GDT: WJC - Slovakia vs Switzerland, Dec.. 27, 2023

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
Hurts to lose this way but i‘m confident for the next games if we continue like this except for the scoring

Reactions: jj cale

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
Crazy game. Last time I saw something like this was when Slovakia took like 50+ shots against Sweden and lost 2-0 in the cancelled tournament

Reactions: tobu

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
We'll see. There's a chance because it's a back to back but we're talking about games 1 and 2 of the tournament so Gajan should still be sharp. I'm not sure if Slovakia wants to risk that vs Switzerland but maybe the win vs Czechia gave them confidence to do so. I think that Gajan is the clear nr.1 though and I don't think Urban or Elias are actually any good. I think the only way Switzerland can win this game is if Gajan is rested. From a Slovakian perspective it would make more sense to rest their nr.1 vs Norway or USA.
You were so right about the Gajan "problem" for the swiss. Wow

swissdude

May 18, 2019
Ugly win, hopefully we have the stinker out of the way and we can only get better from here.

Swiss were really good and probably deserved better luck.
that's probably true but do you really deserve better if you are so wasteful with the opportunities? Gajan was great but they had to at least score once and take it to OT

Reactions: jj cale and vlady

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Every team will have their bad games. Good wake up call for Slovakia here. It will benefit them down the road. Same thing goes for Czech.
A really good goalie makes a big difference.
Hats off to Swiss for a very impressive showing!

HamburgerSK

Jan 18, 2022
Well, almost every game SUI and SVK are playing at any level is a tight game. It was an important win against well skating swiss team. The second slovak line has been invisible so far which actually bears some potential for improving the perfomance of the whole slovak team.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
A good spot by Dave Reid during the TSN brodcast's first intermission pointed out that Beglieri was actually tripped on the play by a Slovakian stick. It should have been a goaltender interference. Definitely not Beglieri's fault.

Oh. I missed it then. Looked to me as if it was Beglieri doing Beglieri things. I'll have to check the highlights. If that's the case it's quite annoying for the Swiss team to lose because of a goal that shouldn't have counted.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You were so right about the Gajan "problem" for the swiss. Wow

Yeah. I told you that the Swiss have the ability to keep this tight. The international junior games between those sides are almost always tight even if there's a skill gap. Switzerland doesn't have a goalie like Gajan so Slovakia was always gonna win an even game. I didn't expect the Swiss to dominate the game though. Expected a lot more from Slovakia, especially after yesterday's result. That Czech team looks very strong on paper. Maybe fatigue was a factor though since Slovakia played yesterday. It shouldn't in game 2 but you never know.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The big question is though where the heck were Matteo Wagner and Ewan Huet. Do the Swiss mickey mouse coaches really see Huet as their nr.3 now and if so, what happened? Huet was the nr.1 in camp and he clearly outplayed Beglieri in exhibitions.

Wagner is a curious case as well since he's a perma scratch. Didn't play any of the exhibition games, still didn't get cut and now sat out vs Slovakia as well. If he's sick or injured, why keep him on the roster and cut a healthy forward instead? Or is he the team's designated press box Nacho tester?

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Yeah. I told you that the Swiss have the ability to keep this tight. The international junior games between those sides are almost always tight even if there's a skill gap. Switzerland doesn't have a goalie like Gajan so Slovakia was always gonna win an even game. I didn't expect the Swiss to dominate the game though. Expected a lot more from Slovakia, especially after yesterday's result. That Czech team looks very strong on paper. Maybe fatigue was a factor though since Slovakia played yesterday. It shouldn't in game 2 but you never know.
It doesn't really, I actually think this is one of the weaker czech teams. Curious about them versus Switzerland.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It doesn't really, I actually think this is one of the weaker czech teams. Curious about them versus Switzerland.
It does. They opted to not select goalies like Milota and Matecha who would be the clear cut nr.1 on any team except Slovakia, Finland and the Czechs themselves. Those two are among the top CHL goalies. Matecha is probably top3. We haven't even talked about the injured Jan Spunar. Upfront they have the AHL's leading scorer and very good depth, therefore decided not to select guys doing well in pro leagues this season like Perez or Felcman.

Granted, they may be regretting their selections already. They're also kinda thin on defense now that they lost not only Dvorak but also Port and Jiricek. Still, this is a very good Czech team. Or at least it should be.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It does. They opted to not select goalies like Milota and Matecha who would be the clear cut nr.1 on any team except Slovakia, Finland and the Czechs themselves. Those two are among the top CHL goalies. Matecha is probably top3. We haven't even talked about the injured Jan Spunar. Upfront they have the AHL's leading scorer and very good depth, therefore decided not to select guys doing well in pro leagues this season like Perez or Felcman.

Granted, they may be regretting their selections already. They're also kinda thin on defense now that they lost not only Dvorak but also Port and Jiricek. Still, this is a very good Czech team. Or at least it should be.
Going in, on paper, we had no major weakness and some strong points (Hrabal in net, very good first line and a solid D core).

Of course, none of that has happened and we got our lunch handed to us.lol

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I gotta say.. I love it. Slovakia wins 3-0 and I'm sensing disapointment. These games are usually OT coin flips.

Keep it going slovkaia! Guarantee our Swiss game will be closer than 3-0.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
A good spot by Dave Reid during the TSN brodcast's first intermission pointed out that Beglieri was actually tripped on the play by a Slovakian stick. It should have been a goaltender interference. Definitely not Beglieri's fault.

I watched the highlights and I still don't see it. If there's contact it's outside of the blue paint. Beglieri was just too aggressive. Lost his net as he always does and then got caught in nowhereland. That's classic Beglieri, not goalie intereference to me. That's what you get if you bring your ~10th best eligible goalie to the WJC20 and decide to start him in game 1. Can't really blame your goalie for a loss if you don't score any goals but that Honzek goal still remains Beglieri's mistake. And it makes you wonder where on earth Ewan Huet was. If he's sick or injured, Switzerland may well get relegated. Beglieri most likely isn't gonna cut it. Grüter has a righty bonus and a little bit of pro experience but he's not significantly better.

Last edited:
Reactions: flemo

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I watched the highlights and I still don't see it. If there's contact it's outside of the blue paint. Beglieri was just too aggressive. Lost his net as he always does and then got caught in nowhereland. That's classic Beglieri, not goalie intereference to me. That's what you get if you bring your ~10th best eligible goalie to the WJC20 and decide to start him in game 1. Can't really blame your goalie for a loss if you don't score any goals but that Honzek goal still remains Beglieri's mistake. And it makes you wonder where on earth Ewan Huet was. If he's sick or injured, Switzerland may well get relegated. Beglieri most likely isn't gonna cut it. Grüter has a righty bonus and a little bit of pro experience but he's not significantly better.
If you saw Reid's segment where they actually looked at it closely using the correct camera instead of random replay then you would have seen it too. However, even if we disregard that, he was still their best player today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad