WJC QF2: Jan 2 GDT - Finland vs. Russia (4-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
Porilaista hulluutta !!!

Masi just showed that he is a player of big games. I really hope we will see him back home next season. He really is helluva insane guy. He is just what Ässät need for next season.

nazzy

Mar 6, 2002
BC
www.gocanucks.net
nazzy said:
I don't want to predict this in terms of diminishing hopes of seeing Krikunov and Grot play but I do believe that the host country Finland will put forth a strong effort and squeak a 4-3 win over Russia.

thumbs_up.gif

Krikunov finally got an assist though, but now my chance of seeing them play is over. :(

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
I was at the game, just got home. Christ that was exciting, I swear I'm going to have a heart attack on one of these games. I was holding the seat knuckles white everytime Russian's got the puck moving, so excuse for not really noticing invidual Russian players.

So what happened? Classic high skill team against a blue collar (pun intented) club. Finns were hitting everything and Ovechkin in particular, Russians really moved the puck impressively when they found space. Oh and Ovechkin, I don't know what kind of demi-god he is supposed to be but I was impressed. He had an excellent chance earlier on the game apart from the goal he scored and narrowly missed, Finns didn't stop him , they barely contained him. Anyway, Marjamäki and Töykkälä were excellent, the ref let the kids play and they sure took advantage of it. It was an up and down game, but I think the key points in the game was in late second period. Russians started wearing down with the hard hitting, couple of their guys raised their sticks up while being hit and soon the Russians got a high sticking penalty. They also got two penaltys for too many men on ice, coaching :lol: Basicly the ref skated over to tell that the sticks stay down or they are penalized at the end of the second.

Either they were tried or the coach told them to cool down and play defence, or perhaps both, but the Russians played very passively in the third and tried to score on counterattacks. They had couple good chances and Toivonen made some excellent saves. Finns kept the presure and although Ovechkin scored after a horrible turnover by Marjamäki, Lepistö set Masi up with a beatiful opening pass and Masi countered with somewhat soft goal on a breakaway (through the five hole.) Filppula and Bergenheim (ease up on him, OK?) crearted some excellent chances for Nokelainen but Barulin made good saves. The winner was one of those Tommy Salo goals, for Barulin's credit, the puck flew wierldly mainly (possibly because it was bouncing when Filppula shot it.)

Great effort by the Lions, Russian's played hard too, but the Finns just wanted it more.

SIBIR

Dec 9, 2003
Berlin - Novosibirsk
CSKA said:
Hey Seröga :( Na ja hauptsache unser Jugendprogramm funkt wieder ! Vielleicht ist Churilov oder Vasynov schon der nächste Kovalchuk :yo:

Vasyunov will be awesome ... alone his name is great VASYA!!!!!!! :D

We lost against the Fins (good luck Finland, i hope you will win!!) and we are out of the tournament .. but we still have Malkin, Ovechkin, Semin, Anshakov, Trubachov, Shkotov, Krikunov ... good material for the future :D

Dr_Chimera*

SIBIR said:
Vasyunov will be awesome ... alone his name is great VASYA!!!!!!! :D

We lost against the Fins (good luck Finland, i hope you will win!!) and we are out of the tournament .. but we still have Malkin, Ovechkin, Semin, Anshakov, Trubachov, Shkotov, Krikunov ... good material for the future :D

There is promise on the horizon...

We won our share of close games with Finland in the last few years - unfortunately luck isn't always on your side, so it was the Finns' turn for a break.

Some thoughts

...as seen just on my VCR (had to tape it - there were Finnish version of the Idols on).

# Russian´s first goal was result of stupid play by Jalasvaara and Oksa. Both have been underachivers in my book.

# About Lennart Petrell. Petrell had a breakaway. Just as when he was facing the goalie he just shoved the puck to another corner. Just like in some hockey videogame someone pushed the wrong button - should have pressed "shoot", but accidentaly pushed "pass". Russian 2-1 goal was a gift from Lennu Petrell. Stupid pass on their blueline, Evgeny Malkin intercepted and three russians were having a breakaway against single Finnish defenceman Kalteva.

Petrell is the kind of guy you don`t want have on your roster - if you like winning. The guy looks like a Pejorative Slur and plays like one. His appearance reminds me Corky from the "Life Goes on" . Check out his picture: http://www.hifk.fi/img/naamat/32naama.jpg

# Great game from Masi Marjamäki. He was interviewed after the first period and his answers were unusually full of confidence. Excilent pass from Sami Lepistö and Marjamäki had a breakaway. Fifth hole and whoop there it is. Marjamäki also tried run into everything that was red.

# Valtteri Filppula is the soul of Finnish powerplay. Too bad his older brother isn`t half as good as him. Just awesome game from Valtteri once again.

# The goal by Ovechin was a beauty and there were four Finns to keep him in control. Ville Varakas tried to hit him and get him out of position, but Ovechin was just too strong.

# The gamewinner was result from two mistakes. First Semin gave horrible pass under his own blue line that Filppula intercepted. Quick wrist shot went very easily to the net behind Konstantin Barulin. Goalie`s goal.

# In my opinion the referee was okey.

# Best players of Team Russian were Semin before his stupid mistake. Russian defence has been critized, but I thought that they seemed ok. Defenceman #4 Andrej Spiridonov caught my eye in a positive sense.

EDIT: added link to Petrell`s/Corky`s picture

Last edited:

chicpea*

I've heard about Barulin's tears already, but I just read a recap that says that after the game, Barulin's "teammates" didn't "console him for a second and left him standing alone at his end alone like an orphan." Um, that is just not classy at all. Others above have mentioned that the Fins were a "team" and that the Russians weren't playing like one. This story would certainly confirm that suggestion.
I'm not trying to get the Russians here riled up (and I know you guys probably agree with me), but I just find this disgusting and if Canada's players did such a thing, I know for a fact they would be raked over the coals in the press for months - they'd deserve it too.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
SergeiK said:
...as seen just on my VCR (had to tape it - there were Finnish version of the Idols on).

# About Lennart Petrell. Petrell had a breakaway. Just as when he was facing the goalie he just shoved the puck to another corner. Just like in some hockey videogame someone pushed the wrong button - should have pressed "shoot", but accidentaly pushed "pass". Russian 2-1 goal was a gift from Lennu Petrell. Stupid pass on their blueline, Evgeny Malkin intercepted and three russians were having a breakaway against single Finnish defenceman Kalteva.

Petrell is the kind of guy you don`t want have on your roster - if you like winning. The guy looks like a Pejorative Slur and plays like one. His appearance reminds me Corky from the "Life Goes on"

You forgot to mention that Petrell also made the best move by any Finn in this tournament. He seems to be the kind of player you love to watch and hate to coach.

Sampe said:
You forgot to mention that Petrell also made the best move by any Finn in this tournament. He seems to be the kind of player you love to watch and hate to coach.
I also forgot to mention about his stupid penalties.

And about that "best move". I presume that you´re talking about his diversion with his foot. What good it is when doing so Petrell drifted behind the net? The purpose of this game is to score. Yeah, it looked cool but due to that he couldn`t turn himself at the front of the net and create a scoring chance. It was a just a trick to impress the scouts. A trick that was made in Team Finland`s expense. What does it do for team spririt when there is a guy who plays only for Lennart Petrell - not for the team?

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
chicpea said:
I've heard about Barulin's tears already, but I just read a recap that says that after the game, Barulin's "teammates" didn't "console him for a second and left him standing alone at his end alone like an orphan." Um, that is just not classy at all. Others above have mentioned that the Fins were a "team" and that the Russians weren't playing like one. This story would certainly confirm that suggestion.
I'm not trying to get the Russians here riled up (and I know you guys probably agree with me), but I just find this disgusting and if Canada's players did such a thing, I know for a fact they would be raked over the coals in the press for months - they'd deserve it too.

I dont think barulin got much help from his team again becasue they were outshot 36 to 22.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
SergeiK said:
I also forgot to mention about his stupid penalties.

And about that "best move". I presume that you´re talking about his diversion with his foot. What good it is when doing so Petrell drifted behind the net? The purpose of this game is to score. Yeah, it looked cool but due to that he couldn`t turn himself at the front of the net and create a scoring chance. It was a just a trick to impress the scouts. A trick that was made in Team Finland`s expense. What does it do for team spririt when there is a guy who plays only for Lennart Petrell - not for the team?

I believe this attitude is why we don't have any ppg players in the NHL. :p

edit: besides, Petrell CAN score when he feels like it...here's the proof:

http://www.hifkjrs.com/petrell_vct.mpg

Last edited:
Sampe said:
edit: besides, Petrell CAN score when he feels like it...
I see. So tonight he just didn`t feel like scoring? That would explain that absolutely mad pass to the lone corner on his breakaway. Maybe he was thinking "gee, I don`t feel like scoring tonight" and tossed the puck away. It has to be, because there is no other explanation to his solution.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
SergeiK said:
I see. So tonight he just didn`t feel like scoring? That would explain that absolutely mad pass to the lone corner on his breakaway. Maybe he was thinking "gee, I don`t feel like scoring tonight" and tossed the puck away. It has to be, because there is no other explanation to his solution.

That's funny!

Dr_Chimera*

chicpea said:

Well, I wouldn't buy everything that Alan Adams says, but I didn't like Ishmatov's quote at all. Saying that goaltending was the difference is just silly - goaltending has been a weakness for years now and Medvedev was far from superior - he just didn't have to face 36 shots a game last year.

Barulin is part of the blame - I hear that at least one of the goals he allowed was kind of weak, but when the Finns outshoot you, you plain suck. You just do - you don't pin it on one guy (no offense to team Finland - they should be proud, but they were better last year than this one).

But then again, this whole non-consolation stuff - frankly, many teams when they lose don't really console each other. They usually just stand and cry their eyes out. Then again, if the players really did place all the blame on Barulin, then shame on them. But I don't buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad