WJC SF: Jan 3 GDT - Canada vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Leinonen? Player of the game? Must be Brian Burke making that selection, no need to give too much credit to those who deserve it( Rask). Hate to see Rask get it. I was ready to hand it to Heino for his PK work.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
psycho_dad said:
Sweden lost, so they probably would not have made this any better. And they are less physical than Finland.

Actually this game was not that bad in first two periods...now Finland is just too tired. Expected result, could have been a better game if both rested, but Canada deserves to win.

That boarding on Tukonen was brutal, should have been a penalty...but it's no surprise that the refs suck in these games.

I'm sure the game would have been more exciting if Sweden had been playing. The game was very boring.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
SectionX said:
just because we lost doesn't mean we were the worse team...I mean rask was invincible that night. I always love sweden-canada games. This one is at 4-0 and over.

no doubt that finland deserved to advance though since, well it's just like that.

Agree.

SChan*

blacklabel said:
I'm sure the game would have been more exciting if Sweden had been playing. The game was very boring.

thanks for a diplomatic answer. Respect +1 for honesty.

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
Yeah Team Canada! I honestly do not know who I WANT to see Canada play. On one hand, I wanna see the US cause I don't like Russia much, but on the other hand, I don't like the US lol. But one thing remains certain

GO TEAM CANADA GO!

Roger's Pancreas*

deandebean said:
The thing is: I don't even think the USA will be part of the final game. So the point is mute.

I'm having trouble believing that USA will advance. They've got all the talent to do it but something is holding them back. I haven't had the opportunity to follow them all that much so I'm not up to debate the point only to be made a fool.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
El_Scoobo said:
This Komarov for Finland is a dumbass. He cost his team a 2 man advantage to take a cheap shot on someone.

I think Canada gave hits like that all night, so probably surprised even Komarov that it was a penalty. If it would not have been a situation where Canada was gonna have a 5 on 3 PK that would not have been called for sure. But yeah, still stupid of Komarov to give the ref even the slightest excuse.

Congrats to Canada. A deserved win and decent performance. Canada will win gold.

Finland played better than against Sweden, so that restored my faith in medals. They have really been better every game, especially defensively. Still, the defenders suck at offensive play. Rask was pretty good today also, Canada just had better chances than Sweden did...especially 2 on 1 and 3 on 2 rushes, which sweden had absolutely none.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
can the wild trade back their #4 pick from last year pouliot what a bust he's been this tourney.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Weird to see Staal get POG, he has been great the entire tourney but I thought he didn't have a good game at all tonight. GO CANADA GO!

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Panasonic Youth said:
I'm having trouble believing that USA will advance. They've got all the talent to do it but something is holding them back. I haven't had the opportunity to follow them all that much so I'm not up to debate the point only to be made a fool.

Egos?

Noose

Nov 10, 2004
Finland played as "well" as expected. 5-on-5 Canada dominated the game and the only shot for tying the game Finland had was the coming 5-3 PP, which was ruined by Komarov's selfish hit after the whistle.

Rask played extremely well today as well, it just wasn't enough with this offense. And the D wasn't great either, but that's no news. Laakso was certainly the top defenceman in Finland's team and Leppänen came close second. Btw. the guy was pounded by Canada's hits right off the bat, and Canada really made Leppänen know that this wasn't Sweden they were playing against.

The ref was... the usual. Oh well, eh?

Congrats Canada and good luck in the final.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
psycho_dad said:
It just means you were the worse team in that particular game. Goalies are part of a team. So is goal scoring. Better team yesterday was Finland. Not by much...but just enough.

That was his/her point: even though they were the worse team yesterday, that doesn't mean they couldn't have been the better team today (than Finland).

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
blacklabel said:
That was his/her point: even though they were the worse team yesterday, that doesn't mean they couldn't have been the better team today (than Finland).

True. But they were not good enough when it counted, so thats pure speculation. And quite unnecessary speculation too. Like if team finland would have played this kind of defensive game against USA they would have won etc. Won't make a difference either way..

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
psycho_dad said:
True. But they were not good enough when it counted, so thats pure speculation. And quite unnecessary speculation too. Like if team finland would have played this kind of defensive game against USA they would have won etc. Won't make a difference either way..

True.

But I still think that it would have been more exciting hockey game if Sweden had been playing instead of Finland. But anyways, Rask won the game for us and we deserved it because goaltending is part of the game. We do understand each other. ;)

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
psycho_dad said:
I think Canada gave hits like that all night, so probably surprised even Komarov that it was a penalty. If it would not have been a situation where Canada was gonna have a 5 on 3 PK that would not have been called for sure. But yeah, still stupid of Komarov to give the ref even the slightest excuse.

Congrats to Canada. A deserved win and decent performance. Canada will win gold.

Finland played better than against Sweden, so that restored my faith in medals. They have really been better every game, especially defensively. Still, the defenders suck at offensive play. Rask was pretty good today also, Canada just had better chances than Sweden did...especially 2 on 1 and 3 on 2 rushes, which sweden had absolutely none.
My thoughts exactly.

I can't help saying congrats to Canada for winning the semifinal of the world junior powerplay/shorthanded championships :shakehead
Just too many penalties called man.

And seeing the finnish D so far in this tournament answers the question what it wuold look like if your entire defense consisted of Aki Berg's. :shakehead

Probably the worst D ever for Finland in the wjc's.
We lost the physical game 100-0 tonight, some of our players looked like little girls out there.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Matti_A said:
My thoughts exactly.

I can't help saying congrats to Canada for winning the semifinal of the world junior powerplay/shorthanded championships :shakehead
Just too many penalties called man.

And seeing the finnish D so far in this tournament answers the question what it wuold look like if your entire defense consisted of Aki Berg's. :shakehead

Probably the worst D ever for Finland in the wjc's.
We lost the physical game 100-0 tonight, some of our players looked like little girls out there.

a Defense of 6 Berg's would be bad, you'd have 1 all-star defender and 5 pylons :sarcasm:

TheDynasty

Aug 8, 2005
Red said:
Weird to see Staal get POG, he has been great the entire tourney but I thought he didn't have a good game at all tonight. GO CANADA GO!

Letang was probably Canada's best d-man tonight in my opinion.

Hopefully some of the Canadian scorers can get going a bit more, it's nice that they have only 6 goals against in the tournament, but to take the Gold, Canada is gonna need to start scoring some more goals.

With his 5th assist, Bourdon ties Emelin for tournament points from a defensemen and ties Boyd for the scoring lead on Canada. Well this is good for the Canadian defensemen, it doesn't say much about our forwards.

PP needs some serious help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad