GDT: WJC: Switzerland Vs USA | December 28th @ 2:30PM MT

Lykosia

Jun 21, 2019
Whole tournament should've been cancelled. Like they did with girls tournament.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
What I don't understand is why the forfeit had to be a 1-0 regulation "loss".

Why couldn't it have been a 1-0 Overtime "loss"? Therefore, USA still gets 1 point, while the other team still earns more points, but not the full 3 points?
Haha, you've got to be trolling. Picture this, It's the last game of the preliminary round Canada is Playing Russia. Canada needs one point to make the medal round they just have to get it to OT. under your new rule not only does Canada qualify by forfeiting and earning the point, they get the day's rest.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
The problem might be that I am looking for logic here, but I dont understand how you can make a team forfeit for covid positives when you are allowing fans in the building and not having a bubble.

Reactions: 03282022

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Sucks that USA lost out on a free win, but who cares, 4/5 teams make the next round anyways, whether you play Canada in the Quarters or the Finals it doesn't matter because international hockey, especially at the Junior level has 0 depth. The team this hurts the most is Slovakia since now Switzerland got 3 points when they most likely get 0.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Um, yes, yes they do and yes it does happen, even if you weren't on antibiotics or forgot to take it. Bad bad comparison to attempt to use.
It's incredibly rare, which is the point. Transmitting Covid while vaccinated is also incredibly rare, as the evidence in the article shows.

The IIHF should have taken the same approach the NFL is currently taking, because if they were going to force teams to forfeit for any positive test then the tournament was always doomed to fail.

It was predictably going to turn into a joke and already has.

I suspect they will feel pot committed and try to salvage this by making the knockout stage a full on bubble, but it's already too late.

When teams start forfeiting knockout games, or god forbid, the gold medal game, this will look even worse.

They should either cancel the tournament, or change their forfeit rules so they aren't so ridiculous.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad