WJC Thread 2018

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Just like Chabot last year, I felt calm when Mete was on the ice. I knew he was going to be solid for Canada. Makar got the All Star selection, but they had so many great defencemen, Mete included. Would be great to see him on the Olympic team.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Nope, not that easy, you have to choose which one you'd rather have.

I can't imagine anyone would pick Mete over Dahlin. I really like Mete but I don't even know if he can be a top pairing guy in the NHL.

Dahlin seems to be almost a generational talent.

Unless you're joking and I completely missed it.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Going to give some credit to Montreal's player development here for allowing Mete to play in this tournament. This is how you develop prospects, by making sure you put them in situations where they can learn, lead and succeed. And Victor certainly made the most of his opportunity and had one hell of a tournament. You don't win championships with player's who don't know how to win, and when they do learn it it's something that sticks with them forever.

Going forward, I would love to see Mete return to junior and hopefully play for the Olympic team. This guy needs minutes and playing time and the chance to lead. He's already shown in this tournament he has those abilities, and now it's time to refine them.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Nope, not that easy, you have to choose which one you'd rather have.

Dahlen, and it's not even close.

Mete is going to be a good NHL player, but as one poster pointed out (and which I agree) he doesn't seem like someone who is going to put up a lot of points or lead the power play. He does look like a great skating D man that will provide very good defensive play and be fantastic at transitioning out of the zone.

Dahlen is looking like he is going to be a force in all three zones, and in addition to that has the ability to obliterate you with a hit or dominate you physically on any given shift.

He's looking like a 30 min a night D that you play in every situation.

Reactions: RealityBytes

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
DS1DQk1UQAA7b1s.jpg

Those two guys on the left. I so want them both to have Habs logo pins on their suit jackets in the very, very near future.
I've been saying the same thing for a week or so. This year was not a great year for Canadian juniors but those two guys put together an awesome team. One of my favorite all time.

Incidently that game last night was great. Kudos to the Swedes. They were great.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Dahlen, and it's not even close.

Mete is going to be a good NHL player, but as one poster pointed out (and which I agree) he doesn't seem like someone who is going to put up a lot of points or lead the power play. He does look like a great skating D man that will provide very good defensive play and be fantastic at transitioning out of the zone.

Dahlen is looking like he is going to be a force in all three zones, and in addition to that has the ability to obliterate you with a hit or dominate you physically on any given shift.

He's looking like a 30 min a night D that you play in every situation.

Dahlin looked like he had all the tools to win multiple norris trophies. He looks even better than Karlsson and would already probably be top 10 in the nhl. I think Mete will be a great top 4 d-man. They're not comparable players.

Last night though, Mete played hell of a game. I think he was the best defenseman on the ice. He's just not big enough to be the number 1 guy in the nhl.

Reactions: habergeon

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Dahlin looked like he had all the tools to win multiple norris trophies. He looks even better than Karlsson and would already probably be top 10 in the nhl. I think Mete will be a great top 4 d-man. They're not comparable players.

Last night though, Mete played hell of a game. I think he was the best defenseman on the ice. He's just not big enough to be the number 1 guy in the nhl.

Yeah, Dahlin is a special player. I can't remember the last time there was a D this hyped. Maybe Bouwmeester ? But he really lost his luster heading to the draft. Johnson was pretty hyped as well, but not like Dahlin.

As for Mete, maybe he won't be a number 1. But, Krug is about the same size and like Mete, he uses both skills and smarts. He can carry a 2nd pairing though and that's perfectly fine as that takes pressure off every other D.

Reactions: Nedved

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

I thought Timmins was slightly better. Mete was fantastic on D but Timmins was just as good on D but better on offense.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I thought Timmins was slightly better. Mete was fantastic on D but Timmins was just as good on D but better on offense.

I thought Mete was more composed and made the simple plays all game. He just seemed to see the game 3-4 steps ahead. Timmins has that next level talent though, and the ability to be a game breaker. I don't see that with Mete, but Mete reminded me of scott niedermayer without the size. Just keeps it simple and never seems to make a mistake. Even as a rookie at the nhl level, mete looked in total control most games. I'm glad he's a hab.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I thought Mete was more composed and made the simple plays all game. He just seemed to see the game 3-4 steps ahead. Timmins has that next level talent though, and the ability to be a game breaker. I don't see that with Mete, but Mete reminded me of scott niedermayer without the size. Just keeps it simple and never seems to make a mistake. Even as a rookie at the nhl level, mete looked in total control most games. I'm glad he's a hab.

If only Mete had Nieds wrister.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad