WJC QF2: Jan 2 GDT - Finland vs. Russia (4-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
SergeiK said:
I see. So tonight he just didn`t feel like scoring? That would explain that absolutely mad pass to the lone corner on his breakaway. Maybe he was thinking "gee, I don`t feel like scoring tonight" and tossed the puck away. It has to be, because there is no other explanation to his solution.

Like I said...great player to watch, awful to coach. ;)

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
This team somewhat reminded Russian team of 2001 with Kovalchuk, Svitov, Grebechkov, Chistov and some others. That team sucked as none other Soviet/Russian junior team ever but then next year they won gold (without Kovalchuk by the way).

2003 Russian team didn't show great performance as expected (though I beleive they had great potential). It has good players that may come back next year:
F: Ovechkin(?), Malkin, Pestunov, Shafigulin, D: Ezhov, Kosmatchev, Grot;
then add guys of 1985 year F: like Khomutov, Alexandrov(?), Makarov, Glazachev, Stasyuk, Chernikh, Nikulin; maybe few 1986 borneys: Lisin, Plyushev, Shitikov, Lemtyugov; D: Vorobiev, (maybe) Garipov (6'1 220lbs) and huge crop in face of 1986 born players like Lyamin (6'3), Belov (6'3), Klimov (6'3), Karetin (6'3), Mikhaylishin (6'4) (somewhat reminds young Canadian defence this year).
With good coaching staff (grrrr Ishmatov go to hell, lol) this team can be capable on some big things.

Last edited:

Dr_Chimera*

Slay said:
This team somewhat reminded Russian team of 2001 with Kovalchuk, Svitov, Grebechkov, Chistov and some others. That team sucked as none other Soviet/Russian junior team ever but then next year they won gold (without Kovalchuk by the way).

2003 Russian team didn't show great performance as expected (though I beleive they had great potential). It has good players that may come back next year:
F: Ovechkin(?), Malkin, Pestunov, Shafigulin, D: Ezhov, Kosmatchev, Grot;
then add guys of 1985 year F: like Khomutov, Alexandrov(?), Makarov, Glazachev, Stasyuk; few 1986 borneys: Lisin, Plyushev, Shitikov, Lemtyugov; D: Vorobiev, (maybe) Garipov (6'1 220lbs) and huge crop in face of 1986 born players like Lyamin (6'3), Belov (6'3), Klimov (6'3), Karetin (6'3), Mikhaylishin (6'4) (somewhat reminds young Canadian defence this year).
With good coaching staff (grrrr Ishmatov go to hell, lol) this team can be capable on some big things.

Some other names: Radulov, Khomutov, Yunkov, Voloshenko and Sopin
(among the forwards)
Pervyshin, Anikeenko
(among the d-men)

btw, somewhere out there Anton Babchuk is having a chuckle.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Dr_Chimera said:
Some other names: Radulov, Khomutov, Yunkov, Voloshenko and Sopin
(among the forwards)
Pervyshin, Anikeenko
(among the d-men)

And if to sum up coaches will have good selection

Last edited:

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Lord said:
Once again read my friend's, who watched the game on TV, opinion after the game. He has no doubt that canadian referee killed us. It was 3-2 when Semin was obviously illegaly thrown down on the ice trying to make a breakway. Second after finnish counterattack and 3-3. And no penalty for Finnish player with five minutes to go in the last period for checking from behind. I know its the last thing to blame referees, but home team always get support from them.

He forgot to mention that Russia got the 3-2 goal from clear as day tripping.

It is the last thing to blame the referee when you are totally outshot, outhit and outworked all game long. And if we want to discuss about soft goals, Ovechkins shot that went in wasnt a real rocket or very accurate one. Right in the middle of the net, unfortunately Toivonen had dropped down and failed to move his glove up for a few inches.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
A tremendous odour on the game changing goals today. halak letting in a pathetic dribbler and Barulin with his best Richard Sevigny glove across the body impression. He short armed it, like a combination of Dean Palmer at third and Ricky Watters trying to catch a pass put of the back field. Little wonder there were tears, fitting end . I have a bone to pick with Barulin anyway, all the garbage i hear about him being #1 Euro pick last year. Ehelechner is the best from Europe's class. Russia had alot of problems to contend with and it just was not their year. My one viewing of the Finns left me wondering if they would get to the cross=overs. they have picked up their game and spirit and may-MAY challenge the US. The US are strong and ready. Should be good.
Ishmatov should shut his yap. It was his contribution to chaos as much as anything that hindered the Russians. Fire after fire he created and could not put out.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
SergeiK said:
I see. So tonight he just didn`t feel like scoring? That would explain that absolutely mad pass to the lone corner on his breakaway. Maybe he was thinking "gee, I don`t feel like scoring tonight" and tossed the puck away. It has to be, because there is no other explanation to his solution.

Russian dman made a great play chasing Petrell down and poking the puck away. The whole fourth line was pretty bad though.

mlä

Sergeik- What happened in Sammatti? What was wrong in Finnish history teached at school? Conversation was stopped last time....

HYVÄ SUOMIIIIIIIII!

mlä said:
Sergeik- What happened in Sammatti? What was wrong in Finnish history teached at school? Conversation was stopped last time....

HYVÄ SUOMIIIIIIIII!
Very cool. I think it`s great that we see these sport events as a chance to make up wrong-doings of history. Wake up - the war is over. But I`m happy that due this victory your finally made up with the russians. It was about time.

And it`s funny that you see me as anti-Finnish because I don`t like the way Lennart Petrell played on these games. So it`s not patriotic to critize crappy players on your team? Have to remember that...

This is about hockey and nothing else.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
chicpea said:
I've heard about Barulin's tears already, but I just read a recap that says that after the game, Barulin's "teammates" didn't "console him for a second and left him standing alone at his end alone like an orphan." Um, that is just not classy at all.

All I saw that Team Russia's back-up goalie were consoling him. The others weren't consoling him as in a team others should be. Normally after thing like this team mates console the goalie (or any other player who screwed up) briefly and then again in the dressing room.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Lord said:
Once again read my friend's, who watched the game on TV, opinion after the game. He has no doubt that canadian referee killed us. It was 3-2 when Semin was obviously illegaly thrown down on the ice trying to make a breakway. Second after finnish counterattack and 3-3. And no penalty for Finnish player with five minutes to go in the last period for checking from behind. I know its the last thing to blame referees, but home team always get support from them. :dunno:
The decisive goal was Barulin's brutal fault.
Anyway Hannu Aravirta is a great coach and he did a really good job to lift his still mediocre, IMO, team so far. A very good coach and nice man to speak about hockey. Used to talk with him once. Year, it was great.

Referee was fair and equal to both teams.
Remember Russia's 3-2 goal was scored after a Russian took Jalasvaara's legs out from under him and Russia scored 30 seconds later from a play that resulted from that illegal challenge..
The referee did disappear in the 3rd period, which is bad, referees who don't have guts to blow whistle in 3rd period should be forced to retire, but he was even and fair, as both sides benefitted and suffered from his non-calls evenly..

About those tears. There are excilent writing about WJC 1999 when Finland was eliminated by Russia. Story about Mika Lehto`s tears:

http://slam.canoe.ca/99WorldJuniors/jan3_finn.html

This is what love about WJC`s. The purity of emotions. Tears. Disapointment. Overhelmin joy.

As seen on TV the russian goalie Konstantin Barulin consoled by their back-up goalie Denis Khudyakov (as Padawan said). Tv-cameras didn`t show what the rest of the Russian team were doing.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
I know I'm kinda late, but I'll comment on this game...

I knew this was coming ever since the tie against Slovakia, I had a gut feeling that Russia was going to go home without a medal. I also had a lot of confidence in the very under-rated Finland squad to beat Russia. I always felt like true champion should play like champs through the whole tournament and it's good to see the top 2 teams battle it out for the gold, because they both deserve it as both them played equally as good. Looks like my prediction of Canada-USA-Finland 123 may very well come true...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad