000000000Eliminated
23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png
China (H)
1000113−20
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
LOL. I thought Denmark had been eliminated from the tournament because of covid :D

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori
With North Americans being so much better than the rest (Finland can challenge sometimes) how about a World cup of high level womens hockey? Have 4 best province teams from Canada, 4 best US state teams and 4 of the best national teams for the rest of the World.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Terrific Hockey all around in the group B games.

Czech #14 is so dynamic. And the Japanese team has many players with absolutely beautiful skating.

Love the CBC commentator also, he's doing the games alone providing terrific insight.

#15 just sniped one for Japan to gain the lead. Will be a doozy of a finish.

Reactions: Czechboy

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The Japanese win shocked me. Out played them too. Ugly jerseys of course I’m not sure what’s Nikes obsession with black.

Reactions: MuckOG

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
The Japanese win shocked me. Out played them too. Ugly jerseys of course I’m not sure what’s Nikes obsession with black.
Considering that Japan beat Sweden the last time they faced in the World Championship (2019, Sweden was subsequently relegated to Division 1) and Olympics (2018, 5–8th place semifinals) and that Japan is ranked sixth in the world while Sweden is ranked ninth, what exactly is shocking about this result?

Many seem to assume that the power dynamic of women's hockey is just as in men's hockey.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I watched most of the Canada-Switzerland game, looked pretty solid for a start to things even if it wasn't competitive.

Can someone explain why the groups are set up in such a lopsided way?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Can someone explain why the groups are set up in such a lopsided way?
It's to give the audience as many competitive games as possible. Group A features the top-5 of the IIHF ranking, while Group B has the seeds 6 through 10. All five teams in Group A go to the playoff round while only the top-three from Group B make it.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Would love to see Japan be the next market that really explodes as a hockey nation

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's to give the audience as many competitive games as possible. Group A features the top-5 of the IIHF ranking, while Group B has the seeds 6 through 10. All five teams in Group A go to the playoff round while only the top-three from Group B make it.

Ah yes, makes sense. It's a bit gimmicky but practical.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Some of the lesser countries have had nice periods when they've had great goalie. Sweden with Martin and Switzerland with Schelling are good example, both have gone down since their tenures.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Ah yes, makes sense. It's a bit gimmicky but practical.
I really like it and think the World Juniors should take this route as it's a 5 team tournament anyways and then there would be a premier matchup every night. The other group would be amazing with the Czechs, Slovaks, Germans and Swiss battling it out in close game after close game. Only to face one of the big 5 in a very exciting quarter. More fun then watching Canada demolish Denmark 12-0 on Boxing Day IMO.

At the last Women's worlds.. the Swiss got demolished in the A group and met the winner of the B group.. they won and moved on. I expect the same here.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So Japan won...

The Chinese ladies looked good against the Czech ladies, great skating and some skill. Goalie was good.

I hope the Czech ladies win the group as they are a 'riser' on the scene with strong younger and also more established vets. Their goalie is very good and would be a Pool A goalie IMO.

One loss in Group B and your opponent becomes very difficult in the quarters so every Pool B game matters a lot.

It would not surprise me to see the Czechs go undefeated and the Swiss not win a match.. then the Swiss eliminate the Czechs in the quarters. For the Czech team, a quarter win would feel like a medal as its our first Olympics and we do have a good coach, some good players and a very good goalie. We are poised to be a pain in the ass. Having said that Japan could easily beat us and I would not count out our next opponent... Sweden... at all. I'm expected 3-2 games.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Thanks for the thread Ra!

I expect the medalists to be Finns, Canada and US. I still feel awful for the Finn ladies who, I feel, were robbed of a gold against the US a few years ago by a very poor (and long) video review. In a way, I'm cheering for them becuase I feel they were robbed.

I think I got my quarter brackets a bit off above.. can someone pleae remind me how it goes?

I don't think 5th in Pool A gets eliminated and they are guaranteed a quarter... I'm guessing that will be a winlesss Swiss or Russian Squad which is who I think you have to undefeated agains tto get and hope for an upset. Happy to be corrected!

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
It would not surprise me to see the Czechs go undefeated and the Swiss not win a match.. then the Swiss eliminate the Czechs in the quarters.
Switzerland and the Czech Republic would not face each other in the quarters if Switzerland ended up as the last in their group and the Czech Republic first in theirs, though. The first-placed team of Group B faces the third-placed team of Group A.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Switzerland and the Czech Republic would not face each other in the quarters if Switzerland ended up as the last in their group and the Czech Republic first in theirs, though. The first-placed team of Group B faces the third-placed team of Group A.
So, let's assume it goes like I hope (as a Czech fan)... that would mean winning our Pool would mean a quarter against the worst of Finland, Canada and US?

f***!

I'm not saying we'd beat Russia or Swiss but they are a slightly lower Tier then the Finns.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
So, let's assume it goes like I hope (as a Czech fan)... that would mean winning our Pool would mean a quarter against the worst of Finland, Canada and US?

f***!

I'm not saying we'd beat Russia or Swiss but they are a slightly lower Tier then the Finns.
Indeed, a repeat of the Finland-Czech quarterfinal matchup from the last World Championship seems likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad