'm not sure there's many women in other countries that are very interested in playing hockey and be willing to dedicate themselves to become really good. I'd be really surprised if even a couple of nations come anywhere close to Canada/US in the next 20 years when they're so far ahead.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005

Its certainly does not help that USA and Canada are having a 6 to 8 month olympic camp where the team is living with each other and touring around playing 50 games in preparation! While most european countries have maybe 2-4 weeks sporadic preparation spanning the same time.

USA and Team Canada players are full time pros, focusing everything on hockey while other countries have a 8 hour jobs on the side. In Sweden we even had one our best defensman of all time quitting hockey because she had no energy left to both work fulltime and play hockey at the highest level. Even losing money on going to play on the swedish national team.

Canada and USA are better anyways course, but these factors are relevant as well!

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
While we hope that that will be the case, I'm not sure if it will ever be the case when it comes to women's hockey. Even in places like Sweden, Finland and Russia that have such strong hockey history, those women's teams are still struggling to be even competitive with Canada and the US after all this time let alone think about beating them with any sort of consistency.

Outside of Canada and the US, I'm not sure there's many women in other countries that are very interested in playing hockey and be willing to dedicate themselves to become really good. I'd be really surprised if even a couple of nations come anywhere close to Canada/US in the next 20 years when they're so far ahead.
They need more professional womens leagues to make it so that being a pro female hockey player is a dependable way of earning decent money.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

You can't make this up!

Unless Korea (with hammer) can score 3 against Sweden in the 10, Canada is done. Shame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad