WJC QF2: Jan 2 GDT - Finland vs. Russia (4-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
WJC QF: Jan 2 GDT - Finland vs. Russia

The hosting nation against a Russian team that hasn't impressed anyone.. yet, that is.
Should be pretty tight.

Prediction:
3-2 Russia

dragonwyck

Hopefully Barulin starts and actually gets a little help from the defense this time.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm going with somewhat of an upset here. I think Finland, in front of the home crowd will pull out a hotly contested victory by a score of 4-3, setting up a semi-final match-up against the U.S.

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Good choices, except for the final!!! :p
I also hope the canada win it all but I think Canada needs a true Game Breaker ( ala Parise ) to win the final. I love Burns Carter Stewart ... but Parise is Simply Amazing. Crosby will be our New God next year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Cayouche5 said:
I also hope the canada win it all but I think Canada needs a true Game Breaker ( ala Parise ) to win the final. I love Burns Carter Stewart ... but Parise is Simply Amazing. Crosby will be our New God next year.

A Canada/U.S. final would be outstanding. I think the dynamic of the bigger Canadian team, vs the IMO quicker U.S. team would be awesome.

chicpea*

Russia 5-2. Yes, they will finally show up...right when they have to. Of course, I'm hoping for the Fins. Go Filpulla.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Finland wins this one 4 - 1! Toivonen stands on his head and wins this one for the Finns! Russia fails to come through.

Sets up a semi against the USA, who they beat 4 - 1 in exhibition!

nazzy

Mar 6, 2002
BC
www.gocanucks.net
I don't want to predict this in terms of diminishing hopes of seeing Krikunov and Grot play but I do believe that the host country Finland will put forth a strong effort and squeak a 4-3 win over Russia.

Aver33

Apr 26, 2002
Russia will win this game 4-2. Ovechkin will step it up when he needs too and scores two goals. One of them an empty netter. Close game till then.

Last edited:

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
In my experience, teams rarely turn their game around mid-tourney and thus I think Finns are slight favourites here. Still haven't seen Russia, but the reports coming in from Hämeenlinna suggest that apart from couple forwards the team is playing badly. I expect a fairly high score, Finns will propably forecheck the Russian defenceman hard and Russian's PK has been horrendous while Finns PP is OK. OTOH, Jalasvaara-Ovechkin one-on-one gives me creeps, and on the whole Finns dmen after the top three of Lepistö, Kalteva and Kantee have been shaky, more so now that Korpikari is out.

To sum up. Finns win if they can score and don't play too passively. Russians win if their forwards can outscore Finns and if they can stay out the penalty box. Prediction: 5-3 Finns, special teams and goaltending being the decisive factor.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but is this the game that will be shown on NHL Center Ice (for Digital Cable)?

Bud The Spud*

Jacobv2 said:
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but is this the game that will be shown on NHL Center Ice (for Digital Cable)?

I'm pretty sure the game being shown is Slovakia vs. Czech Republic.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Finland 3-1 Russia

Toivonen stops Russia, while Filppula,Tukonen and Lepistö score.

Petrell hammers one of the Russians and gets a 5 minute penalty in which Russia nearly score a dozen times but don't..

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Team Finland head coach Aravirta said in an interview that Russia has many talented individuals but Team Finland will try to win them as a team rather than individuals. In a team sport the one that plays better as a team usually wins but this can go either way. We got the better goalie but Russians got the better forwards so it's really hard to predict the winner in this one. Still, I hope that Team Finland wins by 2-3 goals margin.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Rabid Ranger said:
A Canada/U.S. final would be outstanding. I think the dynamic of the bigger Canadian team, vs the IMO quicker U.S. team would be awesome.

US team is talented but Canada has better team speed.

Dr_Chimera*

The last thing either Canada or US would want to see is a revitalized Russia team, because we all know what'll happen if Russia wakes up - déjà vu.

Sundried TOmato

Oct 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Dr_Chimera said:
The last thing either Canada or US would want to see is a revitalized Russia team, because we all know what'll happen if Russia wakes up - déjà vu.
I don't think the Russians will make it past the Finns. I am hugely disappointed in the Russian team performance so far. I predict a 1:4 loss to Finland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad