GDT: WJC: Switzerland Vs USA | December 28th @ 2:30PM MT

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Why didn't they play the game tomorrow and move the USA/SWE game to the 30th where both teams are off?

I don't know the covid protocols in place at the tournament but I think it's extremely unlikely the Amerks will be allowed to play tomorrow. Switzerland had to isolate for 2 days when Knak tested positive. The entire team was in quarantine and wasn't allowed to practice etc. I don't know why the Amerks would be allowed to end isolation any earlier especially with 2 covid cases instead of just 1. Also, McKenzie hinted that it may involve goalies. If the Amerks are down two goalies I don't know if they can carry on at all. Are you allowed to play with one goalie or add players during the tournament? That would surprise me.

Expect the Sweden game to get postponed at the very least. Possibly cancelled as well.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't know the covid protocols in place at the tournament but I think it's extremely unlikely the Amerks will be allowed to play tomorrow. Switzerland had to isolate for 2 days when Knak tested positive. The entire team was in quarantine and wasn't allowed to practice etc. I don't know why the Amerks would be allowed to end isolation any earlier especially with 2 covid cases instead of just 1. Also, McKenzie hinted that it may involve goalies. If the Amerks are down two goalies I don't know if they can carry on at all. Are you allowed to play with one goalie or add players during the tournament? That would surprise me.

Expect the Sweden game to get postponed at the very least. Possibly cancelled as well.
There must be a WHL American goalie close by. Not that I know how to get him onto the roster but some kind of exception?

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Why didn't they play the game tomorrow and move the USA/SWE game to the 30th where both teams are off?
My understanding is that the USA/Swiss game was initially postponed in the hope that it could be rescheduled.

It was later announced that the USA would have to forfeit because it was not possible to reschedule the game without having a team play three games in three days, which is against IIHF rules.

The suggestion that you made, i.e. having the USA/Sweden game on the 30th, would have required the USA to play on the 29th, 30th and 31st, and thus is not permitted.

Before the tournament started, it was agreed that if a game could not be rescheduled, the team that caused the problem would have to forfeit.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So from what I understand the US now have to pray that there will be no more positive tests or they'll have to quarantine for longer.

I just checked though...apparently you're allowed to apply to add players to the roster (with a 24h waiting period) and you're also allowed to dress other players as goaltenders if you don't have any left. So that wouldn't be a problem for the US.

Reactions: Czechboy

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
I could see US players infecting Swedish players and sweden getting covid right at the time for quarterfinal.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
My understanding is that the USA/Swiss game was initially postponed in the hope that it could be rescheduled.

It was later announced that the USA would have to forfeit because it was not possible to reschedule the game without having a team play three games in three days, which is against IIHF rules.

The suggestion that you made, i.e. having the USA/Sweden game on the 30th, would have required the USA to play on the 29th, 30th and 31st, and thus is not permitted.

Before the tournament started, it was agreed that if a game could not be rescheduled, the team that caused the problem would have to forfeit.

Is that a rule? That would make sense then I guess, though I would guess the Americans would be fine to play 3 days in a row if it meant not having to forfeit.

They could move their game against RUS on the 31st to the 1st, and still be within the 3 day rule with the QF on the 2nd, and SF on the 4th. Though I would guess they wouldn't want to do that as it gives uneven rest prior to the QF for both teams.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Pack up... go home... I know it sucks but expose this tournament as a joke. Sadly the US players won't be able to showcase their skills, but most have NHL commits... let the Swiss or Austria win the Covid Cup!

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I mean Canada is ignoring Covid which is why they are hosting this joke.
IIHF had a bubble and sounds like Canada decided to screw it up. I heard these guys entered Canada middle of December to prepare for this. That’s why they were having this despite everything else being canceled by IIHF.

If Canada is ignoring what the hell is the US doing?

Reactions: Thegreatwar

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

McKenzie said here on TV that they're going to all be tested today and tomorrow with tomorrows results expedited. If everyone else is negative they'll be good to play against Sweden.

If the case that game can't go ahead they shouldn't have an issue with moving it to the 30th though. That wouldn't break the 3 game in 3 day rule mentioned above

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad