Attachments

• 7AF32465-DF1D-4E2D-AD9E-5E32D4CDC345.jpeg
    7AF32465-DF1D-4E2D-AD9E-5E32D4CDC345.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 7

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I personally disagree. 9 isn’t that many out of the entire player pool in the tournament and for us to have nearly half that is impressive.
I think you’re missing my point. My point is that it isn’t impressive for a seventh rounder to make the wjc’s in the first place. It’s fine we have so many this year. Next year there may only be five 7th rounders then maybe twelve the next. Anyone we draft at all should be competitive to make their respective team. Canada is really the only team where it’s tougher to make it as that low a pick.

We’ve taken a lot of lower round picks in the last couple of years so of course we have more than other teams in that range. It’s not a sign of great drafting, it’s drafting more volume from the same pool these teams are picking from.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I think you’re missing my point. My point is that it isn’t impressive for a seventh rounder to make the wjc’s in the first place. It’s fine we have so many this year. Next year there may only be five 7th rounders then maybe twelve the next. Anyone we draft at all should be competitive to make their respective team. Canada is really the only team where it’s tougher to make it as that low a pick.

We’ve taken a lot of lower round picks in the last couple of years so of course we have more than other teams in that range. It’s not a sign of great drafting, it’s drafting more volume from the same pool these teams are picking from.

I’m not missing your point, I just don’t agree with you.

We have 7th rounders playing for Canada, Russia and Sweden - 3 of the best teams in the tournament. I find that impressive. We’re not talking about guys playing for weaker nations like Austria, Norway, Denmark etc.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’m not missing your point, I just don’t agree with you.

We have 7th rounders playing for Canada, Russia and Sweden - 3 of the best teams in the tournament. I find that impressive. We’re not talking about guys playing for weaker nations like Austria, Norway, Denmark etc.
Fair enough. I don’t think it means shit. Seeley has overachieved as a late round pick and has put himself on the map as a possible prospect. The rest are standard late picks, all highly unlikely to be a threat to make it to the nhl while being standard fare to make their national teams.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

We have 4 out of the 9 7th rounders good enough to make these teams. We certainly haven’t taken 4/9ths of the 7th round picks of the last 2 years. That’s a sign that we are converting well, even if in a small sample size.

What I think it’s a better endorsement of is the “trade down” strategy in the first place. If the front office thinks “conversion rates” (converting draft picks to useful players) level off once you get to Round 3 or 4, their strategy of trading down to get volume is certainly paying off given our presence in this tournament.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Fair enough. I don’t think it means shit. Seeley has overachieved as a late round pick and has put himself on the map as a possible prospect. The rest are standard late picks, all highly unlikely to be a threat to make it to the nhl while being standard fare to make their national teams.

Another way to make my point is that we have more 7th round picks in this tournament than more than half the teams in the NHL have players. And everything you’re saying about 7th rounders (elite players in their own leagues, not that impressive to make the WJC team, etc.) is certainly also true of 1-6th rounders that all of these other teams are drafting, no?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
And then CAN gets one back to make it 3-2 on questionable GI...but not black & white enough probably to challenge playing IN Canada

Reactions: mikeyfan

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I would like to second using any means necessary up to and including murder to get Michkov.

Canada has looked shaky early but I'm guessing it's just nerves playing in front of their home fans. That was a nice little flurry from the Czechs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad